• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Operative (off track)

Status
Not open for further replies.

jackson2016

Hello all,
Could somebody be kind enough to provide a brief description of the job in the thread title, the job description on the web site is quite vague.
A rough idea of shift patterns would also be a great help.

Many thanks for your time!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sig01

If it's for Network Rail the off track department deal with fencing, vegetation & some general building works. They cover a fairly large area and are always busy.
Not sure on your location but where I'm based they work mostly nights, with a week of days every 2-3 weeks and an on call roster.
Good luck with your application.:)

kelv

Hello all,
Could somebody be kind enough to provide a brief description of the job in the thread title, the job description on the web site is quite vague.
A rough idea of shift patterns would also be a great help.

Many thanks for your time!

I also applied for 1 of these roles and have had an email saying I've passed the online tests and am being considered for the next stage which I think is interview.
I called the recruitment team to enquire about what you are asking and received the following .....

Brief Description

Out in all weathers, you’ll play a highly practical role in keeping Britain moving. Across a wide range of manual maintenance tasks, the efficiency and safety of the railway is in your hands.

About the role (External)

You’ll be on the frontline, working shifts to deliver a variety of manual maintenance tasks. Whether your focus is on track, signalling or electrification, you’ll keep our assets in perfect working order. Which means you’ll pay a key role in keeping commuters and freight safe, and making journeys smooth.

This is a hands-on role, working outdoors in all weathers. Carrying out general maintenance, your range of duties will include everything from shovelling ballast to carrying out lookout duties for your team. You’ll check all kinds of things, to ensure they are in great working order – from vehicles and plant to equipment, tools and materials. In everything you do, you’ll work safely and efficiently. If you’ve got what it takes, we’ll provide all the training, protective clothing and support you need to succeed.
Essential Criteria
· Experience of working in an environment where safety is vital

· Willing and able to work shifts, including days, nights and weekends

· A team player

· Conscientious, reliable and hard working

· Keen to develop new skills

· Good communication skills, both in person and in writing

· Meet the required benchmark for application screening questions

· Must meet required online testing benchmark

Desirable Criteria
· To hold or be working towards an NVQ 1 (or equivalent) in a relevant subject

· Willing and able to drive vehicles

This role involves days, nights and weekend working, and is a safety critical role so subject to drug and alcohol testing and passing of the relevant medical assessment.

it said the salary is Circa £22,500 per annum & the guy on the phone seemed to think that was excluding shift pay ? maybe someone can verify if this is the case or not ?
He also told me that after the test you'll either get a rejection or if you've met the benchmark (which he said was about 35%) then you'd go under consideration for interview, said they dont really take the 'top scorers' but look at the applicants for the most suitable for the interviews.

If that has shift pay on top it isn't a bad salary tbh for an operative role and as it is at £22,500 it's higher than some skilled engineering jobs outside the rail industry.

I've found NR's recruitment team to be open to any questions and happy to look into test scores etc for me.

Last edited:

TomBoyd

If that has shift pay on top it isn't a bad salary tbh for an operative role and as it is at £22,500 it's higher than some skilled engineering jobs outside the rail industry.

That figure won't include shift premiums. Nor sundays.

kelv

That figure won't include shift premiums. Nor sundays.

in which case it must bump up to quite a decent wage then, in fact as I mentioned it'll outdo the majority of skilled engineering jobs (turning, milling etc) on continental shifts, and 22.5k as the rate before knocks those jobs out of sight on days.
I've a few irons in the fire with network rail & northern at the moment and i'd be happy with any of them tbh.

jackson2016

I also applied for 1 of these roles and have had an email saying I've passed the online tests and am being considered for the next stage which I think is interview.
I called the recruitment team to enquire about what you are asking and received the following .....

Brief Description

Out in all weathers, you’ll play a highly practical role in keeping Britain moving. Across a wide range of manual maintenance tasks, the efficiency and safety of the railway is in your hands.

About the role (External)

You’ll be on the frontline, working shifts to deliver a variety of manual maintenance tasks. Whether your focus is on track, signalling or electrification, you’ll keep our assets in perfect working order. Which means you’ll pay a key role in keeping commuters and freight safe, and making journeys smooth.

This is a hands-on role, working outdoors in all weathers. Carrying out general maintenance, your range of duties will include everything from shovelling ballast to carrying out lookout duties for your team. You’ll check all kinds of things, to ensure they are in great working order – from vehicles and plant to equipment, tools and materials. In everything you do, you’ll work safely and efficiently. If you’ve got what it takes, we’ll provide all the training, protective clothing and support you need to succeed.
Essential Criteria
· Experience of working in an environment where safety is vital

· Willing and able to work shifts, including days, nights and weekends

· A team player

· Conscientious, reliable and hard working

· Keen to develop new skills

· Good communication skills, both in person and in writing

· Meet the required benchmark for application screening questions

· Must meet required online testing benchmark

Desirable Criteria
· To hold or be working towards an NVQ 1 (or equivalent) in a relevant subject

· Willing and able to drive vehicles

This role involves days, nights and weekend working, and is a safety critical role so subject to drug and alcohol testing and passing of the relevant medical assessment.

it said the salary is Circa £22,500 per annum & the guy on the phone seemed to think that was excluding shift pay ? maybe someone can verify if this is the case or not ?
He also told me that after the test you'll either get a rejection or if you've met the benchmark (which he said was about 35%) then you'd go under consideration for interview, said they dont really take the 'top scorers' but look at the applicants for the most suitable for the interviews.

I've found NR's recruitment team to be open to any questions and happy to look into test scores etc for me.

Thanks for the info, I've got some online tests to do, what sort of subjects do they involve?

kelv

Thanks for the info, I've got some online tests to do, what sort of subjects do they involve?

1 is where there are 2 statements that you have to say which is most like you or neither.
the other is a numerical one where there are 2 columns and you have to say which ones the number is different in each side of the row, like a long code where 1 number in the code may be different or theyre the same.
I think it was the ones that were different that you tick off. There were about 40 pages but I think i only got to about 32.
I was told the passmark is quite low, like about 35%.

Nowhere near as hard as the tests for conductor & driver etc

jackson2016

Just done the online tests but the second one sounds different to the one you did.
I had to read a statement along with some rules and answer questions. There were 40 questions but I only managed to answer about 35 of them..........I'll just have to wait and see now!
The salary in the job advertisement says £26,878 so not sure if it's the exact same job.
Thanks for the info......very helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.