• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Operational Incident at Blackfriars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy Pacer

Established Member
Severe disruption to Thameslink services this morning due to what is described as an 'operational incident' at Blackfriars. Delays of up to around 60 mins.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
While I’m sad to see the line closed and people’s journeys affected, I’m glad “operational incident” turned out to be a (somewhat silly and embarrassing) driver mistake and not a derailment as I had first feared. That’s usually what has happened when train staff use that term, I’ve found.

dk1

Veteran Member
Someone forgot to pan down at Farringdon?
Oh does that still happen? Used to be regular. Thankfully with 755s pan protection stops us before we do any damage but it’s tight at Farringdon so no room for error.

BluePenguin

On Moderation
What exactly happens when drivers forget? I thought the pantograph would simply sit redundant in the air, the train would leave before shortly crawling to a halt. The a case of switching to third rail power and carrying on. Or vice versa

dk1

Veteran Member
What exactly happens when drivers forget? I thought the pantograph would simply sit redundant in the air, the train would leave before shortly crawling to a halt. The a case of switching to third rail power and carrying on. Or vice versa
Doesn’t it go directly into tunnel at Farringdon though?

Nottingham59

Established Member
How long would a non-conducting rail have to be beyond the end of the overhead line to force the pan down and protect it from the tunnel roof? Would that be practical?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Doesn’t it go directly into tunnel at Farringdon though?

How long would a non-conducting rail have to be beyond the end of the overhead line to force the pan down and protect it from the tunnel roof? Would that be practical?
The overhead continues right through to City Thameslink anyway. The pan only comes off the wires just a short distance before Blackfriars southbound.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The overhead continues right through to City Thameslink anyway. The pan only comes off the wires just a short distance before Blackfriars southbound.
The conductor bar basically ends on the incline out of City Thameslink, as the line emerges into daylight.

jon0844

Veteran Member
While I’m sad to see the line closed and people’s journeys affected, I’m glad “operational incident” turned out to be a (somewhat silly and embarrassing) driver mistake and not a derailment as I had first feared. That’s usually what has happened when train staff use that term, I’ve found.

I'd say that this is used more for a SPAD or opening the doors wrong side, missing a stop or something than a derailment. I think you should not jump to the latter conclusion whenever you see that stated!

Also there was an incident on the ECML this morning too, involving someone jumping from a train to avoid the police.

On the plus side, it seems the service (sans incidents) has drivers today.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
So what happened in this case? Did the pan come off the wires after City Thameslink or something?
That’s what’s happened before. The distance between the two stations is very short, (only about 100m to the building at Queen Victoria St), so if the front pan over extends AIUI the auto dropping device won’t catch it before getting to Blackfriars. The rear pan will still be in contact for longer.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
That’s what’s happened before. The distance between the two stations is very short, so if the front pan over extends AIUI the auto dropping device won’t catch it before getting to Blackfriars. The rear pan will still be in contact for longer.

Presumably the train can carry on applying power (via the rear pan) until the auto dropping activates?

island

Veteran Member
I'd say that this is used more for a SPAD or opening the doors wrong side, missing a stop or something than a derailment. I think you should not jump to the latter conclusion whenever you see that stated!
More often than any of the above it’s used to indicate a one-under.

bengley

Established Member
Thought that was all automatic now?
Empty stock train

Automatic changeover only works when the train stops.

More often than any of the above it’s used to indicate a one-under.
That's normally 'Emergency services dealing with an incident'

Yes, save that it is (I think) a rigid bar rather than wires.
It's wires at City. The bar is only in the St Pancras area.

LAX54

Established Member
So when in passenger service Class 9, the pan drops auto, but when in ecs mode, the pan has to be lowered by the driver, just sounds like an accident waiting to happen....oh it did !

bengley

Established Member
So when in passenger service Class 9, the pan drops auto, but when in ecs mode, the pan has to be lowered by the driver, just sounds like an accident waiting to happen....oh it did !
Indeed - drivers rarely have to manually do the changeover now, so they are more likely to make a mistake on the rare occasion they do have to

Is there no engineered protection to prevent this?
Only when the train stops in passenger service!

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just a gentle reminder that any speculative posts should be made in the appropriate forum section please.

Some posts have been moved
here.

Status
Not open for further replies.