• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Operating Incident @ Brighton

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seanmac86

Hi guys and Girls am new here so be gentle and am sorry if this is not the right place, but what is an Operating incident apparently that has happened on platform 5 & 6 which are now closed.

Thanks for letting me join also

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hluraven

An example of an operating incident occured last week when a 10-car train was wrongly signalled into an 8-car platform at London Bridge, which caused delays as it had to go back out of the platform and back into a suitable platform.

It could cover a number of similar things but that might be it.

Seanmac86

cool so should be sorted by home time with any luck

now saying an obstruction on the line so who knows :roll:

Evvy73

Latest Tweet states:-

@networkrail: #Brighton - Staff are on site helping to clear the obstruction. Platforms 6/7 currently out of use

......so what ever it was it sounds as though it should be cleared soon.

tcm1106

Motorised tug and water bowser fell onto the tracks causing the 3rd rail to short and trip. Reason for the delay is to get a winch/crane to remove the bowser.

ushawk

Established Member
Bowser might have been nicked judging by this

From what i have heard, the driver was trying to reverse around to get back to the top of the platform, but misjudged it so it fell onto the tracks. There was a FCC train in platform 5 (the next platform) when it happened so it had probably just emptied its tank.

The staff kneeling to the floor were around the injured driver who has been stretchered to Hospital (injuries arent too bad). Hoping to re-open Platform 7 soon, Platform 6 will remain closed until its removed and safety checks have been made.

Hopefully the driver makes a full recovery !!

ATW Alex 101

Established Member
ouch, wouldn't the driver have received an electric shock looking at the postion of the drivers cab and how close it is to the 3rd rail? And what is that machine thingy?
Hope the driver recovers soon

neilm

I think at Brighton the 3rd rail is protected which might of helped. That machine empties the toilets and I assume also tops the water up.

OxtedL

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
I'm not convinced they empty the toilets, I think they just fill up the water? It possibly wouldn't be a good idea to have a tank of raw sewage trundling round a station.

Then again I could be completely wrong.

tcm1106

I'm not convinced they empty the toilets, I think they just fill up the water? It possibly wouldn't be a good idea to have a tank of raw sewage trundling round a station.

Then again I could be completely wrong.

Toilets are done via the CET facilities on depot. Bowsers on platforms only ever contain water.

neilm

Cool thanks for the info, strange because I have been on trains from Brighton that still have no water.

BestWestern

Established Member
Just water in the bowsers, they don't empty the bogs whilst the train is in the station. Might raise a few eyebrows! As far as I'm aware, the FCC 319's wouldn't have chemical retention toilets?

According to internal info, it was indeed a member of staff driving the bowser. I would agree he/she was incredibly fortunate not to have fallen onto the juice rail, could have been far worse.

tcm1106

Just water in the bowsers, they don't empty the bogs whilst the train is in the station. Might raise a few eyebrows! As far as I'm aware, the FCC 319's wouldn't have chemical retention toilets?

According to internal info, it was indeed a member of staff driving the bowser. I would agree he/she was incredibly fortunate not to have fallen onto the juice rail, could have been far worse.

Apologies. I'm not familiar with 319s! Even so, if they were fitted with tanks, emptying whilst at a station is not going to be happening...

daikilo

Established Member
Apologies. I'm not familiar with 319s! Even so, if they were fitted with tanks, emptying whilst at a station is not going to be happening...

As far as I am aware, most airliner toilet waste tanks are emptied at the end of one or a few flights, between flights.

I see no reason why this should be an issue in a station if similar equipment were used That said, whereas an aircraft probably has one and no more than three collection points, trains still have one per vehicle, and vehichle lengths and access point locations vary. I believe it is not an issue of whether but rather, how.

Harbon 1

As far as I am aware, most airliner toilet waste tanks are emptied at the end of one or a few flights, between flights.

I see no reason why this should be an issue in a station if similar equipment were used That said, whereas an aircraft probably has one and no more than three collection points, trains still have one per vehicle, and vehichle lengths and access point locations vary. I believe it is not an issue of whether but rather, how.

If this happened though, there is room for error, as most trains don't have a 90 minte turn around time. Also it could cause chaos as happened years ago where the person who was emptying the tank turned it from suck, to blow, the rest writes itself, with a large thud, and suddenly browning windows :lol:

pendolino

An example of an operating incident occured last week when a 10-car train was wrongly signalled into an 8-car platform at London Bridge, which caused delays as it had to go back out of the platform and back into a suitable platform.

That's not quite what happened as far as I'm aware. The train was routed into platform 14 but the driver stopped at the signal and queried the route because he had 10 cars (14 is 8 cars in length). But the signal he had stopped at only leads to 14/15/16 (all 8 cars) so he had to change ends and go wrong road back one section and be routed back in to a different signal that gives access to 9-13 (these are 12 car platforms).

Sorry, a bit pedantic I know.

MCR247

Established Member
I wouldn't like to be walking along the tracks on the approach to London Bridge! (if it was mon-gangway stock)

KA4C

I wouldn't like to be walking along the tracks on the approach to London Bridge! (if it was mon-gangway stock)

Well, you get the block on the adjacent road and only get out on the P Way between units

jopsuk

Veteran Member
"Operating incident" is a bit of a catch-all term that can be used when:
A: the explanation is a bit long winded
B: the explanation is a tad embaressing
C: Control don't yet know what has actually happened

asylumxl

Established Member
I believe the 319s do have retention tanks. Chemical? I don't know. Unless there are different kinds of retention tanks.

If so, forgive my ignorance :).

westcoaster

Established Member
Just an update, the member of staff involved did come into contact with the 3rd rail, and luckily and I mean it only received burns to his arm. He managed to get him self up of the track just a driver got there to help him, one lucky chap. Hoping for a speedy recovery.

Class377/5

Established Member
"Operating incident" is a bit of a catch-all term that can be used when:
A: the explanation is a bit long winded
B: the explanation is a tad embaressing
C: Control don't yet know what has actually happened

Note not the latter for most TOC's actually. That's why they use the term problem under investigation. Operating incident is something different and viewed very seriously.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That's not quite what happened as far as I'm aware. The train was routed into platform 14 but the driver stopped at the signal and queried the route because he had 10 cars (14 is 8 cars in length). But the signal he had stopped at only leads to 14/15/16 (all 8 cars) so he had to change ends and go wrong road back one section and be routed back in to a different signal that gives access to 9-13 (these are 12 car platforms).

Sorry, a bit pedantic I know.

Actually that's not the full story but a part missed out if we're being pedantic.

Status
Not open for further replies.