• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Onboard ticket checks

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryan125hst

Established Member
After travelling from Retford to Doncaster and back on 1st June, and to and from York on Thursday, I was shocked at the lack of ticket checks (revenue protection) on all services. Not once did my Mum and I have our ticket checked. In fact, on the return journey from York, the TM walked past us heading towards the buffet car (it was a HST). We got our tickets out ready for inspection. About 5 minutes later, I saw her entering our carriage. I picked up my ticket, only for her to walk past me, presumably heading back to the office at the rear of the train.

The journey time between YRK and DON is about 22 minutes. Surely this is enough time for a ticket check. The train was fairly busy, but there were some spare seats and people weren't standing in the aisles. We have found Easy Coast (and Hull Trains) to be quite poor when it comes to checking tickets.

Have you had your ticket checked when travelling on the above TOC's? What is your experience with other TOC's?

Surely it is in there best interests to check that passengers have bought a ticket? It would also be better for passengers as less fare evasion would result in more revenue, so possibly lower fares.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

calc7

Established Member
Given that the trains EC operate typically have 8 or 9 passenger coaches, it is not feasible for a guard to monitor those who have joined the service at a particular stop. Inconveniencing passengers every 20 minutes asking for tickets would not go down too well, either.

EC will only sell undiscounted Anytime tickets if you have had the opportunity to buy before boarding.

Curiously I wonder what comes round more frequently - the guard checking tickets or the drinks trolley in First Class. :lol:

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
There have been plenty of discussions regarding onboard ticket checks (or the lack of it) previously. There is a whole host of reasons why there did not appear to be a ticket check. Sometimes guards could have more important things to attend to than revenue duties.

Status
Not open for further replies.