• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

on peak/off peak, ticket overcharging

Status
Not open for further replies.

streamliner

On Moderation
Hello.

I found that I was being overcharged at a city station turn-style. It took a while to realise, as I trusted them.

I would check the prices on my computer before leaving the house, buy a permit ticket at the departure station,
as it was closed at 5pm and when reaching the barrier in the city the ticket officers would always firmly insist that it
was 'on peak' time, even though it was 'off peak ' for when arriving at the station. (on peak was leaving the city)

I noticed no matter how hard I insisted it should be a lower fare, and that i saw this lower fare cost on the computer, they
would flat out refuse and even threaten a fine to force me to concede. So I would be pressured to pay for an expensive
Anytime On peak ticket that I did not need. They were also aggressive when I tried to get a refund, even after a ticket office
manager said i was overcharged. But this requires 3 paragraphs to explain

So, I read up on the rules and regulations, the principles these staff are meant to follow.

On another occasion the officer took my bank note, said nothing and gave me a small amount of change,
not even stating the cost or enquiring into my desired return time. I was again overcharged with On peak 'Anytime'
when it was not even an option on their public computer interface, as it was almost 6pm.

So I questioned this officer about the principles, the code of conduct.

Although he agreed to the principles and admitted he should have talked to me about my journey, he still refused to back down
claiming it was 'on peak',

Eventually, after much debate, he did finally back down and said to the effect : I am not allowed to sell off peak tickets.

These young people are told not to obey the law. they are told to sell expensive tickets when off peak is an option.

I could even see the off peak option on his hand held device.

This type of overcharging was happening frequently, I saw it happen to others too.

I have a transcript . but I am not sure if I can post that info here?

I thought someone might be interested to hear this.

All the best

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
OK, you've posted this on several threads this afternoon. Please use this thread to expand on exactly what you are saying. We need details including stations involved, times of travel, dates of travel. It is never as simple as on-peak and off-peak.

Veteran Member
The OP appears to have posted in similar terms last August. They were then asked to provide relevant information, and chose not to do so. We know that they have chosen to use a Permit to Travel (or perhaps a Promise to Pay).
Unless Yorkie, who offered assistance last time, is able to assist, I think we will struggle to advise.

Apologies, I hadn't picked up the contributions on the "cash only" thread.

streamliner

On Moderation
OK, you've posted this on several threads this afternoon. Please use this thread to expand on exactly what you are saying. We need details including stations involved, times of travel, dates of travel. It is never as simple as on-peak and off-peak.

Hi Thank you for your reply Mike, much appreciated.

I am happy to give details of what happened and even how my initial complaint progressed.

It has been established by the company that i was over charged on both these cases I mentioned above and that I was sold the wrong ticket.

But I do not feel I can not give the company name away when I am making harsh accusations. It does not feel right as I do not understand
all the implications.

However, I feel fine to talk about my experience without naming people. Is that a problem?

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I think it would be best for you to communicate via private conversation with one of the moderators about your case and how appropriate or not it is to discuss it on the forum.

While we would never want personal or highly sensitive information (e.g. anything that could identify an individual member of staff) to be disclosed on here for all to see, it is important that institutionalised wrong doing is called out.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
But I do not feel I can not give the company name away when I am making harsh accusations. It does not feel right as I do not understand
all the implications.
Unless you have signed a non-disclosure agreement, and as long as you are telling the truth, there will be no implications. Feel free to start a conversation (private message essentially) with me and I can advise whether there is anything to worry about.

What you have posted so far is pretty much irrelevant and a waste of time. It tells us nothing of any use.

streamliner

On Moderation
hello i tried to send you a message Mike it says:

Problem: " This is likely because your content is spam-like or contains inappropriate elements. Please change your content or try again later. If you still have problems, please contact an administrator. "

i tried a fair few times, with no copy pastes or images, I just typed a few sentences. Maybe as I only have 8 posts?

Status
Not open for further replies.