• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Operative role applications- Network Rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

JT92

Hi, I'm new to the forum.

I've been applying for operative roles with Network Rail for almost a year now and each time I end up reaching 'under consideration for assessment 2' followed with a rejection email.
I've worked, albeit for a short time, in geotechnical engineering and since last November I've been working as a member of the permanent way team on a heritage railway, taking every opportunity to use the various equipment and assist with the building of new points, laying track, packing ballast etc.

All of my experience so far and the aspect of safety critical work has been worked into my cv and cover letter. The roles are generally for track maintenance and I understand that heritage railway work may not necessarily make me stand out from the crowd.

Is this purely just the sheer number of applicants, my test results being good enough but not in the top percentile or something else? I'd very much like to reach the interview stage but after many rejections my efforts are feeling rather futile.

Any information would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bigdriver

I've been applying for operative roles with Network Rail for almost a year now and each time I end up reaching 'under consideration for assessment 2' followed with a rejection email.
I've worked, albeit for a short time, in geotechnical engineering and since last November I've been working as a member of the permanent way team on a heritage railway, taking every opportunity to use the various equipment and assist with the building of new points, laying track, packing ballast etc.

All of my experience so far and the aspect of safety critical work has been worked into my cv and cover letter. The roles are generally for track maintenance and I understand that heritage railway work may not necessarily make me stand out from the crowd.

Is this purely just the sheer number of applicants, my test results being good enough but not in the top percentile or something else? I'd very much like to reach the interview stage but after many rejections my efforts are feeling rather futile.

Try get your Pts and get in with a agency on network rail infrastructure ! Even if it’s only Saturday nights I done that with qts and the doors open

JT92

Try get your Pts and get in with a agency on network rail infrastructure ! Even if it’s only Saturday nights I done that with qts and the doors open
Thanks. I've looked at QTS and have considered that route. The cost of courses has made me reluctant in the past but I may have to just bite the bullet. One point I didn't mention in my post is my education background. Would having a degree help or hinder my chances being taken on as an operative?

Bucephalus

One point I didn't mention in my post is my education background. Would having a degree help or hinder my chances being taken on as an operative?

Unless it's a degree in engineering I doubt it would make any difference. If the degree is recent enough (<5 yrs) it might help with examples for answering competency questions.

On a side note, if anybody kindly would like to write up a guide to becoming a trackworker I'd be very appreciative, not that that's an incentive!

Woody27

Hi, if you have multiple applications on your dashboard, will the hiring managers be able to see that you have? And will it affect there decision on putting you through to interview stage?

BloominMan

Hope it all works out.

When I tried for NWR, I was already PTS'd with over 10 years railway experience. I could not for the life of me get an interview after passing all assessments etc. Nobody could tell me why when I enquired.

Though perseverance is key.

Woody27

Hope it all works out.

When I tried for NWR, I was already PTS'd with over 10 years railway experience. I could not for the life of me get an interview after passing all assessments etc. Nobody could tell me why when I enquired.

Though perseverance is key.
That is not the sort of thing I want to hear! I know it’s hard to get a foot in, but you make it sound completely impossible.

Sam11

I feel your pain i have been applying for almost a year now and coming from the building trade I would have thought that would have been an alright fit. I think aswell atm because of the current situation there will be even more applicants because people who lose their job will be looking for something they can walk straight into as far as applying goes . . .
I haven't had an interview yet for any operative roles which is disappointing because my application always gets to the hiring manager but like everyone says on here just keep looking and keep applying and sooner or later an interview will hopefully come up

MT18

Hi, if you have multiple applications on your dashboard, will the hiring managers be able to see that you have? And will it affect there decision on putting you through to interview stage?

Alright Woody, I had a couple of applications in when I was successful in the process. I suppose they could see it either way, first that you are very keen to join the organisation or secondly that you don’t know what role you want and you come across in decisive. I doubt that’s the position they’ll take but it’s a possibility. Wishing you luck.

Woody27

Alright Woody, I had a couple of applications in when I was successful in the process. I suppose they could see it either way, first that you are very keen to join the organisation or secondly that you don’t know what role you want and you come across in decisive. I doubt that’s the position they’ll take but it’s a possibility. Wishing you luck.
Thanks for your insight mate, I’m down in Devon, so opportunities are rare, I feel I need to apply for what ever comes up! Fingers crossed it’s seen as keen rather than desperate

BloominMan

That is not the sort of thing I want to hear! I know it’s hard to get a foot in, but you make it sound completely impossible.

Sorry mate not my intention. Loads of people do get in eventually. Best of luck anyway.

I kept getting the same Manager marking my application and refusing me an interview for no apparent reason for all different roles I was qualified for. Maybe he just didn't fancy taking me on or had it earmarked for somebody else.

Or maybe they thought I might bring along with me 'bad habits' as opposed to moulding somebody new.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

Considering the firm is / has been actively seeking heritage signallers to man signal boxes it’s a little poor to dismiss your heritage railway experience on the PWay.

