• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Opeators that still use Rollers blinds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Simon75

On Moderation
Outside TFL land, are there any operators that still use manual blinds?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

kez19

Established Member
I think a company in Glasgow/Clydebank use them ... Avondale Coaches -- source just pics on flickr.... :)

cnjb8

Established Member
Wellglade Group had them on older buses up until a few years ago. Roller blinds were standard here until 2009.

CBlue

Delaine Buses of Bourne also used manual blinds up until 2009 also, when the last new bus so fitted was delivered. Majority of their fleet still has them, I believe.

Outside TFL land, are there any operators that still use manual blinds?
Lothian do on their older buses.
Just to add, as far as I'm aware, while the Lothian buses to which you refer do still use blinds, these are selected and changed by a computer and a motor, rather than by hand, so I'm not sure they can still be described as manual blinds.

Last edited:

Simon75

On Moderation
I've renamed the thread to roller blinds , my apologies for any confusion

MotCO

Established Member
There are still companies producing Blinds for Buses (that's a clue as to the name of one company :lol:) suitable for preserved buses.

Pat1105

Just to add, as far as I'm aware, while the Lothian buses to which you refer do still use blinds, these are selected and changed by a computer and a motor, rather than by hand, so I'm not sure they can still be described as manual blinds.
Yes, Lothian use Hanover controllers (?) and TfL use Mobitec ones.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
The small Cardinal Buses operation in Surrey were 100% roller blinds until only last year, when a pair of Enviros were acquired (and a Trident also fitted). The majority of the fleet still have manual roller blinds though, featuring their school routes, common rail replacement stations, and extras such as Private Hire. They were also updated when they won some public stage carriage work, took over some routes from another operator, and the Pointer Dart even carries a route they had originally proposed to work but never got around to starting.

cainebj

Established Member

The older systems at Lothian with a three track number blind are the now defunct Bright Tech. Newer ones are Mobitec.

It's easier and nowadays cheaper to scrap off the roller blinds. The company I work for got a quote to have blinds printed for ex Lothian buses (Bright Tech system) and have the powerblind unit reprogrammed with the new codes and to programme the side LED display, but it was cheaper to buy a used set of LED boards.

CN04NRJ

Established Member

The older stuff (04/55 B7RLEs etc) use Bright Tech controllers, the newer buses with roller blinds have Mobitec controllers.

alex397

Established Member
Kent Coach Tours, a small bus and coach operator in Ashford, still have a Dart with a roller blind display. Until fairly recently, most of their buses had smart roller blinds.

Regent Coaches and even Arriva Kent Thameside had some roller blinded vehicles until last year, but they have gone now.

I'm struggling to think of any other examples now. Up until a few years ago there were still numerous examples about.

alex397

Established Member
Sullivan Buses continue to use roller blinds on their non-TfL services. But seeing as they mostly operate TfL stuff, it probably makes it easier for them to continue.

Busaholic

Veteran Member
Boris Johnson (remember him? :) ) as Mayor of London made great play of the so-called New Routemasters being sourced in almost every regard from U.K. firms, including the last remaining traditional bus blindmakers, who had supplied London's needs since Victoria was Queen, or near enough. Presumably they won't survive the current crisis, which I'd find sad.

Flange Squeal

Established Member
Boris Johnson (remember him? :) ) as Mayor of London made great play of the so-called New Routemasters being sourced in almost every regard from U.K. firms, including the last remaining traditional bus blindmakers, who had supplied London's needs since Victoria was Queen, or near enough. Presumably they won't survive the current crisis, which I'd find sad.
The New Routemaster’s blind system was supplied by McKenna Brothers, who are also the UK supplier of the ‘Mobitec‘ brand of LED destination displays, which are fitted to a large percentage of buses these days.

TheGrandWazoo

Veteran Member
Somerset with international travel (e.g. across th

delt1c

Established Member
Moving a bit of Topic who remembers Eatern Scottish when despite having fully functioning blinds used to have a habit of using stick on destinations on the front screens, not a major problem on single deckers or Fleetlines but could be see on a Loddekka , especially when both destination and return destinations were often shown.

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Moving a bit of Topic who remembers Eatern Scottish when despite having fully functioning blinds used to have a habit of using stick on destinations on the front screens, not a major problem on single deckers or Fleetlines but could be see on a Loddekka , especially when both destination and return destinations were often shown.
It is a little bit off-topic, but it was a practice undertaken by other companies too. I recall Northern using paper stickers to show origin and destination, but this was usually after a bus had been transferred from a different depot (or another company within the group), and hadn't received local blinds. Sometimes a painted destination board was placed inside the windscreen.

If there's enough interest we could split this into a separate thread.

MotCO

Established Member
Go-Coach based in Sevenoaks.
Their single deckers (Solos, Metrocity and Versas) all seem to have digital displays. The Plaxton President double deckers did have rollers, but I think that they are being replaced by E400s, ex Quality Line - I don't know if their blinds will be replaced.

MB162435

Established Member
Kernow until recently had roller blinds on their BMCs, but the last one left the fleet a few days ago

JetBlast

Sullivan Buses continue to use roller blinds on their non-TfL services. But seeing as they mostly operate TfL stuff, it probably makes it easier for them to continue.

Not all of them though

Status
Not open for further replies.