• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

One week in, how's it for you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I finished my first room on ‘The Great Coronavirus house renovation project’!
This was the scene ten days ago:
(Picture shows smallest bedroom looking devastated after wallpaper removal and inevitable disintegration of plaster)
CE346CBA-99FE-4459-B7D7-029A14EE98B2.jpeg

And this the same room now.
(Picture shows room looking somewhat better)
F84FE53E-4E5D-450B-A4C2-ABB06F5C7D7D.jpeg

Can I go back to work soon please? It’s actually less work than I’m doing at the moment...

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Howardh

Established Member
I must start on the bathroom.

And stop pigging around playing games on the internet.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

And stop pigging around playing games on the internet.
Get that bathroom done!

PeterY

Established Member
I cleaned out my oven today and it looks brand new again. :D:D:D Living on my own it doesn't get a lot of use.
Tomorrow, I've my bedroom to dust, I can't wait.
Tuesday, my shower room but that gets cleaned twice a week anyway.
Wednesday ????

Struner

#stabled & #roosting - being in my seventies & not right in the head (was operated on that and “surviving” on pills)
My “gardener”, well the young man who does the pruning etc kindly offered me to do my shopping. So I went to the Jumbo supermarket chain’s website & looked up their ordering service. The delivery service is overloaded of course, but I simply downloaded pictures of the things I needed. I sent the pics to him & he told me it took him about five mins to get it. whereas for his mother-in-law : “which brand should it be, how much should it be”?
So now I finally understood why those people are on the phone in the store. :lol:
I do miss the occasional visit to the institute I used to work at yes. It’s more or less closed down. No lectures/courses & the like of course. But skype & similar are your friends.
& from my window I have a good view of the garden, the canal/“river” & the arable fields beyond.
All sort of birds, sproggies, blackbirds, tits, magpies, jackdaws, cormorants, ducks, grebes &c.
Just waiting for the ewes with lambs across the water.
I go out for a stroll every day. But it is too cold & windy to go out on the bike. :(
& yes, I do talk to my relatives, more than I used to, & I would urge everybody to do the same.

Of course, you can always read a book. I do!

Established Member
'Self - Isolating' in the rear cab.

Since 1998.

cuccir

Established Member
Tough but not as bad as I might have feared. Most concern is about what will come ahead - tighter restrictions, growing boredom, getting ill - rather than the current day-to-day. Toddler is tough work but at least gives us something to do (have started potty training her this week because we might as well do so!). Lucky to have a garden but missing the warm weather from earlier in the week.

Working at a unviersity as a degree director, I've probably never been busier than in the last fortnight, but that will ease as (now online!) teaching ended this week. Employer has put all staff on 4 day week (at full pay :smile:) and adding that to some annual leave means I'll be working 6 days between now and April 27th (4 of which are next week). So pace of life will slow down a lot from next weekend but I hope overall makes things easier.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Tought but not as bad as I might have feared. Most concern is about what will come ahead - tighter restrictions, growing boredom, getting ill - rather than the current day-to-day. Toddler is tough work but at least gives us something to do (have started potty training her this week because we might as well do so!). Lucky to have a garden but missing the warm weather from earlier in the week.

Best of luck with potty training. If anything, doing it 'intensively' and being shut in may work in your favour (but every child is different - ours took quite a bit of perseverence).

Struner

I cleaned out my oven today and it looks brand new again. :D:D:D Living on my own it doesn't get a lot of use.[…]
How do you mean - doesn’t get a lot of use ? Don’t you enjoy a pizza - at least once a week? :E
I think I use mine about three time times a week & I don’t even have a pizza every week...

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Would have been away last week (Lisbon by train for a short break) so at home and did quite a lot of stuff around the garden in preparation for the veg growing season (under the direction of the self-styled Head of Food Production and Gardens). She's just gone back to work tonight (Nurse), has given up her second week off as they are obviously very short staffed. I will miss my swimming (5 or 6 times a week - but I was going to miss that last week anyway) so to keep myself reasonably active I started on Thursday practising Qi-gong with a couple of dvd's that my late teacher produced...the sequence takes about 35-40 minutes. Apparently I'm bloody-minded enough to manage to do it daily for however long it takes.
As I've got older I know I've become more reclusive and I also know that I will always find things to keep myself amused and busy....I will miss my daughter and 8 month old granddaughter who live a couple of miles away. What worries me are the poor souls who might be trapped in a flat or similar...with other members of the family and are struggling. I read that domestic abuse is rising....

UP13

Best of luck with potty training. If anything, doing it 'intensively' and being shut in may work in your favour (but every child is different - ours took quite a bit of perseverence).

I'm a teacher and we used the 6 week summer holiday to do this with my daughter.

We are now going to use the lockdown to do the same with her younger brother.

Furrball

Have worked from home for 3 years so during the day no real difference.

Missing going to gigs in the evening but the amount of artists doing live streams helps on that.

Got enough to eat for 14 days & local shop generally has fruit and veg

Found that by going to catering/pub suppliers (that sell to public) that they have plenty of stock of cleaning stuff (& toilet roll!) - 5 litres of disinfectant for 2 quid, litre of hand soap for the same

jb108822

I've basically got no social life at the moment, but thank goodness for things like social media to help keep me sane. I work in a petrol station, and perhaps unsurprisingly, that's currently pretty quiet.

TheEdge

Established Member
As a gamer and an introvert but with a key worker job to go to I'm doing just fine. Finally got round to unlocking the North Carolina on World of Warships and not feeling guilty for putting the hours in.

And got hooked on Animal Crossing.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Well me dears. That’s the first week over so we’re going to lock this thread and encourage you to talk to each other on this one:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/covid-19-coronavirus-support-advice.202569/
Please do talk to each other and support each other in the support thread. We may not always agree about everything but we can all help each other in these difficult times... I’ve personally talked to quite a few forum members on the phone this week and it’s been great to talk. Hoping to do much more in the next few weeks.
Thanks all. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.