• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Open return question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattybe

Hi all, I have a query on whether the open return I bought will actually be accepted or not.

I need to travel from shotton to stansted airport this coming week so I had a look on trainline for open returns. I needed to get to the airport at 12:30pm which meant an early outgoing start. After looking around on trainline, I found one option which was a good price using my YP railcard which started at 07:27. I'm just worried that the train conductor wont accept my open return YP ticket on either the first arriva or second virgin outgoing train. There's no details on the outgoing ticket itself, just off peak return, shotton to stansted.

I'm just hoping that surely the fact that trainline sold me this ticket in the first place will mean I'm safe, also I just skipped the seat reservation step as usual, probably a silly mistake.. Will I be ok?

Cheers
Matt

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

First class

Established Member
Depends:

If it is routed +Any Permitted (£56.45), you can use ANY Virgin Trains service if you hold a railcard. Even if you didn't hold a railcard, as long as you arrived into London after 10:00am it isn't a problem.
2) Holders of Off-Peak ticket
types SVS/SVR, which are
discounted using 16-25, Senior
, Disabled Persons, HM Forces
and Family & Friends Railcards
, New Deal Photocards and
Inter-Rail (Code 70) Cards,
may use ANY Virgin_train
service, provided that the
route on the ticket is not
"Virgin Trains Only" and the
journey being made is priced
by Virgin Trains. If the
journey is not priced by
Virgin Trains then the stated
Off-Peak restictions apply.
3) Only Senior, Disabled
persons and HM Forces
Railcards discounts are
offered with First Class
Off-Peak Tickets.

HOWEVER - If it is routed ELY £59.25 or NOT LONDON £63.45 then you can only travel after 09:00am. Although I doubt m(any) of these tickets get sold seeing as the +Any Permitted Off Peak Return is cheaper!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
I suspect this could be a Virgin priced ticket and so the railcard will make the off-peak ticket valid at that time, it would not normally be.

I can't double check atm, but it seems the most likely answer.

EDIT: beaten to it!

mattybe

It says.. Any permitted and the train arrives at Euston 10:12. The first part of the journey is from Shotton to Warrington bank quay (arrive at 08:06) which is where I change over, I believe this is via Arriva trains Wales? Will there be any problem here too?

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Hi all, I have a query on whether the open return I bought will actually be accepted or not.
The ticket type "Open Return" no longer exists, and has been renamed Anytime, but the abbreviations still exist.

SOR = Anytime Return (formerly Standard Open Return)
FOR = First Anytime Return (formerly First Open Return)

The other thing to change is that the outward portion is only valid for 5 days
I need to travel from shotton\chester to stansted airport this coming week so I had a look on trainline for open returns.
Part of the reason for the abolishment of the Open Return is Thetrainline using the term "open" to mean "a ticket that is not tied to a specific train", that is not necessarily the same as the official term "Open" which meant "a ticket that is valid on ANY train for one calendar month"!

It is perhaps surprising that Thetrainline were allowed to cause such confusion.
I needed to get to the airport at 12:30pm which meant an early outgoing start. After looking around on trainline, I found one option which was a good price using my YP railcard which started at 07:27. I'm just worried that the train conductor wont accept my open return YP ticket on either the first arriva or second virgin outgoing train. There's no details on the outgoing ticket itself, just off peak return, shotton to stansted.
Ah, it's not an SOR, but an Off Peak Return (SVR). So it's not what used to be called the "Open" return. It's what used to be called a "Saver" return. Under BR all Saver returns that did not avoid going to, or via London or certain stations near London, were valid at any time. Now things are rather less simple, and we must check the validity code. We can do this if we know the origin, destination, ticket type and route. Sometimes we don't need to know the route, if there is only one route, but in your case we do need to know the route before we can assist.

The restrictions do vary depending on the routeing of your ticket in your case, and other cases. This of course is not in any way "simple", despite the railway companies claiming that it is.
I'm just hoping that surely the fact that trainline sold me this ticket in the first place will mean I'm safe, also I just skipped the seat reservation step as usual, probably a silly mistake.. Will I be ok?

Cheers
Matt
If the ticket is valid, it should be accepted regardless.

