• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

One way to deal with asbestos-lined carriages

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesontheroad

Established Member
Found this (somewhat poorly made) extract from a DVD on Northern Ireland's railway history on Youtube. From about 3 / 4 minutes in, you'll discover a somewhat shocking way of dealing with asbestos-lined railcar carriages...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bipNl2nskHY\

... i.e. dumping them in a flooded quarry... :roll:

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Andy

maybe not the best way of disposal, but ive got to say, excellent looking units though. Not to self, must get over to Ireland at somepoint

I know ive missed the best bits... but i missed the best of the UK aswell. Roll back the years :D.

Thanks

Andy

Crossforth

Established Member
Would be quite interesting if they did that here

I want to know how long it will be before they drain the quarry or it dries up, that could be interesting

O L Leigh

Established Member
Asbestos fibres are dangerous when inhaled which is why it was phased out as a fire retardant insulation material and ingredient in other building products. In fact, where asbestos panels remain in buildings it is perfectly safe provided that the panels are not damaged or disturbed. It's only when you start bashing it about that it is in danger of releasing asbestos fibres.

As weird as it may seem, submerging complete rail vehicles is a good way of safely disposing of asbestos contaminated stock. The dangerous asbestos is not disturbed and being submerged in a flooded quarry means that the fibres cannot be released into the atmosphere. Even if asbestos somehow found it's way into the drinking water supply there is no evidence that it is dangerous if ingested.

It certainly looks wrong to dispose of asbestos contaminated vehicles in this way, but it actually makes a lot of sense and probably isn't as dangerous as it appears.

O L Leigh

Last edited:

455driver

Veteran Member
I remember a similar thing in Scotland with 27043 and several DMU coaches (53836,59347,53889 and 79971, the last Park Royal railbus) being buried in Patersons tip Mount Vernon during July 1984!

Mvann

As weird as it may seem, submerging complete rail vehicles is a good way of safely disposing of asbestos contaminated stock. The dangerous asbestos is not disturbed and being submerged in a flooded quarry means that the fibres cannot be released into the atmosphere. Even if asbestos somehow found it's way into the drinking water supply there is no evidence that it is dangerous if ingested.

It certainly looks wrong to dispose of asbestos contaminated vehicles in this way, but it actually makes a lot of sense and probably isn't as dangerous as it appears.

O L Leigh

which explains why asbestos was used in filtering alcohol during the 1920s & 1930s

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Interesting video!
Would be quite interesting if they did that here
That is "here" (as in it took place in the same country as the one we are in now!) Do you mean that it would be interesting if it happened now? In which case I'd agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.