• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Open Access: Blackpool to Euston

Status
Not open for further replies.

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Its been single track since the through line to Blackpool central was closed along with that station.

I think some of the track bed exists. In some ways its a shame its not connecting to Blackpool north, but that would essentially replicate the tram, albiet with a less scenic view.

Some of the track bed of the direct 'Marton Line' might well exist, but a large portion of it is under the M55 motorway. Given the electrification work that's going to be taking place on the North Line, I'm surprised that an (even temporary) loop wasn't installed on the South line. Vaguely back on topic, I could see St. Annes being a draw for London passengers, and not just every few years when The Open Championship is at Royal Lytham!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Whistler40145

Established Member
Majority of the trackbed of the Marton Route is both the M55 and Yeadon Way, which finishes near to Blackpool South Railway Station.

pemma

Veteran Member
Blimey, wasn't aware that the situation had been resolved, not seen anything in the newspapers!

It's been on North West Tonight and Granada Reports. It's unusual for a local story to make the regional TV news but not the local newspapers!

Blimey, wasn't aware that the situation had been resolved, not seen anything in the newspapers!

There was nothing in the papers about it because it was a non-story! In fact it was solved by the Monday after the Gazette had the story about chaos on I think a Thursday. I used the service the day after the story was printed, the only difference being at Ronaldsway we taxied to by the fire station and were met with executive minibuses that ferried us around the outside of perimeter and dropped us off in front of the terminal. Landing to front of terminal took all of 10 minutes. Hardy chaos as the Gazette were saying!

Whistler40145

Established Member
Indeed, nearly everything gets into the Blackpool Evening Gazette, but I rarely purchase a copy and usually read the news on the website.

evergreenadam

I am sure somebody will explain why to me......

Alliance Rail have recently had an OA bid for Blackpool to Euston starting in May 2017 under the GNWR brand rejected.

Alliance Rail have just submitted an OA application bid for Blackpool to Euston starting in May 2017 under the Grand Central brand.

If the GNWR bid got rejected, why wouldn't the Grand Central one be too?

Queen's Park to Blackpool paths approved to run from 2018 according to this article in The Guardian:
http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...gnwr-london-blackpool-west-coast-rail-service

Status
Not open for further replies.