If the ticket is not valid, then having a reservation and/or bringing the itinerary printed from Thetrainline certainly helps your case.

Chances are it is valid, as Thetrainline is usually correct.

However we are unable to assist further unless we know exactly what ticket you hold. If you are able to give us the routeing on the ticket that would be a great help. (We could probably work it out if we discovered the price!)
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
It says.. Any permitted and the train arrives at Euston 10:12. The first part of the journey is from Shotton to Warrington bank quay (arrive at 08:06) which is where I change over, I believe this is via Arriva trains Wales? Will there be any problem here too?
Right, so the ticket is from Shotton not Chester. Your original post had both stations in, so I have removed the reference to Chester to avoid confusion. I am also going to edit the title of your post to avoid confusion too.

Avantix Traveller said:
SHOTTON (SHT) to STANSTED AIRPORT (SSD)
SVR - OFF-PEAK R VWC
00000 - +ANY PERMITTED

1 Adult @£ 56.45 = £ 56.45 (with Railcard discount)

Restriction : VK
Restriction Applies Monday to
Friday only. No travel
restrictions on other days.

OUTWARD TRAVEL:
You may travel on any train
that is scheduled to ARRIVE:
London Euston: At or after

London Marylebone: At or after
London Paddington: At or after
Milton Keynes Central: At or
after 1000
Reading: At or after 0940
Watford Junction: At or after

RETURN TRAVEL:
You may travel on any train
that is scheduled to DEPART:
London Euston: At or after
0905 but not valid on the 1610

London Marylebone: By any
train.
London Paddington: Between
0810 and 1640, or after 1831
Milton Keynes Central: At or a
0905 but not valid on the 1640
Reading: Between 0835 and 1710
, or after 1859.
Watford Junction: At or after

* Break of journey is not
valid on Outward Travel.

Please note: Off-Peak
restrictions on Virgin Trains
services will not apply from
22nd April - 25th April inc.

Note that the ticket is "unrestricted between London and [Stansted], and return"

Restrictions only apply on the leg to/from Euston.

The quickest/shortest way to travel between London Euston and Stansted is to take the Victoria Line from Euston to Tottenham Hale, but you may wish to go via Liverpool Street, which is of course perfectly valid. If you think the train to Stansted may be busy, starting at Liverpool St may be of benefit to get a seat. The Metropolitan line from Euston Square to Liverpool St is also a more 'civilised' way to travel than the deep Victoria tube line in my opinion, too! Plus, Liverpool St is worth a visit, and there are good facilities there including many shops.

mattybe

Sorry my mistake, I meant off peak return (don't know why i kept saying open)
The full route on my confirmation booking is...

Shotton - Warrington Bank Quay 07:27 - 08:06
WBQ to - Euston 08:20 - 10:12
Euston - Tottenham Hale
TH - Stansted airport

Ok so from what I can see, I should be perfectly fine? Ill print off my booking email too as well..

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Sorry my mistake, I meant off peak return (don't know why i kept saying open)

No problem; not your fault. It's thetrainline's fault for causing confusion!

By the way I suggest using a different site. None of the train companies' own sites charges a booking fee, and many of them allow the tickets to be collected or posted free of charge too.

Also, this ticket, as it is a 'walk-on' (ie, not Advance) ticket is the same price when purchased at Shotton station (or, if Shotton station does not have a ticket office open at that time, then on board the train).
The full route on my confirmation booking is...

Shotton - Warrington Bank Quay 07:27 - 08:06
WBQ to - Euston 08:20 - 10:12
Euston - Tottenham Hale
TH - Stansted airport

Ok so from what I can see, I should be perfectly fine? Ill print off my booking email too as well..
Yes, you'll be perfectly fine (providing you remember to bring your railcard or else it'll cost you a 3-figure sum on top! ;)), I really wouldn't bother to print anything out. The guard can look it up themselves if he/she doesn't know the validity but I am sure they will know it's valid.

island

Veteran Member
Also, this ticket, as it is a 'walk-on' (ie, not Advance) ticket is the same price when purchased at Shotton station (or, if Shotton station does not have a ticket office open at that time, then on board the train).

No it's not, it's £1 cheaper!

Status
Not open for further replies.