• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

On-train catering

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackman

Established Member
Good to hear that "at seat" has returned on Avanti. I saw the website had been updated but wasn't sure what to expect.
This must have happened fairly recently and yes good to hear.
Avanti now do an at seat ordering service in Standard too. You can go online and order something from the shop and either go and collect it or have it delivered to your seat.
Apparently this is a bit a hit and miss as they can switch off the delivery option if they don't have enough crew.
I didn't visit it as in 1st Class - Table Service on both.
@Butts, with Avanti did they offer tea and coffee? Couldn't see it mentioned on your previous post.

Butts

Veteran Member
This must have happened fairly recently and yes good to hear.

Apparently this is a bit a hit and miss as they can switch off the delivery option if they don't have enough crew.

@Butts, with Avanti did they offer tea and coffee? Couldn't see it mentioned on your previous post.

Indeed and they did.

Both Operators came around took the orders then delivered it in a brown bag to your table.

Certainly not if I'm onboard :E

Seriously very few imbibe and it's a nice touch in keeping up with Airlines in higher categories.
Exactly ... For my EUS-GLC trips, without the usual full first class service (and ability to work) I'd be switching to the plane.

dk1

Veteran Member
Exactly ... For my EUS-GLC trips, without the usual full first class service (and ability to work) I'd be switching to the plane.
You’d still be able to work. Surely it’s not that bad that flying could be considered.

Scotrail314209

Established Member
Scotrail stopped during the First lockdown, with the on-train hosts redeployed to cleaning duties onboard on the trains. Haven't seen any since September.

I wonder if Scotrail will quietly drop it, I hope they don't because the trolley is selling point and well utilised on the likes of Inverness and West Highland trains.

Huntergreed

Established Member
Associate Staff
Events Co-ordinator
Scotrail stopped during the First lockdown, with the on-train hosts redeployed to cleaning duties onboard on the trains. Haven't seen any since September.

I wonder if Scotrail will quietly drop it, I hope they don't because the trolley is selling point and well utilised on the likes of Inverness and West Highland trains.
It would be daft considering they have a buffet and space for complimentary first class service on their HST’s too

dk1

Veteran Member

Was it because Scotland are a little behind with lifting the restrictions? Catering is back in earnest now on many TOCs since the 12th & will be more so no doubt from next months further lifting. It does seem that some are a little less ambitious & taking their time for some reason.

JModulo

Was it because Scotland are a little behind with lifting the restrictions? Catering is back in earnest now on many TOCs since the 12th & will be more so no doubt from next months further lifting. It does seem that some are a little less ambitious & taking their time for some reason.
ScotRail seem to be dragging their heels with bringing back several things, catering and ticket checks being another.

westv

Established Member
You’d still be able to work. Surely it’s not that bad that flying could be considered.
Looking at the LNER website 1st class catering looks mediocre compared to normal.

dk1

Veteran Member
Looking at the LNER website 1st class catering looks mediocre compared to normal.
No free alcohol and their strange alcohol ban seems to be what's upsetting many.

ScotRail seem to be dragging their heels with bringing back several things, catering and ticket checks being another.
Very odd how different they all are.

Last edited:

scotrail158713

Established Member
Evening services as well. The last train on the North Berwick line is around 19:45 currently.
Hopefully this will change during May at some point.

kez19

Established Member
Just since some have spoken about LNER, it does seem pretty basic they are catering for on the trains(?), including in both first/standard.

I noticed they aren't selling hot food but can do hot drinks? Any ideas of if even when hot food would return?

route101

Established Member
Tickets checks back from next Monday I overheard today. As for catering who knows.

takno

Established Member
Just since some have spoken about LNER, it does seem pretty basic they are catering for on the trains(?), including in both first/standard.

I noticed they aren't selling hot food but can do hot drinks? Any ideas of if even when hot food would return?
I'm not aware of hot food having stopped. It's back down to hot sandwiches these days anyway, so they may just not be carrying any stock of the hot ones at the moment to avoid wastage.

The alcohol ban is annoying, but not as annoying as the standard class Azuma seats, and at least alcohol will make it back at some point.

Butts

Veteran Member
I'm not aware of hot food having stopped. It's back down to hot sandwiches these days anyway, so they may just not be carrying any stock of the hot ones at the moment to avoid wastage.

The alcohol ban is annoying, but not as annoying as the standard class Azuma seats, and at least alcohol will make it back at some point.

It was not offered on the All Day on Avanti or LNER in 1st Class last week.

Perhaps you get a hot " bacon roll" on an AM service.

Forget the food bring back the Alcohol !!

kez19

Established Member

In morning it’s porridge or bacon roll, but rest of day it doesn’t appear according to the site they ain’t doing it, I did find their menu pre-Covid where they done a chicken tikka naanster but as above nothing like that is featured hopefully policy changes in next month or so

LNER lets eat menu (pre-covid)...

Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member

Believe me the First Class Ones aren't' much better. - bring back HST's :E

I'm "running the Border" Friday and Saturday on LNER to Newcastle and Durham so will report back.

takno

Established Member
Believe me the First Class Ones aren't' much better. - bring back HST's :E

I'm "running the Border" Friday and Saturday on LNER to Newcastle and Durham so will report back.
The first class ones are a lot better because they aren't bolt-upright. Went on one today and didn't end up with the usual bad back at all. Ride quality was rubbish, my actually assigned seat was broken, and the free catering is rubbish at the minute, but comfort-wise the first class seats are every bit as good as the old standard class ones.

Butts

Veteran Member
The first class ones are a lot better because they aren't bolt-upright. Went on one today and didn't end up with the usual bad back at all. Ride quality was rubbish, my actually assigned seat was broken, and the free catering is rubbish at the minute, but comfort-wise the first class seats are every bit as good as the old standard class ones.

But not as good as the old 1st Class ones ?

johntea

Established Member
The 'excuse' would be a need to cut costs - I doubt it's all that cheap to provide the booze.

I could buy a litre bottle of Vodka from the supermarket for £15 and that is 40 passengers sorted for a round! (unless they were really having a party and doing doubles but still 20 passengers @ 75p each!) :D

I was pleasantly surprised on a 45 minute LBA - Amsterdam KLM flight last year they were round with a complimentary beer (or soft drink) and snack service for all passengers!

Out of interest do TOCs have to have an alcohol license / premises license?

Status
Not open for further replies.