• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Orange Station seats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mack303

Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows any information on this seat that was common in certain Scottish stations in the 80’s (I don’t know if they arrived before the 80’s or if they were common across the uk).

this screen shot is from the Scars music video in 1981.

Attachments

• CC1575A8-25E8-4D75-92D9-D3ED0E556826.jpeg
    CC1575A8-25E8-4D75-92D9-D3ED0E556826.jpeg
    101.5 KB · Views: 31
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Whisky Papa

:D Whoa! That is one of my favourite tracks of all time, but as I've got the album, I've never bothered to search for it on YouTube and had not seen that before. Thanks!

As for the seats, they do seem very evocative of a rover trip around Scotland I did a year or two later than that, but I'm afraid I can't recall exactly where I encountered them.

Djgr

Established Member
Hi, I was wondering if anyone knows any information on this seat that was common in certain Scottish stations in the 80’s (I don’t know if they arrived before the 80’s or if they were common across the uk).

At a guess that is Edinburgh Waverley

Orange was very 70s!!
Never heard the track before but it's a grower, makes me think of a few other bands of the time like Adam and The Ants, Blondie and Martha and The Muffins etc
One thing I did notice was the same or very similar concourse floor tiles as Euston!

tbtc

Veteran Member
SO many things from the past in how The Waverley used to be... the orange chairs, the John Menzies, the taxi fumes, several bins (!), the phones that you had to stick your head into the "goldfish bowl" too - amazing!

I must have spent a lot of my life sat on the orange chairs watching the old destination boards flipping over visible in the background at 0:48 (quite something when it was a Cross Country service, that meant scrolling through dozens of exotic sounding English destinations - presumably the "obvious" Scottish stations were bunched together at the top of the list) - I think Queen Street/ Dundee had them, presumably Glasgow Central too but can't be certain - annoying to try to sit in a group (since the shape meant that you were facing away from each other), wipe free, deters anti-social behaviour (e.g. no drunk is going to be able to sleep on one)

alistairlees

Established Member
SO many things from the past in how The Waverley used to be... the orange chairs, the John Menzies, the taxi fumes, several bins (!), the phones that you had to stick your head into the "goldfish bowl" too - amazing!

I must have spent a lot of my life sat on the orange chairs watching the old destination boards flipping over visible in the background at 0:48 (quite something when it was a Cross Country service, that meant scrolling through dozens of exotic sounding English destinations - presumably the "obvious" Scottish stations were bunched together at the top of the list) - I think Queen Street/ Dundee had them, presumably Glasgow Central too but can't be certain - annoying to try to sit in a group (since the shape meant that you were facing away from each other), wipe free, deters anti-social behaviour (e.g. no drunk is going to be able to sleep on one)
I seem to recall that they were quite uncomfortable too and that you tended to slide out of them...

Scotrail84

Established Member

Filmed at Edinburgh Waverley, Arthurs seat/ Salisbury crags in Holyrood park, Leith docks and Calton hill.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Did they also come in yellow? I have some memory of them in airports too - probably Gatwick, but not sure.

Taunton

Established Member
They were a standard catalogue item by a supplier, also saw them in shopping centres. Various colours; I recall bright green as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.