• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Online numerical assessment - Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nella52

Morning all

I am still narked about not passing the numerical assessment yesterday. It was so much harder than I had expected, especially given that I was applying for a cleaning role. I admit I am not red hot with maths/figures but that is why I do the jobs I do...

Can anyone give me any pointers on how I can improve my chances next time, e.g. are there any tests online (preferably free) which will help me to practice etc.?

Many thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nevillehill

It's the same test they do for the conductors, for cleaning trains you don't have to know about arithmetic.

ComUtoR

Established Member
You could take a numeracy and literacy course. There are many basic skills courses available and if you are unemployed then you should be able to get them for free.

Many colleges offer adult learning, evening classes etc are quite prevalent and again, may be offered for free.

Nevillehill

Morning all

I am still narked about not passing the numerical assessment yesterday. It was so much harder than I had expected, especially given that I was applying for a cleaning role. I admit I am not red hot with maths/figures but that is why I do the jobs I do...

Can anyone give me any pointers on how I can improve my chances next time, e.g. are there any tests online (preferably free) which will help me to practice etc.?

Many thanks

Type Verbal Reasoning test into Google.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nella52

Thanks guys. I think I do need to do some numeracy training.
It is a long time since I was at school and I haven't had to calculate percentages and values of segments in pie charts etc. in many a year...

ComUtoR

Established Member
http://www.open.edu/openlearn/science-maths-technology/succeed-maths-part-1/content-section-overview
Welcome to this new free course produced by The Open University. If you enrol and complete the course you can gain a digital badge and a Statement of Participation as a record of your achievement. Digital badges are a new way of demonstrating online that you have gained a skill. Schools, colleges and universities are working with employers and other organisations to develop open badges that help learners gain recognition for their skills, and support employers to identify the right candidate for a job.

If you feel that maths is a mystery that you want to unravel then this free course is for you. The course will guide you through how numbers are put together, give you confidence with using percentages, fractions and negative numbers and provide you with problem solving skills for your everyday life and the wider world.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/maths
Maths

Practical, common-sense maths for adults. Choose a topic area.

https://www.gov.uk/improve-english-maths-it-skills

Improve your English, maths and IT skills

You need basic reading, writing and maths skills to apply for most jobs or to study further, eg for National Vocational Qualifications (NVQs).

If you’re over 16 and you’ve left school, you normally don’t have to pay to do:

English or maths to GCSE level
some information and communication technology (ICT) courses
English for speakers of other languages (ESOL)

If there’s a fee, you may be able to get Discretionary Learner Support.

As I said, there is lots out there. Personally I don't recommend online learning. It is a great resource but I think you get more out of specific adult learning courses. My Ex did the OU and I can't fault them but I feel that sometimes you learn more from being in an environment where you and other like minded individuals are peer learning and you have someone who can answer questions etc.

I was never very academic so I ended up going the more vocational route. Anyone wishing to improve themselves by going back to school etc gets my full support.

I wish you well.

carbers255

The numerical is a joke and unnecessary in my opinion. It will purely sift more applicants out and make it easier for hiring managers with less going through to interview. It'll go in my opinion once Arriva take over.

Nella52

http://www.open.edu/openlearn/science-maths-technology/succeed-maths-part-1/content-section-overview

http://www.bbc.co.uk/skillswise/maths

https://www.gov.uk/improve-english-maths-it-skills

As I said, there is lots out there. Personally I don't recommend online learning. It is a great resource but I think you get more out of specific adult learning courses. My Ex did the OU and I can't fault them but I feel that sometimes you learn more from being in an environment where you and other like minded individuals are peer learning and you have someone who can answer questions etc.

I was never very academic so I ended up going the more vocational route. Anyone wishing to improve themselves by going back to school etc gets my full support.

I wish you well.

Thank you :D.

Established Member
The numerical is a joke and unnecessary in my opinion. It will purely sift more applicants out and make it easier for hiring managers with less going through to interview. It'll go in my opinion once Arriva take over.

Err... Arriva have taken over. The numerical test appeared around the time Arriva's franchise started on 1st April 2016, however they had been in the pipeline already under the previous franchise (no real distinction, all the same people mostly).

Have to agree that a high level of skill in in determining the financial subsidies of a raw product mining firm during the 1990s has absolutely nothing, nothing whatso bl***** ever to do with a bl***** cleaners job and Arriva Northern's "HR Business Partner" should feel very, very stupid for allowing this test to be loaded up for this role.

Nella52

Have to agree that a high level of skill in in determining the financial subsidies of a raw product mining firm during the 1990s has absolutely nothing, nothing whatso bl***** ever to do with a bl***** cleaners job and Arriva Northern's "HR Business Partner" should feel very, very stupid for allowing this test to be loaded up for this role.

Thanks. I could understand it if I was applying for a finance/payroll type role, but I don't need to know about percentage increases etc.. to be a good cleaner. Having said that, I have a second job which is an admin role and involves using Sage to create invoices but have never had to pass such tests (memo to self - don't try to get an admin job with Northern :)).

I was a bit like a rabbit caught in the headlights when I saw some of the questions, especially given the examples they provided for the practise part :roll: I don't think they were helpful at all and didn't give a true example of what to expect in the actual test. I have no idea what the pass mark was or how far I was from it which is a bit galling, as is the fact that I can't apply for any customer service, conductor, or TPO vacancy for 6 months :(.

Thanks for listening everyone.

Last edited:

GMT

Morning all

Many thanks

Absolutely nonsense what happened to you. Just keep trying, don't give up.

I'm not keen on numbers too, but I ended up working in accounting. Practical joke.

Good luck though.

red2005

Don't know if it's still the case especially with a tory government but some time ago if you were unemployed and approached the job centre and made them aware of certain skills needed for a career path you had chosen they could take measures in helping you obtain said skills.

They offered my my HGV class 1&2 licences along with Hazchem certificate none of which would be cheap......If it's still the case I'm sure they'd have no problems in funding a numeracy course etc? Just an idea.

Red

Status
Not open for further replies.