• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

online petition against mobiles

Status
Not open for further replies.

rick_suffolk

live and let live people. people on mobiles are only talking, perhaps it's the frustration of only hearing one side of a conversation that prompts anyone to say ban it?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

VTPreston_Tez

This is pointless. In the long run, this can result in people getting fired from their job and everything, a whole host of problems!
Go to the quiet coach -_-

Essexman

Established Member
We can't ban mobiles but need more quiet carriages and for them to be properly enforced. But worse than the mobiles are people who want to play their music to half the coach - either unwittingly or because they don't think or care.

Bungle73

On Moderation
live and let live people. people on mobiles are only talking, perhaps it's the frustration of only hearing one side of a conversation that prompts anyone to say ban it?

A lot of people tend to talk louder when they're on the phone.

I like the way people say "go in the quiet coach". What quiet coach? And the idea that people will be sacked just because they can't use the phone for an hour is laughable really.

gswindale

So what happens in the instance that your morning commute is held up due to an incident. You are stuck on the train and cannot use your phone to call the office to comply with the policy to call before 9:30 if you're either ill or unexpectedly delayed?

Sent by Androids

Bungle73

On Moderation
So what happens in the instance that your morning commute is held up due to an incident. You are stuck on the train and cannot use your phone to call the office to comply with the policy to call before 9:30 if you're either ill or unexpectedly delayed?

Sent by Androids

How about the same thing that happened before mobiles where everywhere (which hasn't been that long)? What would they do if they were driving?

It's ridiculous how some people have become surgically attached to their mobile phones.

Eagle

Established Member
How about the same thing that happened before mobiles where everywhere (which hasn't been that long)?

Yeah, but companies' policies have changed to adapt to the use of mobiles.

Ten years ago no company would think about enforcing a rule that said "you must contact us before 9.30" as it wouldn't be possible in most cases, so it wouldn't be a problem. Now some offices do have this rule, assuming everyone will have a phone and be able to do that.

SS4

Established Member
Where are the bans in Malmo? I was there in December (I have family there) and people weren't banned from what I could see.

I can't remember many people ever annoying me by 'blaring out every detail for all to hear' as so few people actually make calls now. They're more likely playing Angry Birds, on Facebook or using BBM/IM/Email to chat to friends discreetly. On some mobile networks, 95% of usage is data. Yes, NINETY FIVE PER CENT

SMS uses a negligible amount of data. What bitrate is a voice call, 64kbps? If so then it's about 38MB for a 10 minute call. I can well believe the figures but what I'm thinking is whether or not data uses a lot because the others don't.

When the Tube gets Wi-Fi, people will be able to access information underground which could be great during disruption, like being able to get real-time running information or send an email/IM to say you're late (and no doubt, many people Tweeting that they're delayed). Unless using a VoIP service like Skype, people won't be able to make calls or use SMS - but won't be cut off.

I'd be very interested in seeing WiFi rolled out on the tube yet unsure of the mechanics since it is my understanding that WiFi would need to access the wider internet at some point. I can imagine there wouldn't be enough capacity to run VOIP without lag

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I'd be up for a ban on crappy headphones though, and make it compulsory to use in-ear 'phones that protect your hearing (lower volume needed) and have next-to-no sound leakage. It would be even better to then have the phone operate like an app you can get for the iPhone that uses the mic to monitor things going on around you - and if there's a loud announcement or noise, it will feed that sound in via the headphones, so you can hear things like announcements or someone calling you even if you're in your own little world due to listening to music.

In ear earphones hurt my ears.

They are pretty awful to be honest, I can't have them all the way in for the aforementioned reason and thus they have to be even louder than normal ones and they leak sound like crazy.

SMS uses a negligible amount of data. What bitrate is a voice call, 64kbps? If so then it's about 38MB for a 10 minute call. I can well believe the figures but what I'm thinking is whether or not data uses a lot because the others don't.
Also a GSM standard phone call is roughly ~7-12kbit/s in each direction.

jon0844

Veteran Member
Look up the latest audio codecs, which are 'HD' and use a bit more bandwidth - but are really excellent quality. Things have moved on a lot since the original GSM spec in the early 90s.

Skype and other VoIP services are dynamic and can use very little bandwidth, but most people wouldn't use them simply to make calls underground. WIFI will be stations only too, not on the trains.

Sent from my Commodore 64 using Tapatalk

table38

Established Member
'Speech jamming gun' that stops people talking by freezing the brain

When it is shot at someone speaking it keeps them quiet almost instantly using a technique that stresses humans into silence by freezing their brain.

The gun works by picking up speech with a microphone and after 0.2 seconds it fires the same noise back to the person who said it.
This technique, called 'Delayed Auditory Feedback', is according to psychologists almost certain to interrupt your speech, make someone stutter and then render them totally silent.

Greeby

Can we at least ban them when passengers are at the booking office window? Either buy a ticket or make a phone call, one or t'other.

Can't be bothered looking through the rest of this thread after reading first couple of posts, but the OP hasn't replied back, which says it all really...

Clip

Established Member
How about the same thing that happened before mobiles where everywhere (which hasn't been that long)? What would they do if they were driving?

It's ridiculous how some people have become surgically attached to their mobile phones.

Probably. But the world has moved on since then and mobiles are part of that world.

Now if im going to one of my stations for a visit and the there is disruption exactly what am I supposed to do to keep in contact with everyone that I need to be in contact with? Sorting out booking office cover if its close to shift swap and so on and so forth?

Never mind what used to happen - I need a solution to if it happens now. And that means I need my mobile phone.

table38

Established Member
Channel Tunnel to get mobile phone coverage

From July, those who feel lost without a handset permanently attached to their ear will be able to get a signal 250ft under the sea bed. Eurotunnel, which manages the 23-mile link between Folkestone and Calais, has announced a deal with telecoms providers after a French technology group worked out how to link the tunnel with mobile signals

brillopad

The joy of 'speakerphone' especially when the handset is in the middle of a table with the whole family shouting at it.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
A lot of people tend to talk louder when they're on the phone.

It's because of a lack of 'sidetone'

jon0844

Veteran Member
It's because of a lack of 'sidetone'

Most handsets should generate a fake sidetone to stop the problem, but some probably do it better than others.

Interesting, since its a French telecoms system, perhaps that will mean that UK mobiles will get the "welcome to France" network texts before arriving in the country? :lol:

Quite possibly. I did wonder how they'd do it (as in switching half way inside the tunnel). Of course, they could have simply run a leaky feeder with all networks covered, so you'd have stayed on whatever network you were on going into the tunnel, until you lost signal and began to roam.

Scotrail84

Established Member
i have started a online petition against the use of mobile devices on public transport .
prhaps i should have worded it better ,to restrict noisy devices should have been better
i am fed up with having my trips out by train or bus ruined by selfish people on phones blaring out every detail for all to hear
some places like malmo in sweden ,graz in austria and a suprise all trains in japan are banned to mobiles ,there may be others.
i do not think i have a cat in hell chance of winning this one as i am very much outnumbered ,but no harm in trying
this should have been nipped in the bud years ago.
http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/30395http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/30395[/URL]]

Lol your of your heed mate, im sorry to say this will never ever happen as someone points out its unenforceable and imo its ridiculous to even suggest such a action.

Status
Not open for further replies.