• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

One day travelcard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Razor1967

I am taking the family to London for the kids to see the sights etc on Saturday the 10th October. I want to buy a zone 1-2 Travelcard for 2 adults and 3 children. Am I right in thinking it costs £5.60 for each adult and £2 for each child. I have also read somewhere that children go for £1,but not sure if we qualify, the kids are 9, 12 & 14. We also have a Family Railcard and is it possible to get a discount off the Travelcards with this. Ideally I want to buy the cards from the self service machines to avoid the queues at Kings X, are you able to "tell" the machine you have a family railcard ? Many thanks in advance for your help !

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
An off peak travelcard for zones 1 and 2 is £5.60 for an adult, £2 for a child. A railcard can only be used in conjunction with an all zones travelcard, but they are priced at £5 for an adult, £1 for a child, however you would have to travel together with the railcard. Children are aged 5-15, however a 16 year old may hold a railcard discounted child ticket provided they were 15 when the railcard was issued.

Most ticket machines accept railcard discounts.

tony_mac

Established Member
Accompanied children 11-15 pay £1 for a travelcard, regardless of a railcard.
Under 11s are free, although it may be easier to pay the £1 for a travelcard to get through the automatic barriers.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tickets/faresandtickets/oneand3daytickets/2908.aspx

I didn't think that the underground machines allow railcard discounts, but you can definitely get a travelcard with discount from the machines at the mainline station.

However, we’re sorry that you can’t use your Railcard to get a discount when buying tickets from a London Underground booking office.

LondonLarry

Ideally I want to buy the cards from the self service machines to avoid the queues at Kings X, are you able to "tell" the machine you have a family railcard ? Many thanks in advance for your help !

All self-service machines should give a Family & Friends Railcard discount. You can buy the tickets online or over the phone and arrange them to be collected at the self-service ticket machine on Saturday (or an earlier date) if it's more convenient.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
If you don't already have AP tickets the cheapest tickets are:

Peterborough-York Off Peak Day returns £ 55.70
Peterborough-London All Zones Travelcards £56.70

(use rtn before out on the first ticket ;))

The second cheapest option is Grand Central, (out 0847 & rtn 1907) and all Zones travelcards with the Family & Friends discount. This works out at £115.30 + £13.00

GC sell travelcards on board, and apparently NXEC are doing so as well. Or you can buy online and collect from the machines, or you can buy at York station.

clagmonster

Established Member
Yorkie, the NRCoC states:
"17. Using a return ticket
A return ticket (including a two-part return ticket) is only valid for the outward
journey shown on that ticket if the ticket is completely unused. You may not use
the outward part of a return ticket after you have used the return part."
So your suggestion of buying a Peterborough-York day return and using the return portion first is not valid, and the guard leaving Peterborough in the evening would be well within his rights to ask to see the return portion. If this wasn't presented, or was already gripped, I assume he could charge either open singles Peterborough-York without railcard discounts or alternatively hand the matter over to the prosecutions department.
I would advise the following:
York-Grantham cheap day return £59.60
Grantham-All zones travelcard £67.25
Total £126.85

This covers 2 adults and 3 children, travelling together at all times with a family railcard. Both tickets can be bought on the day of travel from York booking office.
For this combination to be valid, in both directions you must travel on a train which calls at Grantham.
Alternatively, if you can book in advance and don't mind being tied to specific trains, you can get advance singles from York to Kings Cross for just shy of £25 each way for the 5 of you on the day in question. If you go for this, book as soon as possible, and see the seperate thread for the 20% discount offer.
In this case, you would need seperate travelcards, these would cost £13. On the National Express site, as a seperate journey to your York-London, ask for Firnsbury Park to London All zones travelcard.

Razor1967

Thanks for the reply folks, I've already got the advance tickets for the 07.00 outbound and 19.00 return at £25 each way. So am I right in thinking 5 travelcards (2 adult & 3 children) will be £13 with Family railcard discount ? Is it the same price to get all zones even though we only really want zone 1/2. Hoping it might be a bit cheaper (It's the Yorkshireman in me !). When buying the Travelcards at Kings X I assume I can use the ticket machines at the main station or "downstairs" at the underground. What title are they under on the ticket machine (ie)Travelcard or London travelcard etc !
Finally if buying at a ticket machine what's to stop any punter buying the Travelcards with a Family Railcard discount, bearing in mind that the tickets would only be used through the barriers and not checked by a person. Surely anyone could get a discounted ticket, I thought you would have to buy them from a manned ticket booth and show my valid Railcard a proof !!

clagmonster

Established Member
The LT website does not mention family railcards on their webpage about railcard discounted travelcard.
However, the Family Railcard website states that travelcards can be discounted subject to a minimum fare, which would appear to be £5 adults and £1 children. This is cheaper than the zones 1-2 ticket. It is also worth noting that you can't buy your tickets with railcard discount from a LUL booking office.
In order to save time, as in my experience there are often long queues at the Kings Cross booking offices, I would suggest buying at York before you set off. Alternatively, you could order via the internet and get them posted out to you.

