• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Online tickets overcharging

Status
Not open for further replies.

thw6

So I went from Exeter St David’s to Eastleigh return on the day and paid £31.00 now the prices are saying £49 from Salisbury to Exeter surely a glitch?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
So I went from Exeter St David’s to Eastleigh return on the day and paid £31.00 now the prices are saying £49 from Salisbury to Exeter surely a glitch?
Most likely you are looking at a ticket valid at a different time, for example over one month instead of one day (Offpeak or Anytime Return instead of ...Day Return).
I can't find the exact prices you quote so can't be more precise.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Any railcards used? That would make an Offpeak Day Return Exeter <> Eastleigh £31.30?

Veteran Member
Any railcards used? That would make an Offpeak Day Return Exeter <> Eastleigh £31.30?

The most expensive railcard standard fare is £46.85.
The off peak (period) return via Honiton is £47, so another possibility is that the OP didn't apply the railcard discount.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I also wonder if there might be a 2019 fare involved? That gets it up to £48.50 for an offpeak return via Honiton, no railcard.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
The route options available for this journey are beyond a joke.

'READING NOT LOND'
'HONITON BASINGST'
'SALISBURY/YEOVIL'
'WESTBURY SHAMPTON'

Quite what the typical customer is to make of those options when presented with them at a ticket machine, I do not know. Or why there needs to be four of them in the first place.

robbeech

Established Member
I’m surprised they haven’t removed the three least expensive ones in order to make things simpler for the passenger.

alistairlees

Established Member

'READING NOT LOND'
'HONITON BASINGST'
'SALISBURY/YEOVIL'
'WESTBURY SHAMPTON'

Quite what the typical customer is to make of those options when presented with them at a ticket machine, I do not know. Or why there needs to be four of them in the first place.
Indeed. I noticed that they were quite a fun set too. Four is rather a lot; especially as three have very marginal price differences for some products. I did also note that a rather shorter journey recently discussed - Guildford to Croydon Stns - also had four fare routes.

RJ

Established Member

'READING NOT LOND'
'HONITON BASINGST'
'SALISBURY/YEOVIL'
'WESTBURY SHAMPTON'

The expectation is that the customer picks the one that looks about right and doesn't ask too many questions about validity or which one is the best value.

Veteran Member
The expectation is that the customer picks the one that looks about right and doesn't ask too many questions about validity or which one is the best value.

To avoid confusion, we are now discussing EASTLEIGH fares (the OP was asking about Salisbury).
Two TOCs and previously business sectors, each offering their obvious route plus a longer way round; the latter could be useful to punters.
SALISBURY/YEOVIL is rather unspecific though - ROMSEY HONITON would presumably be more accurate.

JB_B

Established Member
SALISBURY/YEOVIL is rather unspecific though - ROMSEY HONITON would presumably be more accurate.

I think a YEOVIL / SALISBURY routed ticket (from Exeter St Davids to Eastleigh) should allow travel via Castle Cary as well as via Honiton (unless there's an un-easement I've missed) so it's a bit more flexible than HONITON ROMSEY would be.

Haywain

Veteran Member
I think a YEOVIL / SALISBURY routed ticket (from Exeter St Davids to Eastleigh) should allow travel via Castle Cary as well as via Honiton (unless there's an un-easement I've missed) so it's a bit more flexible than HONITON ROMSEY would be.
Are you suggesting that Exeter to Yeovil would be valid via Castle Cary? I'm not sure it would be.

JB_B

Established Member
Are you suggesting that Exeter to Yeovil would be valid via Castle Cary? I'm not sure it would be.

I think it would be, yes. (Castle Cary passes the fare check as a destination routeing point for Pen Mill. It's only a very low quality pass - off route and mixed type - but rp_calc agrees with my working.)

Status
Not open for further replies.