• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Open Returns unavailable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waverley125

This has been something I've known for a while, but never really considered.

Between Leeds and York it's impossible to get anything more than a day ticket, even via Harrogate.

Given these are supposed to be standard universally-available tickets on the network (i.e. Anytime & Off-Peak Returns), why is this?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

najaB

Veteran Member
Between Leeds and York it's impossible to get anything more than a day ticket, even via Harrogate.

Given these are supposed to be standard universally-available tickets on the network (i.e. Anytime & Off-Peak Returns), why is this?
It's not uncommon for that to be the case for short flows. There are no period returns between Glasgow and Edinburgh, for example.

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
There aren't many 'short distance' journeys that have open tickets (it's mainly for airports), but, where there are, they are often the price of two Anytime singles, or very close to it.

The problem is the period of validity for the ticket, some people attempt to use the tickets like a season ticket rather than a return. I have witnessed a passenger tell a colleague that they believed the outward portion of an Anytime return (one trip within a five day period) was valid for five trips, one each day.

Adam0984

You can get an open return Leeds to York any permitted, in fact you can get 2.
An Off-Peak Rtn at £17.80 and An Anytime Rtn at £21.60

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

The universal requirement is that an Anytime fare is available, which can be a Day ticket for short flows.

Status
Not open for further replies.