• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

One To Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coxster

Established Member
Been playing with the BETA of the new Dorset Coast route. North of Basingstoke you can now drive to Reading or up the mainline to London with:

A spur for the Alton line
A spur for the Pompey Direct line
A spur for the Weybridge triangle
A branch to Thames Ditton (Hampton Court line)
A branch to Hinchley Wood(?) on the Guildford line
A branch to Norbiton on the Shepperton/Kingston loop
A spur from the line joining at Raynes Park
A branch from Wandsworth Road on the Reading/Windor line
A branch to Wimbledon Park on the LU Earl's Court District line

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Coxster

Established Member
Guess where I've just been...

MSTSWokingUnderProd.jpg

RJ

Established Member
Yep, the middle platform gave it away. Dave Corfield has real talent!

Established Member
Although there is a fence missing on the down fast side of platform 3.... as they don't allow people to alight there.

laverack222 - Edited for spelling. Please take care in the future :!:

Max

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
feltham2104 said:
Although there is a fence missing on the down fast side of platform 3.... as they don't allow people to alight there.

Nitpicking ;)

Coxster

Established Member
It is WIP remember. Also Stephen, looking at Max's comment, I could nitpick on your spelling skills (or lack of them) :blob7:

Jonno2055

Looking good, that'd be great as a commerciall addon but then i'd have to pay. Can't wait for the section to reading to be released. I'm sure great western link run near baisingstoke definately at reading, that'd make a great activity. Hope all goes well!

Coxster

Established Member
FGWLink operate the line at half-hourly intervals calling at all stations between Reading and Basingstoke. Virgin operate an hourly service non-stop, with SWT providing a few non-stop services throughout the day.

Coxster

Established Member
Harold said:
I have already created a Basingstoke to reading stopper activity using the Thames Trains 165.
You need to scrap that now and install the two BETA update patches. The current bETA version is the moved route so any activities made now will be okay.

trains2

Jonno2055 said:
Looking good, that'd be great as a commerciall addon but then i'd have to pay. Can't wait for the section to reading to be released. I'm sure great western link run near baisingstoke definately at reading, that'd make a great activity. Hope all goes well!

There is no chance of it ever being commercial because:

a) it contains a million freeware objects
b) it is too inaccurate to be a commercial release
c) it would be a pointless addition if it didn't have any stock, most add-ons these days come with stock all custom built (except EB :rolleyes: *)
d) framerates are impossible when you fill up Waterloo and Clapham, mainly due to the high number of polys where people don't delete the un-seen ones on a model, e.g. the underside of a platform.

*Pagaents Field contained a number of locos available to download for free on UKTS, so I am told.

It is a worthy attempt and looks good, but only for freeware.

trains2 said:
*Pagaents Field contained a number of locos available to download for free on UKTS, so I am told.

That's actually true as well ;)

Coxster

Established Member
trains2 said:
b) it is too inaccurate to be a commercial release
I'd like to add that you can recognise whereabouts you are on the route - it's not totally ficticious.

trains2

Coxster said:
I'd like to add that you can recognise whereabouts you are on the route - it's not totally ficticious.

It's not ficticious at all! All the stations are correct, trackwork is very close to 100%, you know where you are on the route. If it were slightly ficticious then it could be very very different, the odd extra station here, a couple of extra sidings there.

When I say inaccurate, I mean scenery wise, which also ties in with the fact that it is all freeware stuff. Dave has done a very good job making it look the part, but in reality (as with most freeware routes of this nature - so it's not just DC) it looks nothing like the real thing apart from some of the main landmarks like Waterloo Int. Roof, which is a custom model previously used on London - Southampton.

If it were to be commerical, should Dave ever be able to get permission for all those scenic objects used (which will never happen), I don't think sales would be very good. Remember that most people who buy it are not on UKTS, so don't know about the whole mass-use of scenic objects. They would expect to have an excellent representation of the route, and they are not going to be happy should they find this not to be true.

If your going to get into commercial/payware, you have to work so much harder to produce an add-on that will please the majority, Joe Public, and not just the minority, UKTS members.

Regards

Jonno2055

Well the european bahn LBE was partly ficticious but I understand, stilol better to pay £4.50 than 20 pounds.

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Just to let people know DCR V3 release is imminent

EDIT: Now been released

Mole259

fantastic route well done to dave for a freeware route

unfortunately at clapham it snapped my computer in half with nothing but me on the whole route :P

Status
Not open for further replies.