Onboard Catering - Passenger Poll (buffet/shop vs trolley)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by NoOnesFool, 8 Aug 2019.

Do you prefer a buffet or an at-seat trolley servce?

1. Buffet

141 vote(s)
    73.4%
  2. At-Seat Trolley Service

51 vote(s)
    26.6%
  1. NoOnesFool

NoOnesFool Member

I work for a company contracted to provide catering on board trains. I conduct both buffet and trolley services. I am curious to hear what if passengers prefer a buffet or an at-seat trolley service. So, which do you prefer?​

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. hexagon789

hexagon789 Established Member

Really depends on the service, for a much longer-distance service, ideally I'd have both.

4. Ash Bridge

Ash Bridge Established Member

I've ticked buffet as that would be my choice on an Intercity or long distance type of service. On the other hand I'd be quite happy with a trolley service on a regional train e.g. 158/170/175 etc.

5. hexagon789

hexagon789 Established Member

That would be my preference as well, certainly for long-distance journeys the greater stock availability of a buffet is useful compared to a trolley which can often run out but which would be such an issue on a shorter regional run.

6. Peter C

Peter C Established Member

Personally, I'd prefer a buffet; going back to being able to go up to the buffet on a GWR HST is something I'll always remember. In my experience, a trolley is always in the wrong place at the wrong time for when you walk along the train.

-Peter

7. mm333

mm333 Member

A buffet, as there's usually more choice and fridges to keep things chilled in.

8. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Work - Fenny Stratford(MK) Home - Darlington
    Both. Sorry to be difficult

9. Shaw S Hunter

Shaw S Hunter Established Member

I've voted for the trolley as it's more convenient when done properly. Otherwise frankly don't bother with on-train catering at all.

10. theblackwatch

theblackwatch Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Absolutely regarding the last point. As a typical example, I was quite late arriving for my train at King's Cross and had to join near the back at walk through to my coach at the front of the train. It hadn't even left King's Cross, but the trolley was making its way through coach G so I had to wait to be able to get past it. The other thing is, you can't get a drink when you want one from the trolley. It might appear in an hour or two, or just at the point when you're about to get off.

I do recall one of the TOCs claiming that they did a survey and people said they preferred a trolley to a buffet. However, the answer depends on how you as the question, which can easily be manipulated to steer people towards the desired answer. For example, if you ask "Would you like a trolley serving teas and coffees on the train?" people will, I suspect answer 'yes'. If it was reworded to say "Would you like us to get rid of the buffet and replace it with a trolley?" the answer may be different...

11. Peter C

Peter C Established Member

Definitely. In my opinion, the trolley, if there is one on the train, it should not be "released" into the train until the train has left the origin station. That would avoid that sort of situation!

-Peter

12. trebor79

trebor79 Member

Buffet. I only buy water and biscuits from a trolly as tea made with warm water is just disgusting.
    Trolleys I find can be a real nuisance, always seem to be in the way of someone wanting to get to the toilet, door etc.

13. AlbertBeale

AlbertBeale Member

Buffet, since - at least in principle! - there's the possibility of better quality and better choice of things, including hot snacks. Oh for a simple beans-on-toast on a British train journey ... I'm sure I had something very basic like that once in an East German Railways catering car. They got some things right.

14. sharpley

sharpley Member

Neither... take my own food / drink on board if its a long journey. Set foot in a railway station / train and you're going to get ripped off with expensive small portions and mediocre food.

15. tasky

tasky Member

Buffet - partly because the physical presence of one is much more of a guarantee it'll actually be there and selling food. Trolley sometimes just don't happen. In the UK I never rely on on-train catering and always stock up at stations, because you never know if it's actually going to be running.

Whereas if I'm taking an ICE in Germany, where the offer is consistent across the whole country, I'll happily trot along to the bistro car for a hot currywurst and draught beer - in fact it's part of the fun.

This is one of the sad things about franchising as well, different routes have different standards and as someone who travels regularly by trains but not on the same route, it's hard to remember which franchise does what.

