• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Open Train Times - "Where's all the freight?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poggs

Lots of people have already contacted me to ask where the non-passenger services have gone from OpenTrainTimes. There are many rumours, the vast majority of which simply aren't true.

There is a debate at the moment over ownership of the schedules - some of it has happened in public, and some of it hasn't. I am not going to comment on any of it other than to say that some valid questions have been raised.

In response to this, I have taken the decision to switch to only displaying trains from the ATOC data feed available from http://data.atoc.org/ until everyone concerned can come up with a way forward.

This also conveniently allows me to work on some of the bigger things I'm planning, such as a map of where trains are, and the real-time side to the website, in preparation for Network Rail's Open Data initiative later in the year.

I realise a lot of people are disappointed, but I hope the majority of you understand the situation.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

GB

Established Member
Can you elaborate anymore on this Network Rail's Open Data initiative?

BRX

Established Member
Having the freight times on there was great while it lasted... I really hope you can find a way to resolve this and get it back up again.

The Planner

Veteran Member
Judging by that document, making the staff version of the LDB open to everyone would pretty much tick the box passenger schedule wise, as it is pretty much a TRUST line up for each schedule anyway.

ralphchadkirk

Established Member
Judging by that document, making the staff version of the LDB open to everyone would pretty much tick the box passenger schedule wise, as it is pretty much a TRUST line up for each schedule anyway.

No, it says they will be releasing the datasets, which would allow anyone to use them to produce apps/sites or whatever.

Ze Random One

The main difference is that when the data has been formatted by another application (be that on the www or elsewhere) it takes a lot of effort for a computer to work out what it means - computers deal much better with data which is stored in a 'structured' rather than a 'visual' format - so the official datasets are much better, because you can be certain where everything will be in the file/feed, and you can be sure that you've got every record that you should have, in the right order.

the sniper

Established Member
That is a shame Poggs, as having the freight paths on your site was brilliant while it lasted!

Hopefully they'll return at some point, sooner rather than later would be nice. :)

ex-railwayman

Yes absolutely, we do understand Poggs, but, the rail freight fans of this country have now gone into serious withdrawal symptoms, we just can't cope anymore, I hope you get the opportunity to get them back on again, in time for the summer months, so, we can all go out in the sunshine with our cameras.....:D

Cheerz. ex-railwayman.

Poggs

Yes - I'm going to be putting another blog entry up this weekend! Don't worry, I haven't given up.

Status
Not open for further replies.