MT18

Thanks for your insight mate, I’m down in Devon, so opportunities are rare, I feel I need to apply for what ever comes up! Fingers crossed it’s seen as keen rather than desperate

I was the same mate, just really wanted to get ‘in’ and would do any role. I had four previous applications fail to reach the interview stage. Then I applied for two roles and got an interview which I fortunately done well enough to be offered a job. Also during my interview they stated that the interview was for both positions and they would put me where I was required/ more suitable. If you have any questions etc feel free to ask me.

Woody27

I feel your pain i have been applying for almost a year now and coming from the building trade I would have thought that would have been an alright fit. I think aswell atm because of the current situation there will be even more applicants because people who lose their job will be looking for something they can walk straight into as far as applying goes . . .
I haven't had an interview yet for any operative roles which is disappointing because my application always gets to the hiring manager but like everyone says on here just keep looking and keep applying and sooner or later an interview will hopefully come up
Hi Sam, I’m also coming from a construction background, passing all the tests, and getting on to the hiring managers desk! But understand that there are probably better qualified people applying, I’ll just keep plugging away. Good luck with your own job hunt.

LOM

Considering the firm is / has been actively seeking heritage signallers to man signal boxes it’s a little poor to dismiss your heritage railway experience on the PWay.

Not any more and HQ were quick to clarify to the Regions that they were not supposed to in the first place.

Verve

I’m in the exact same boat mate. I’ve had at least 10 applications knocked back this year. My mate works for NWR and he said the amount of people that are applying is around 400 for the ones at his depot. I’ve worked in construction and the military and thought that would give me good skills to fit the role. It’s only fair that the agency operatives get a look in for the jobs tho because they have been grafting and waiting for a opportunity. Like many say on this forum and I believe in it myself just keep going with your head down and persevere with the applications.
Today I’ve got a talk with a firm in Leeds online talking about a course where I can get my pts small tools and other relevant qualifications which can help towards working as a operative hopefully.

I know your frustration buddy but we will get there tho.
Take it easy pal.

Thomas keeble

I've also been unsuccessful 8 times, I do have an application in right now with Network rail and it's at the "under consideration for assessment 2" stage, has been since March 26th. Just keep applying and try not to get disheartened with the kockbacks.
Anyone know how long I could be waiting for my application status to change?.

MT18

I've also been unsuccessful 8 times, I do have an application in right now with Network rail and it's at the "under consideration for assessment 2" stage, has been since March 26th. Just keep applying and try not to get disheartened with the kockbacks.
Anyone know how long I could be waiting for my application status to change?.

Alrighty, could be waiting until guidelines change with the covid-19 situation, as consideration for assessment 2 means a potential interview. At my department all interviews for each grade have been postponed until further notice.

Just try to hang tight, I know it’s not ideal but hopefully you get some good news soon.

Thomas keeble

Alrighty, could be waiting until guidelines change with the covid-19 situation, as consideration for assessment 2 means a potential interview. At my department all interviews for each grade have been postponed until further notice.

Just try to hang tight, I know it’s not ideal but hopefully you get some good news soon.
Thanks for the info it's much appreciated. I'm in south Wales so we're on lockdown for a little longer. Fingers crossed I get an interview and it goes well.

Shep19

Alright people I’ve been applying for operative roles for years, finally got my first interview in a couple of weeks, signal maintenance, my interview is going to be a video call due to circumstances at the moment. Wish you all luck

Thomas keeble

Alright people I’ve been applying for operative roles for years, finally got my first interview in a couple of weeks, signal maintenance, my interview is going to be a video call due to circumstances at the moment. Wish you all luck
Good luck mate, hope u smash it, let us know how it goes.

Chrisy89

No joke I had applied for over 20
Positions with always getting to hiring manager , then got the same
More suitable cantidate etc , I have now managed to get an interview and got the job as operative , So I’d say stick at it , they either like how Persistant u are , or get fed up and just take u lol

Shep19

I’ve had the same applied over 20 times, finally had my interview a few days ago, just got to wait again now.

TheOne1990

Anyone heard anything regarding recruitment moving along, my application has been sat at Test Complete since April 15th, not heard anything else at all.

Thomas keeble

I've have one at the same stage had been since February. I did get the old 'unsuccessful' on another job I applied for with them. I waited 3 months for them to tell me I didnt get an interview . Keep plugin away and hopeful get good news in the future. Good luck maybe

TheOne1990

February....wow that’s a long time lol, I’ll stay hopeful I get an interview, even if didn’t land it after that it would be good practice either way.

Thomas keeble

Network rail are notoriously slow when hiring, sure, it's all good practice and experience. Stay positive and keep applying and eventually you'll get a break.

Shep19

I agree my interview was a week ago I’m not expecting to hear from them anytime soon, hope everyone gets an update soon though!

Status
Not open for further replies.