• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Open Return instead of season ticket

Status
Not open for further replies.

OPhous

Hi,
I was approached by a revenue inspection officer who interviewed me today and informed me to expect a letter in regards to prosecution for fare evasion.

The reason for this is because it came up on their system that there was fraudulent activity due to the fact I have been purchasing weekly travelcards between two stations at the end of my journey to work. For the other parts of the journey I have been using valid open returns. I did not reuse these. This method works out cheaper than buying an annual season ticket for the entire journey as sometimes I drive to work and sometimes work from home.

The officer seemed to accept this, however I am now concerned because I haven't been keeping the open return tickets. How can I / they prove that I didn't have open return tickets for the duration I have been buying the weekly tickets. - Can I/they use CCTV orsee my purchase history on their systems?

Sorry if this is unclear, It is a complicated situation.

Thanks

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

OPhous

Hi,
Thanks for quick response.
The travelcard is between clapham junction and putney
The Open returns which I have been buying are between brighton and clapham junction.

Romilly

Established Member
If you have been buying online, there is a likely to be a record of your purchases, although proving that you purchased a ticket doesn't prove that you used it (e.g. I might use my online account with a ticket retailer to legitimately buy tickets for a child or partner).

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
How many days a week do you work at Putney?

cantabrigian

If you have been buying online, there is a likely to be a record of your purchases

Or if you bought the tickets in person using your credit/debit card as opposed to with cash, that will also create a record on your bill or bank statement? Still doesn't prove you used them, of course, but better than nothing?

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I would imagine the suspicion is caused by the fact that your Clapham Junction - Putney travelcard will show entrance/exits at Putney but no corresponding entrance/exits at Clapham Junction. What evidence are they offering to accuse you of fare evasion?

gray1404

Established Member
What evidence are they offering to accuse you of fare evasion?

This whole thing sounds like nonsense. So you get reported now for using split tickets, which is totally in line with the NRCoC.

najaB

Veteran Member
So you get reported now for using split tickets, which is totally in line with the NRCoC.
It's a little more than just using split tickets though, isn't it.

I am interested to know what grounds they have other than ticket purchase pattern though, as that isn't enough to support a prosecution.

gray1404

Established Member
It's a little more than just using split tickets though, isn't it..

How so? It sounds like a simple split ticket to me.

As soon as the RPI saw the OP had a valid onward ticket that should have been the end of it.

najaB

Veteran Member
How so? It sounds like a simple split ticket to me.
The fact that the RPI said words to the effect that the OP had 'come up on their system' means it wasn't just an overzealous RPI reporting the OP for using a split ticket.

As yorkie said, without knowing why they were flagged on the system, it's difficult to provide any useful advice.

gray1404

Established Member
Also, its up to the TOC to prove the OP committed an offence rather then for the OP to prove they didn't. (such as providing used tickets from previous journeys)

island

Veteran Member
I suppose they believe you to have been reusing period return tickets. They have to prove you've done that, and if you haven't done anything wrong, you have little to worry about.

Hannes

I've been in a similar position with an irregular Oyster card history and boundary tickets going out of London. Everything worked out OK, though I now have nothing but contempt for the TOC involved. But hopefully I can be of assistance as best I can.

My first bit of advice is to relax. If you've been an honest traveler and presented a valid ticket to the RPI then the worst that should happen is hassle proving your innocence and nothing more.

In terms of what to do now - save the tickets you showed the inspector on the day somewhere safe. Make some photocopies if needed. Also see if you can find proof of any prior purchases: ideally old tickets or receipts, but even bank statements could be of use. (if you used an Oyster card then download all 8 weeks of your history now)

Then wait. If a letter arrives pop back here and let us know what it says, I'm sure you'll get plenty of help. But don't worry about it too much until then.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Also, its up to the TOC to prove the OP committed an offence rather then for the OP to prove they didn't. (such as providing used tickets from previous journeys)
It is up to the TOC to prove guilt when a case goes to court, but the OP may wish to avoid going to court and that may be achieved by providing compelling evidence that no offence has been committed.

Status
Not open for further replies.