• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Operational incident between Newport and Hereford - 15/02/19

Status
Not open for further replies.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Currently at Newport waiting for the next train to Cardiff. Apparently there's been an operational incident near Hereford. Anyone aware of what's going on? Usually when social media sites state an operational incident it usually means something quite serious has happened.

Replacement road transport has been sourced. Staff at Newport are advising Shrewsbury/Manchester/the north passengers to catch London services to Bristol Parkway and change onto XC from there.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

father_jack

175 107 reported to be on fire at Pontrilas while working 0831 Manchester Pic to Milford Haven. Pax all safe and in signal box compound.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
The digital boards at Ludlow are saying that it is an operational incident at Abergavenny. The ETA for resolution has gone up from 13:00 to 15:00.

It's at Pontrilas, in between Abergavenny and Hereford. Looks pretty bad. 0750 Fishguard to Manchester currently sat OOS at Newport (175104), 0830 ex Llandudno cancelled and 1121 Cardiff to Holyhead cancelled.

philjo

Established Member
Is this the sort of thing that will mess the system up for the rest of the day? I may have quite a bit of fun trying to get back to Edinburgh from Craven Arms this evening.
The 1800 from Craven Arms to Crewe is the Heart of Wales Service so that should still be running. RTT also shows at least one northbound service is also starting from Hereford.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Well apart from their inclination to combust, hayfever and magnetic attraction to tractors on crossings they're nice units.

They are. The seats are the comfiest I've ever sat on. The journey from Cardiff to Manchester feels like I'm sat on my sofa at home!

Esker-pades

Established Member
The 1800 from Craven Arms to Crewe is the Heart of Wales Service so that should still be running. RTT also shows at least one northbound service is also starting from Hereford.
I'll be sure to be there in time for that. I have an advance single for the 18:25, but if that's delayed or cancelled, I'm not risking it.

craigybagel

Established Member
Normal plan for issues like this is to turn everything around at Hereford where possible, or falling that Shrewsbury. There is also plan in place for moving the problem unit out of the way so I wouldn't be too worried about getting from Craven Arms North this evening - but turning up early fit the HOWL service would probably be prudent all the same.

tomwills98

Normal plan for issues like this is to turn everything around at Hereford where possible, or falling that Shrewsbury. There is also plan in place for moving the problem unit out of the way so I wouldn't be too worried about getting from Craven Arms North this evening - but turning up early fit the HOWL service would probably be prudent all the same.

Buses between Newport and Shrewsbury calling all stops. Nothing mentioned yet about the 18:00 from Craven Arms so it looks like it's still running. Should hopefully have some stuff moving by then.

father_jack

2 units required, one at each end to move stricken train into Pontrilas loop, hence the long delay estimate.

Modron

Saw the photo on Wales Online, glad that everybody is safe.

Reading some of the comments above about 'combustion', could people elaborate on these? Is there an issue with the 175s? Bit worried as I use these trains going up to see relatives in Manchester.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Saw the photo on Wales Online, glad that everybody is safe.

Reading some of the comments above about 'combustion', could people elaborate on these? Is there an issue with the 175s? Bit worried as I use these trains going up to see relatives in Manchester.
Alstom DMU's of early 2000's heritage have a minor flame related engine issue.

Parallel

Established Member
Probably quite scary for those having to evacuate but glad to read everyone got off safely. Rather unfortunate for KeolisAmey it’s one of the units that’s been freshly painted into TfW colours.

AndrewE

Established Member
Is this the sort of thing that will mess the system up for the rest of the day?
Yes! The 1730 Manchester [Crewe - Salop - Hereford] Cardiff was cancelled this evening. Handy for a Friday evening at the start of half-term, especially on top of the WCML disruption earlier today because of the bridge strike N of Stafford.

