• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

"Open All Doors" function

Status
Not open for further replies.

6Gman

Established Member
How many units have an "open all doors" function? Issue raised in another forum whether traincrew could operate doors to avoid passengers having to press "door open" buttons in current circumstances.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

aleggatta

ISTR there was an instruction for the driver of 377's to operate the 'Doors open' button on 377's when arriving at Victoria and releasing the doors, mind you it may have just been a courtesy for those passengers slightly slower off the mark, but the button exists on Electrostars and is operated from the leading cab.

You might have to explain that to me. Leading cab only?

The control of opening all doors is via the TMS using the appropriate screen and soft keys. The TMS displays only function when keyed into a cab desk at the respective end so the guard won't have this control at the rear. The door enable buttons for the appropriate side still need to be operated before doing this.

The way this could work is guard steps off, checks train is in platform, enable the doors the normal way and then communicate with the driver to open them via his/her TMS. By that point I expect the passengers will have already opened their local door open push buttons though!

TFN

I’ve definitely seen it on the GatEx 387s when some drivers opens all the doors a minute before departure

Pumbaa

Established Member
Mk4s. Useful when trying to find a sticky door that was preventing you from gaining interlock.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
185s but only via the leading TMS display.

You might have to explain that to me. Leading cab only?

The control of opening all doors is via the TMS using the appropriate screen and soft keys.

Well I must say I didn’t know about this, but then as the TMS has been deactivated in the inactive cab the usefulness of the TMS has been taken away from us tail lamps....

I do think however this should be an easily accessible feature available available to anyone with active door control. I think there should also be an option to close but not interlock the doors, although as most doors close automatically after a set time the need for this is much reduced but would still be useful

They were modified for reliability if I remember correctly, they'd often flag up with german warning notes!

Aictos

Established Member
How many units have an "open all doors" function? Issue raised in another forum whether traincrew could operate doors to avoid passengers having to press "door open" buttons in current circumstances.

Class 700s between London Bridge and St Pancras International via City Thameslink

Although I said 185s in my post it was the same on 350s too, so I expect all Desiros old and new have the ability via the TMS. It's used during the prep routine.

TheEdge

Established Member
745s and 755s do.

I tried to use it to stop people from having to open the doors but you have to hold the door open for about 3 or 5 seconds by which time most people are already hammering away at the buttons.

driver9000

Established Member
The control of opening all doors is via the TMS using the appropriate screen and soft keys. The TMS displays only function when keyed into a cab desk at the respective end so the guard won't have this control at the rear. The door enable buttons for the appropriate side still need to be operated before doing this.

The way this could work is guard steps off, checks train is in platform, enable the doors the normal way and then communicate with the driver to open them via his/her TMS. By that point I expect the passengers will have already opened their local door open push buttons though!

That sounds like the doors test function and isn't used in service. The Guard has full control of the doors on the 185 and you're not describing how the doors are operated in service.

That sounds like the doors test function and isn't used in service. The Guard has full control of the doors on the 185 and you're not describing how the doors are operated in service.

I know, I was describing how the doors could be used without passengers pressing buttons as per the original post. I also suggested why it wouldn't be very effective anyway.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
They were modified for reliability if I remember correctly, they'd often flag up with german warning notes!

The hard drives of the TMS computers were becoming corrupted because of the way a train is shut down )(batteries off button) doesn’t give the windows Based operating system time to shut down properly, so the HDDs were becoming corrupted, hence the German error messages. Because of the copyright of the TMS software it was apparently cheaper to link the shutdown of the TMS computer to the master switch than to reformat or replace the hard drives...

Status
Not open for further replies.