• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Opinions. Worst British sitcom.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Obviously you weren't around in the days of On the Buses and Love Thy Neighbour.

This forum needs a like button...

Personally, I'd vote for either of the above, of more recent things none of Mrs Brown's Boys, My Family, or The Inbetweeners have caused even a wry grin to appear on my face.

Spamcan81

As with all art, humour is subjective but if we have to make nominations, Keeping Up Appearances and Mrs. Brown's Boys will be near the top of my "worst" list.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Personally, I would say "The Brittas Empire" currently showing on GOLD
Maybe it appealed to a younger audience? It was quite popular at the time and I liked it. The wife of one of the actors was our headteacher and we got to meet some of the actors/actresses as a result.

Mrs Brown's Boys is surely one of the worst ever.
I watched a bit of it once as a misbehaving teenager said she modelled her behaviour on Mrs Brown's Boys. I didn't need to see much....

GatwickDepress

Established Member
I didn't really like On the Buses - being a woman I don't think the jokes were really aimed at me though. Blakey was its saving grace.

Harry & Paul gave the show an affectionate send up.

[youtube]1Q1uHcGTK8k[/youtube]

IanD

Established Member
Personally, I would say "The Brittas Empire" currently showing on GOLD

On The Buses and Love Thy Neighbour were "of their time" and probably funny at the less enlightened time.

Too many awful sitcoms from ITV in the 70s/80s to mention them all. Most never got past 1 series but two that for some reason managed to were Pig in The Middle and Duty Free.

Have to agree about The Brittas Empire. Dreadful.

Surprisingly, I've just been watching a box set of Blackadder and can't believe how unfunny a lot of it was. Probably the "Monty Python" effect - at the time of broadcast, you had to claim to think it brilliant or become an outcast. Hindisght is wonderful

Gutfright

These may not be the very worst, as I've avoided watching the likes of Mrs Brown's Boys and Citizen Khan, but the ones I've seen which have done absolutely nothing for me are

Gimme Gimme Gimme
My Family
Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps
My Hero

DaleCooper

Established Member
Surprisingly, I've just been watching a box set of Blackadder and can't believe how unfunny a lot of it was. Probably the "Monty Python" effect - at the time of broadcast, you had to claim to think it brilliant or become an outcast. Hindisght is wonderful

I recently bought the first series of M*A*S*H and found that hadn't aged very well either.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Miranda is vastly overrated.

I find Miranda very funny, one man's meat ... etc.

phoenixcronin

Miranda.

All the jokes are s***, and they try to compensate by making every other line about sex in order to score some cheap laughs, but even that fails miserably. Honestly one of (if not the) worst shows I have ever seen.

Gutfright

I'll probably be exiled from Britain forever for saying this, but Only Fools and Horses is hella over-rated too.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
So many excellent programmes being dissed (do the kids still say that ?) on this thread.

"The Brittas Empire" was a little gem of its time - I haven't seen it for twenty years so may give it another spin.

"On The Buses" - some of the humour hasn't aged well, but equally it had moments of brilliance. I'm sure the way that all of those clippies seemed to swoon for Jack and Stan gave many blokes hope !

"Miranda"'s a modern classic.

"Keeping up Appearances" is an exquisite pastiche of lower middle class pretension - hilarious to boot.

"Only Fools and Horses". I've probably seen it too many times, but I found it hilarious for many years. I still ask people to pass me the "Peckham Spring" when at conferences.

I saw "Sorry" again recently and enjoyed it, plus it's forever given us the catchphrase "language Timothy".

"Allo Allo", wonderful farce - still knocks all modern Saturday night so-called 'entertainment' into a cocked hat

Loved "My Family" at the time and still enjoy the repeats.

Infact, why are we holding the sitcom to such adverse scrutiny when there seem to be so many genres that are far more worthy of opprobrium.

For a start all, soap opera's, and unlike sitcoms they go on and on forever.

That annoying cake show, as well as that annoying dance show as well.

Gardening programmes, cookery programmes.

That storage hunters rubbish - what's that all about ?

There are far too few sitcoms these days IMO.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That's a soap opera and they're all overrated and a total waste of time, in my opinion.:lol:

Hear, hear.

Gutfright

Oh oh oh! I've just thought of another contender for worst sitcom - Derek.

I loved The Office, Extras and even Life's Too Short, but Derek was far too mawkish for my tastes.

Status
Not open for further replies.