Razor1967

Yeah I wouldn't mind buying them online. Is there a site where you can buy them with free postage ? Tried NXEC site but it appears you cannot just buy the Travelcards on their own.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Yorkie, the NRCoC states:
"17. Using a return ticket
A return ticket (including a two-part return ticket) is only valid for the outward
journey shown on that ticket if the ticket is completely unused. You may not use
the outward part of a return ticket after you have used the return part."
So your suggestion of buying a Peterborough-York day return and using the return portion first is not valid, and the guard leaving Peterborough in the evening would be well within his rights to ask to see the return portion.
There is no rule that says you have to be in possession of the rtn portion if on an outward ticket. I believe such a rule does exist for SORs (although I can't find it right now), and the rtn portion is generally asked for if travelling on the day after the start date of the ticket. This obviously does not apply to Day tickets. At no other time have I, or anyone I know, ever been asked for a return portion of a ticket where the outward portion is only valid for 1 day and nowhere is it documented that we have to be in possession of it. For some journeys it is cheaper to buy a rtn and use it one-way only, and this has even been suggested to me by telesales staff! I have been told I can legitimately throw away the rtn portion of such a ticket. I have never been told I have to be in possession of it on the out journey.

There is no chance of being asked for the rtn portion of such a ticket on the outward, however if travelling on a train departing York before the first PBO-YRK train has arrived then the guard could in theory invoke rule 17, so 0836 from YRK is the first train that this rule cannot be invoked on. Of course the out portion cannot be asked for to check it is stamped (!) when travelling on the rtn portion. So the only 'risk' is if travelling on a train earlier than the 0836.

Yeah I wouldn't mind buying them online. Is there a site where you can buy them with free postage ? Tried NXEC site but it appears you cannot just buy the Travelcards on their own.
Are you sure about that? It seems odd not to sell £13 worth of tickets "on their own"! I don't think I've ever tried it though.

If so, try one of the TOC-branded trainline sites. e.g. TPE, FSR, etc...

AFAIK, only the 'main' Trainline site charges postage (and card fees!)

paul1609

Established Member
The Southern webtis site will sell them to you.
Just put in East Croydon or whatever to London all zones travelcard, you can pick up the tickets from any TOD station including York.

clagmonster

Established Member
The same instructions as Paul has given would work on the National express site also. However, strangely it does not like London terminals or Kings Cross as the origin, so try any non terminus station, like East Croydon as suggested by Paul. National express do give free postage, I don't know about Southern.

Yorkie, going south whilst using the return portion I can't see any problem with, as clause 17 only states that the ouward portion can only be used if the return portion is unused and not the other way round.
If you are using an outward portion, I don't see how you could prove that you had not used the return portion unless you had it with you ungripped. This is, however, I admit, my interpretation of the NRCoC, and I have at no stage stated that it would be likely that the condition is enforced.
As for using only one portion off a return ticket, I don't see anything anywhere to say that you can't do that, and I don't think that I have stated anything to the contrary. If using the outward portion though, I would also carry the return portion as well.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
The unused return portion of an SOR or SDR (Anytime) ticket must be available for inspection when using the outward portion (as stated in the FRPP), there is no such requirement that I am currently aware of for SVR and CDR (Off-Peak) tickets. However, that doesn't make condition 17 irrelevant, just hard to enforce.

LondonLarry

Finally if buying at a ticket machine what's to stop any punter buying the Travelcards with a Family Railcard discount, bearing in mind that the tickets would only be used through the barriers and not checked by a person. Surely anyone could get a discounted ticket, I thought you would have to buy them from a manned ticket booth and show my valid Railcard a proof !!

Absolutely nothing! It's no different from an adult buying a Child rate ticket from a machine and using it to travel - I've seen that a few times on the Underground. However, if Revenue Protection are checking tickets and you cannot prove you are eligible for you ticket (e.g. you don't have/or forget your railcard) you can be given a Penalty Fare and/or face prosecution. You may also be charged a fully priced single to your destination, depending on where your ticket was checked.

Razor1967

Thanks for all your help guys, have now purchased the Travelcards on NXEC website (free delivery) by inputting from Finsbury Park to London All zones and was £13 as suggested. The reason it did not work yesterday was because I was putting Kings X as the start point, the logical entry I would have thought !! but when was anything logical about buying tickets nowadays !

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
If you are in london a off-peak travelcard prices are £2 for a childs travel card and this includes zones 1,2,3,4,5,6.

A adult travel card is £3.80 off-peak including zones 1,2,3,4,5,6 and when a adult is traveling with two kids or more I am sure the kids travel cards cost £1.00 each .

If your kids look older than what they are or are 15+ I would advise to bring a Zip Card (childs oyster card) to prove there age when purchasing the tickets as I have had to before when buying a travelcard.

Status
Not open for further replies.