16. Tomos y Tanc

Tomos y Tanc Member

As a fairly regular traveller between Cardiff and Bangor I'd opt for a dining car every time! Barring that I'd go for a buffet on anything longer than three or four carriages. Trolleys are fine on shorter trains.

17. yorkie

yorkie Administrator Staff Member Administrator

If I am traveling with a group, a buffet is my preference as they can offer a better range and better quality products. It also avoids the aisles being blocked (I don't like getting stuck behind the trolley).

However if I am traveling alone, I may not want to leave my seat (at least not for long enough to walk the length of a train), so a trolley would be useful.

So it's difficult to give a definitive answer one way or the other.

18. leytongabriel

leytongabriel Member

Was on a GWR train Exeter-Paddington yesterday. The trolley only got as far as coach G. Just after Westbury ( so seemingly with plenty of time left), there was an unclear announcement that there would be a 'static trolley service' in the vestibule between cars G and D. Three or four people made it up there, leaving four cars out of nine (A-D) pretty much unserved and the trolley staff having a nice long break. When I asked about it, I was told it was because there 'might not be time' to get to the end of the train and back. It wasn't a particularly full service. Is this normal or was I justified in feeling grumpy? Should a bit more effort have been made?

19. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

Indeed. I have been involved in these consultations and the questions are often something like:

• Would you like an at seat service
    • Would you like to walk to the buffet and pick up your refreshments

Most people will choose option 1 expecting that the buffet person will bring you something from the buffet menu rather than an often half empty trolley. The TOC wants you to choose option 1 because it reduces their overhead.

20. dk1

dk1 Established Member

Thankfully on Anglia Intercity we have both & this tradition is set to continue with the new fleet & new trolleys have been purchased in readiness for them. Happy days.

Personally wherever I travel by rail I always purchase something without fail from the onboard catering provision. Long may it continue.

Last edited: 9 Aug 2019
  21. Mikey C

Mikey C Established Member

Unless it's a really long journey, and in the UK very few journeys fall in that category, I prefer to raid the supermarket. Very few towns don't have a supermarket or convenience store chain near the station

22. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

tea and a kit kat is about my limit unless I have been in a meeting all day, haven't eaten and had to rush for the train

23. dk1

dk1 Established Member

Yeah cuppa & flapjack at least for me. Something nice about hearing the trolley clanking over the vestibule & into your coach. Sadly unless it's Virgin or Cross Country I'm usually disappointed by the sandwich selection.

24. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

they offer sandwiches? I assumed them to mythical like the unicorn or the griffin!

25. gordonthemoron

gordonthemoron Established Member

I'd prefer a BordRestaurant like you get on German ICEs, which anyone can have a sit down cooked meal in

26. Mag_seven

Mag_seven Established Member

Buffet all the way. Yesterday I completed a journey on a rural railway in Norway and faced a two hour journey on a long distance connecting train. I had not eaten so was pleased to see that Norwegian railways still provide a full buffet car selling not just cold sandwiches but basic hot food as well (I had a hot dog and a beer). It's a pity that such facilities are no longer regarded by Dft as being a requirement for long distance trains in this country.

27. DarloRich

DarloRich Veteran Member

when i was in Holland recently on train refreshment consisted of a man with a coffee backpack

28. xotGD

xotGD Established Member

Decent coffee is what matters to me - whether from a trolley or buffet counter. Walking down to the buffet car to be offered instant rubbish is vexing.

29. westv

westv Established Member

I thought for a moment this thread was a variation on Inspector Sands. "Would Passenger Poll please come to the ticket office".

:D

30. EE Andy b1

EE Andy b1 Member

My option as well but on a busy Inter City service it is nice to have both rather than all queuing up.

31. hluraven

hluraven Member

Neither, or trolley for longer journeys if the train isnt full. The extra seating space is usually beneficial, certainly more so than the very rare occasions I have used a buffet (single figures in my entire life).