• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

OO Scale models with working fans and smoke?

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightStar

Evening, I am just wondering if anyone has seen any models with working fans in the roof like the real thing? How about a good simulation of the clag that a typical 37 would produce?

Robert

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
With smoke? not ready to run, though I'm sure a model club could help out with fitting one. Rotating fans are standard on Hornby's class 31, 50, 56 and HST models, though they only rotate when the loco is moving afaik.

NightStar

That is interesting. Here in the US Bachmann promised several years ago a GP35 with rotating fans, but canceled the product do to the technical issues and cost. So now at least one company offers the rotating fans? I am really interested in how the drive is set up along with the fans in that Class 50? I would like to have one SD40-2 that has working fans if I can get to the bottom of how it is done?

Robert

NightStar

My dream machine would be a loco with fully functional bidirectional lighting, rotating fans, Smoke unit that does not make a huge mess all the time, DCC control, (Or Radio Control) and a realistic sound system.

Robert

56077GD

When I was a kid in the 1970s Hornby brought out a small GWR steam loco with a small internal smoke device. Unfortunately it looked very unrealistic (like cigarette smoke) and didn't smell very nice either. I think that getting the smoke to look realistic is the real challenge but it is just a matter of time until it happens.

simon.exd

Theres a company called Seuthe (or something similar) that makes smoke generators to fit in locos etc.. look pretty good

sarahj

Established Member
I remeber once owning a hornby loco called Pincess Victoria. It had a steam noise. Ie a bit of sandpaper on the wheels in the tender which scraping produced a noise.

I've got some euro locos with working fans, but no smoke coming out, unless there are issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.