Esker-pades

Established Member
Yes! The 1730 Manchester [Crewe - Salop - Hereford] Cardiff was cancelled this evening. Handy for a Friday evening at the start of half-term, especially on top of the WCML disruption earlier today because of the bridge strike N of Stafford.
Yep. Cancellations and short-running all over the shop. I was allowed to travel on an earlier service from Craven Arms so I could make my connections at Crewe.

anamyd

On Moderation
It's at Pontrilas, in between Abergavenny and Hereford. Looks pretty bad. 0750 Fishguard to Manchester currently sat OOS at Newport (175104), 0830 ex Llandudno cancelled and 1121 Cardiff to Holyhead cancelled.
OOS = out of service...?

They are. The seats are the comfiest I've ever sat on. The journey from Cardiff to Manchester feels like I'm sat on my sofa at home!
some of the padding is wearing thin. the seats need to be repadded NOT replaced as that means ironing boards nowadays.

They're absolutely dreadful. I don't know why they combust so frequently!
Andy25 of Alstom said on 6/2/19:

"180's has been a funny one, we hadn't been involved with them for many years and the reliability compared to the 175 was terrible. We signed a tech support contract a few years ago and applied many of the modifications we'd done to 175 to solve a lot of the issues but as always cost comes in to it and what the owner/operator is willing to pay.

At the moment as the future of the fleet is uncertain you won't have anyone willing to put their hands in their pockets to pay for upgrades as there is no guarantee of a return."

"They were built before I joined but I'm aware from those involved that the Coradia fleets suffered because they were built to cost. Customers gave a low budget target and the only way to achieve it was to make compromises that Alstom wouldn't have normally made. Things like the level of corrosion protection on steel sections and not having air dryers on some pneumatic systems etc.

I would imagine knowing how it has affected our reputation on those fleets we would refuse to compromise if asked to do the same again.

It's probably cost the owners more in maintenance than they actually saved over the properly spec'd design."

"I think some of it (fire / overheating issues on 175s and 180s) is to do with how tightly packed some of the equipment rafts are, there isn't much room for airflow in some areas. The heat wash over the alternator powering the auxiliaries is something like 60 degrees and the rating was difficult to achieve based on the engine rpm driving it."

"I have heard many people speak in hushed tones about the stretch 30 initiative, it certainly didn't stick round for long."

"from what I understand it (stretch 30) was a drive to reduce costs by 30% across the board."

Last edited by a moderator:

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Andy25 of Alstom said on 6/2/19:
..."They were built before I joined but I'm aware from those involved that the Coradia fleets suffered because they were built to cost. Customers gave a low budget target and the only way to achieve it was to make compromises that Alstom wouldn't have normally made. Things like the level of corrosion protection on steel sections and not having air dryers on some pneumatic systems etc.

I would imagine knowing how it has affected our reputation on those fleets we would refuse to compromise if asked to do the same again.

It's probably cost the owners more in maintenance than they actually saved over the properly spec'd design."

"I think some of it (fire / overheating issues on 175s and 180s) is to do with how tightly packed some of the equipment rafts are, there isn't much room for airflow in some areas. The heat wash over the alternator powering the auxiliaries is something like 60 degrees and the rating was difficult to achieve based on the engine rpm driving it."

"I have heard many people speak in hushed tones about the stretch 30 initiative, it certainly didn't stick round for long."

"from what I understand it (stretch 30) was a drive to reduce costs by 30% across the board."

Interesting. And if accurate, quite shocking. Interesting too to compare efforts to cut corners at the design stage with the "no compromise on safety" philosophy expressed in, say this thread
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/making-up-lost-time.178120/
on the dangers of taking liberties regarding on speed restrictions

Cardiff123

Established Member
I honestly hope that you are being sarcastic and are joking. Whilst legroom is good on the 175s, my experience of the seats is like sitting on a wooden bench. There's more padding in the GWR 800 seats.

ValleyLines142

Established Member
I honestly hope that you are being sarcastic and are joking. Whilst legroom is good on the 175s, my experience of the seats is like sitting on a wooden bench. There's more padding in the GWR 800 seats.

I'm genuinely not. I find them remarkably comfortable!

Status
Not open for further replies.