• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Orange roof line

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bastiaan

Something I noticed when I was watching some photos: Nearly all Brittish trains have an orange roof line. Now I wonder for the use of this line. Is it reflecting in the dark or something, for better visibility?

Bastiaan

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

David

Established Member
I think (I'm not totally sure) it's something to do with the maximum safe working height under OHLE.

16CSVT2700

Established Member
Indeed that is the cantrail stripe's purpose.

444/450 Desiros do not have them as I am led to believe they do not stray from the Southern region and are not maintained at places away from the 3rd rail region (unlike 442s & Ilford or whatever).

T

Tom

That doesn't make sense as they were delivered via Wembley.

The Gricer

I seem to remember this coming up a few months ago.

The full Group Regulations document entitled "Overhead Line Equipment (OLE) Warning Line on Traction and Rolling Stock" can be found here (although note the actual URIs on this site have a habit of changing frequently). This document will tell you all about what the orange lines are for and what stock is required to carry them.

To sum it up the only stock that aren't required to carry the orange cantrail warning are:-
• vehicles with route acceptance limited to lines NOT electrified on the overhead system (for example classes 450, 444)
• steam locomotives

Frank

Daniel

Established Member
Just noticed whilst looking at pic's of 444's, 450's, and 442's....

They have an orange stripe towards the bottom of the doors...

Is this a safe working level for a ground level power source in the same way as it is for OHLE?

Or is it just a paint job? :lol:

AlexS

Established Member
Just the paint job I assume - 3rd rail DC current does not usually 'leap' in the way that AC current does, so you don't tend to get shocked unless you stand on the rail.

Status
Not open for further replies.