• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Onboard 390054

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcm1106

I'm currently onboard 390054 and have noticed that the now defunct entertainment modules found on all 220/221/390 sets between each pair of seats have been installed onto this new unit! Why on earth has money been spent putting them in when they're not used? I appreciate that the design of the seat may mean that mounting holes etc are already there but surely a blanking plate or rubber grommet would have been cheaper?
Any ideas?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The new units are specified to be identical to the original 390 build so the entertainment sockets are included. It probably would have made sense to not bother fitting them but that wasn't the spec so included they are. I would guess when the 390s come up for a major interior refurbishment in the next 5-10 years they will be removed completely. But until then in the interest of keeping the fleet standard throughout they haven't made any changes to the spec.

Yew

Established Member
Maybe the New franchise holder could find something useful to do with them?

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Maybe the New franchise holder could find something useful to do with them?

They have been disabled and either the wiring or the space for control equipment (or both actually) has been turned over for the on board wi-fi. So you would have some fairly serious work to do to bring them back on line. Also what would you do with them?

Hydro

Established Member
I find they're the perfect size to keep a 3.5mm headphone jack warm. Think laterally, people.

Schnellzug

Established Member
So the specification specified an obsolete piece of equipment that isn't used any more? I'm afraid that's insane, and whoever insisted that the spcification should include something that isn't used any more should be fired immediately, or if it was virgin they should be fined by the Rail regulator for wasting public Money.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
So the specification specified an obsolete piece of equipment that isn't used any more? I'm afraid that's insane, and whoever insisted that the spcification should include something that isn't used any more should be fired immediately, or if it was virgin they should be fined by the Rail regulator for wasting public Money.

How do you know it wasn't more cost effective to retain the same spec?

There may have been a penalty clause relating to any modifications.

ukrob

Established Member

It was probably cheaper NOT to modify them.

Besides it is probably just the fascia. I seriously doubt they are connected to anything.

cj_1985

for god sake...
remember that when the class 390s were originally specified and ordered digital music/MP3/media players were in their infancy... mobile phones were still fairly basic... i mean text messaging was still fairly new. and Wifi was still just a twinkle in its creators eye

personally, i used to enjoy the on-board entertainment system...
i admit its maybe not best suited for all of todays travellers... although i think it could well be of use for the less tech savy (age 45+) folk who don't want to miss "The Archers"

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
As someone who prefers live radio, I do miss these, as you cannot get a radio signal on a train.

John55

Unless things have changed in the last few weeks 390.054 does not have wi-fi fitted yet. It is therefore not out of the bounds of possibility that the train was equipped with the entertainment systems.

Presumably as these trains were ordered by the DfT not the Rosco or Virgin they were either too frightened or not competent to change the specification. Given the general opinion of the DfT rolling stock competencies this sounds like on of their better decisions.

I wonder if the DfT are in for a fine for not delivering wi-fi to us WCML travellers?

gazthomas

Established Member
No mobile phone boosters, 10 year old design fridges that don't work properly (according to on train staff) and problematic toilets.

No wonder Italy is in chaos.

Surely the DoT could have raised a change control to the original contract to ensure all the modifications where integrated before go live. It is madness that these weren't done before use, if not during manufacture given the protracted commissioning of the unit.

It will cost more to take the unit out of service to put these in. Surely?

WillPS

Established Member
No mobile phone boosters, 10 year old design fridges that don't work properly (according to on train staff) and problematic toilets.

No wonder Italy is in chaos.

Surely the DoT could have raised a change control to the original contract to ensure all the modifications where integrated before go live. It is madness that these weren't done before use, if not during manufacture given the protracted commissioning of the unit.

It will cost more to take the unit out of service to put these in. Surely?
Manufacturing contracts are often built on the basis that any changes to specification incur massive charges - the manufacturer will build these in to protect themselves against ordering certain parts and then having them removed from spec and also to put the emphasis on the client to get the right things in from the start (reducing liability/risk).

Even though these are new trains, they are built using an extension option to the original order, so if they changed the spec Alstom could charge them through the roof. Therefore, it is cheaper to order with the outdated (but agreed) spec and then refurb than it is to respec.

It's a mad world.

whhistle

On Moderation
Also what would you do with them?
Virgin Radio! Like HSBC radio and Asda radio.
They could play it in the Northern Rock banks they have just bought from the Government.
Or was I not supposed to tell you that :P

Status
Not open for further replies.