On Train WiFi

Discussion in 'UK Railway Discussion' started by 03_179, 6 Dec 2018.

1. Polarbear

Polarbear Established Member

I found that on TPE, but it doesn’t seem to block all forums, just certain ones like this one!

2. Mogster

Mogster Member

Yes, the last I read they just connected to the local phone network the same as your phone. The carriage can have a large aerial though so has a better chance of getting a signal.

What else could they use really?

3. freddie1729

freddie1729 New Member

4. Andy25

Andy25 Member

Improved cl390 WiFi is being developed but don't know if it will become free.

I guess like hotels the pressure from customers will eventually lead to all access being free.

5. Roger100

Roger100 Member

It's free on Grand Central.

6. Statto

Statto Established Member

Merseyrail has free WIFI at some stations but not on trains.

7. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

All of EMT's and GWR's main stations have free WiFi

8. gtis

gtis Member

I noticed that Yarm station as free WiFi
    With O2 when I was there 2 weeks ago
    Didn’t try getting this forum but I could get RTT to check the freight times
    Neil

9. gordonthemoron

gordonthemoron Established Member

The only train wifi I've used which was any good was an EC from Prague to Berlin (up until the German border, it didn't work in Germany), all wifi I've used in the UK has either been patchy or didn't work at all

10. Justapunter

Justapunter Member

It’s fine having it, but much of it doesn’t actually work very well, if at all. It may well tick a franchise commitment box but, using an iPhone, Samsung or surface it is intermittent at best on (recent attempts to use it)

Virgin
    XC
    East coast
    GWR
    SWR

The money would be far far better spent on getting decent network reception on the trains so people use their own data and access like they do everywhere else. Surely that is better than relying on a WiFi network where you’re beholden to the train co ?

11. Gems

Gems Member

Free on Northerns 333 fleet.

12. Dougal2345

Dougal2345 Member

Have made this point before on this forum, but I feel that any train wi-fi should allow access to train information sites (eg National Rail Enquiries) without the user needing to faff about with logging in.

Actually the whole 'register to use' thing seems a bit pointless to me, since anyone with nefarious intentions will just use fake details, and logging in is a pain if your journey incorporates several changes of train, or different TOCs.

13. Qwerty133

Qwerty133 Established Member

And in the case of EMT it is also available at many (but not all) smaller stations. Time limited to 60 minutes per day IIRC.

14. 03_179

03_179 Established Member

Thanks everyone.

THe list is looking really good

15. Ken H

Ken H Member

one wonders how many are registered to email address a@a.com

16. Llanigraham

Llanigraham On Moderation

They do not use the GSM-R system.

17. Class 403

Class 403 Member

You should try the wifi on board VR services in Finland, they put our wifi to shame with the kind of high speeds you expect at home with Virgin etc...

It was very fast, worked fantastic I couldn't fault it so why can they get it right and we are well to put it mildly dragging behind the times?

Was so easy to use too, can't remember if you had to log in or not but I was online in secs.

18. AY1975

AY1975 Member

You haven't mentioned Caledonian Sleeper - I last went on it in October of last year, and from what I recall I think it's free but only available in the Lounge Car on the existing trains. Hopefully the new trains will have it throughout, though.

You also haven't mentioned Eurostar - again I think it's free, but reception is pretty rubbish. Ordinary 4G mobile coverage inside the Channel Tunnel is pretty good, though.

19. HowardGWR

HowardGWR Established Member

I use a mobile phone only very occasionally (and only in a vestibule if on a train) and do not have a smart phone. So I am very grateful when wifi is available for my tablet which fits neatly in my inside top pocket.

20. mde

mde Member

Are you sure? There's WiFi in the Mk5s, but, I don't recall there being any WiFi capability in the present stock. It'd have probably been a waste of money to try and fit it.

21. Dhassell

Dhassell Member

Of all places... Polsloe Bridge station in Exeter has WiFi... struck me as being odd as it seemed to be the only tiny station in the are with WiFi...

22. Ken H

Ken H Member

some older phones that do not have wifi can still be used to tether to by using a wire between phone and tablet. You will have to google it.

23. Andy25

Andy25 Member

Problem isn't easy to solve, on a train you're effectively sitting in a Faraday cage that's great for blocking phone signal. The windows have a transparent metal film over them to minimise UV radiation which makes it even worse for your phone.

I do know that new window technology has been developed with slots in the film to better allow the signal through, but the cost of replacing a fleets worth of windows as a campaign would be huge!

I don't think the glass is replaced often enough from damage to replace it on failure and have a good enough effect within any reasonable time.

24. radamfi

radamfi Established Member

Is it costly to rip that film off?

25. Mikey C

Mikey C Established Member

Going up the WCML recently I was quite impressed with the LNWR wifi, a decent signal whenever I tried to use it between Euston and Tamworth

Indeed it's slightly bizarre that the "cheap" stopping service has a better wifi product for Standard passengers than the premium Virgin service.

26. Andy25

Andy25 Member

Think it's like a plating or between laminates because taking it off has never been put forward (assuming the industry hasn't missed the obvious!)

27. Class 403

Class 403 Member

I have to agree and disagree at the same time!

Yes I have found the wifi to be quite good which is useful when I've travelled between Birmingham and Leighton Buzzard but isn't the data allowance quite low?

No idea who the provider is (not the wifi provider but the actual provider who provides the signal be it Vodaphone, EE or O2)

As to Virgin Trains, I did a Euston to Manchester service a few years ago using both branches while the route via Crewe had great wifi all the way on the way back via Stoke-on-Trent the wifi was rather hit and miss of course it could have improved by now...

28. WatcherZero

WatcherZero Established Member

Northern wi-fi is free at Northern Connect stations as well, non-northern connect stations generally don't have it, though a 3rd party has been partnering to offer it free at a few stations as a commercial enterprise (selling local advertising).

Its the governments aim ultimately for all Tocs to offer free wi-fi within the next couple of years and features in every franchise agreement when it comes up for renewal.

29. Intermodal

Intermodal Member

I think you've been very unlucky then. SWT, TPE, GC and LNER all have good wifi in my experience - and all of them are free. VTWC is hit and miss depending on location. I can't speak for many other TOCs.

30. alistairlees

alistairlees Member

You are correct. There is no WiFi - free or otherwise - on Caledonian Sleeper. AY1975 is imagining things. Perhaps AY1975 logged on to the Virgin Trains (or Euston station) WiFi whilst in the lounge car, without realising.