• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

On-train catering

Status
Not open for further replies.

_toommm_

Established Member
Just asking if TP have catering on LIV-NCL service as I am travelling LIV-YRK at the weekend so just asking if I should buy before I board or will they have hot drinks etc on the train. The trainline and RTT show that there should be catering on this service

Still no catering on TPE services.

I do miss their filter coffees - they were the highlight of my commute.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

dave87016

Established Member
Does anyone know if the trolley service on the settle - Carlisle line is currently running these days if could anyone tell me which services please

Many thanks in advance

_toommm_

Established Member
Does anyone know if the trolley service on the settle - Carlisle line is currently running these days if could anyone tell me which services please

Many thanks in advance

It's definitely running. As far as I'm aware it's the usual daytime services. Operates between Settle and Appleby according to the FoSCL website.

dave87016

Established Member
It's definitely running. As far as I'm aware it's the usual daytime services. Operates between Settle and Appleby according to the FoSCL website.
Cheers mate for your reply I appreciate it , I have a couple of complimentary northern vouchers and using them to get decent mileage on the 158’s unfortunately Leeds - Nottingham’s seem to be 195’s

I’ve done a couple of Leeds - Carlisle’s lately but not seen the trolley

_toommm_

Established Member
Cheers mate for your reply I appreciate it , I have a couple of complimentary northern vouchers and using them to get decent mileage on the 158’s unfortunately Leeds - Nottingham’s seem to be 195’s

I’ve done a couple of Leeds - Carlisle’s lately but not seen the trolley

Weird. I did the Three Yorkshire Peaks two weeks ago and the trolley was definitely there.

As it's staffed by volunteers it could be a bit hit and miss though.

D6130

Established Member
Any inkling yet as to when the TfW catering service is likely to restart, now that the mark 4 stock is entering service on the Cardiff-Holyheads?

Spamcan81

It's not free. You have to spend a really quite large amount of money on a first class ticket. It would take a dedicated liver and a really attentive steward for the train company to not end up ahead on the deal.

Not necessarily so. I travelled to York and back on June 10th and Advance first was slightly cheaper than Advance Standard. Came as a pleasant surprise. In the morning the free offering was a bacon or vegetarian bap, tea or coffee and a bottle of water. In the evening it was a massive chicken salad or egg mayo roll, packet of crisps, tea or coffee and a bottle of water.

Butts

Veteran Member

Is this allegedly related to social distancing ?

Honestly they need to see what is happening in the Air .

Scotrail's catering was never up to much anyway.

Not necessarily so. I travelled to York and back on June 10th and Advance first was slightly cheaper than Advance Standard. Came as a pleasant surprise. In the morning the free offering was a bacon or vegetarian bap, tea or coffee and a bottle of water. In the evening it was a massive chicken salad or egg mayo roll, packet of crisps, tea or coffee and a bottle of water.

Well that's a first or have you got a small appetite ?

Big Tim

LNER have just issued me with a complimentary miniature bottle of red wine (187ml) just south of Durham. (In first, I assume there will be booze for sale at the buffet- cannot confirm that so please don’t shoot the messenger).

There was a crew change at Newcastle, the Waverley crew had announced the alcohol ban was still in place so I was taken aback when wine was offered. No spirits available from what I could ascertain

sandwich selection also finally changed!

island

Veteran Member
Could be different rules in Scotland, I guess? I am only just about keeping up with the English ones.

Big Tim

Could be different rules in Scotland, I guess? I am only just about keeping up with the English ones.
Could well be. Everything was a bit "off-piste" menu-wise. I boarded at Dundee at 1107. Bacon rolls all round for Dundee and Leuchars passengers (with the offer of seconds too). I had expected the All Day sandwiches by that time, but this service used to often run a later breakfast offering before all the Covid issues.

Waverley saw a crew change, and one of the gentlemen went round with his (Iphone lookalike) device, taking orders for the long running Chicken/Salad Sub or Egg&Cress sandwich. However, there had been a change of menu (and different items loaded to those anticipated) - which seemingly the staff were initially unaware of. Thus, the two gents then had a change of plan and brought out the food trolley, offering Ham/Salad or Cheese Ploughmans sandwiches. This caused a bit of confusion as people had already ordered, and were unsure if the original food orders would be following served "at seat" in the paper bags as per recent journies, thus were hesitant to request more food. A welcome menu change (personally speaking), but neither the website, nor the first class hosts "app" had been updated which made this a bit of a difficult service for those attempting to execute it, and for passengers trying to work out what they were being offered / delivered!

As I mentioned, the wine made it's first appearance (in my experience) for the best part of fifteen months on this route, but only south of Newcastle. I assume things will be clarified by LNER at some point. My thoughts were this menu change / removal of the alcohol restrictions could be to coincide with the anticipated (now postponed) relaxing of restrictions in England today - but I'm maybe over-thinking it.

Last edited:

NoOnesFool

Hull Trains have the best First Class offering in my opinion at the moment, it's the closest offering to normal. The Host came through with the trolley (something other TOC Hosts are scared to use at the moment), she was polite and pleasant and offered me a drink and a snack (Meredith & Drew biscuit). Later on in the journey, I was asked if I'd like a sandwich, without having to ask, which is a bugbear of mine on other TOCs. I was served a delicious egg sandwich by Tiffin which was very fresh, with Piper's crisps.

Grand Central was also much better than sister company CrossCountry. On the table waiting for me was a fruit salad, and a delicious snack (Sweet Moments Butter Flapjack). The Host then came through and offered hot drinks (mineral water was on the table for anyone who wanted it).

westv

Established Member
Hull Trains have the best First Class offering in my opinion at the moment, it's the closest offering to normal.
Which doesn't say much for their normal offering. :D :D

Last edited:

dk1

Veteran Member
EMR where once again providing a trolley service right through to Norwich today. The service itself may have seen temporary cuts (& overcrowding) but catering provision has greatly improved.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Based on the menu posted at the WAG buffet bar, there should have been a limited range of cold drinks and snacks for sale. Nothing today though!

Status
Not open for further replies.