• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ordsall Chord

Status
Not open for further replies.

superkev

Established Member
Presumably the late night Transpennines routed along the Calder Valley and currently reversing at Salford will be able to use the new chord.
K

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Passing the chord today, there were Network Rail STOP boards clipped to the rails either side of the Irwell bridge, so evidently not in service yet.
There was some construction work still going on in the vicinity of the chord (eg fencing, clearing the old Liverpool Rd viaduct area etc).

snowball

Established Member
MEN piece on the completion of the Chord, with video clips:

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...ws/took-look-ordsall-chord-carry-13866640.amp

The M.E.N was given an exclusive trains-eye view of the £85m project. Aimed at slashing railway congestion and allowing for faster trains and more frequent services, it will make way for future east-west links.

It’s an historic moment, not only for the Network Rail team behind two years of graft on a true feat of engineering, but for Manchester and the future of rail travel.

At its heart of architect Peter Jenkin’s design is the 90m Network Arch bridge.

snowball

Established Member
Press release with video

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/feeds/old-gives-birth-to-the-new-as-iconic-railway-bridge-completes/

• Iconic new bridge connects Manchester’s three main stations for the first time
  • Old gives birth to the new at the birthplace of modern intercity railways
  • Rail Minister completes Great North Rail Project showpiece

Manchester’s three main railway stations were today connected for the first time by the Ordsall Chord bridge – the historic centrepiece of the Great North Rail Project.

Ordsall, the world’s first asymmetric rail bridge, will benefit customers across the north of England, including with speedy direct services to Manchester Airport from as far afield as Newcastle.

The location of the iconic new bridge is hallowed railway turf – birthplace of modern intercity railways, where in 1830 George Stephenson unveiled the Liverpool–Manchester railway.

Rail Minister Paul Maynard installed the final rail clip onto the vital new Ordsall Chord, ceremoniously marking completion of the Network Rail scheme.

"The world's first asymmetric rail bridge" is surely false.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It would be nice to see a train moving over the chord...
Better still an electric one.
I expect the event marks the point that the contractors get paid.

SansHache

The IMechE Railway Division and the Permanent Way Institution are jointly hosting a Technical Lecture on the Ordsall Chord scheme at Manchester Metropolitan University at 6:30pm on Tuesday 14th November.
The lecture will be presented by Mr. Graham Gornall - Project Manager - Northern Hub Alliance.
Venue :- Lecture Theatre T.003, John Dalton Building, Manchester Metropolitan University, M1 5GD (entrance from Chester Street)
Members and non-members are welcome to attend and light refreshments are provided at 18:00.
As a regular attendee at the IMechE lectures I would recommend this event to all those who are interested in this project.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
"The world's first asymmetric rail bridge" is surely false.

I think you can take many of these NR PR statements with a pinch of salt. TfL's PR are equally blinkered. They all need to get out more, and see what the Victorians already did...

What does asymmetric actually mean in this context anyway? Sides not parallel?

snowball

Established Member
What does asymmetric actually mean in this context anyway? Sides not parallel?
I think it means that the main arched beams get thinner from one end to the other, viewed from the side. It may well be the first arched bridge that's asymmetric in that specific sense.

Last edited:

furnessvale

Established Member
I think it means that the main arched beams get thinner from one end to the other, viewed from the side. It may well be the first arched bridge that's asymmetric in that specific sense.
As done years ago by a minor road over the M6 near Scorton (Lancs), winning the designer an award.

Now much copied in other locations.

LeylandLen

I can see the Chord on Google maps over the Irwell but nothing yet on the satellite picture . How soon before we get to see the overhead pic ?

I presume the chord is for passenger and freight trains , not that I think many freight trains would need it to go to/from Trafford Park ?

snowball

Established Member
I can see the Chord on Google maps over the Irwell but nothing yet on the satellite picture . How soon before we get to see the overhead pic ?
It's a matter of luck. As currently discussed in another thread (I forget which one), Google can take a substantial number of years to re-photograph a place.

I presume the chord is for passenger and freight trains , not that I think many freight trains would need it to go to/from Trafford Park ?
Wouldn't any freight train using it to get to/from Trafford Park need to reverse? (Or go an extremely long way round.)

Ianno87

Veteran Member

There's no way of Trafford Park freight getting to it.

Most likely (albeit still very unlikely) freight might be as a diversionary route at odd times of day for freight booked via Denton bound for the Calder Valley or Hope Valley.

LeylandLen

Will there be an Official opening ? VIPS and usual politicians up from Westminster ? A suitable Pendelino breaking the tape? Maybe a Brand new class 800 ? We all know that Virgin trains likes a bit of publicity !
It could be good for Manchester, bringing in shoppers after the recent tragedy at the Arena ?

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
Will there be an Official opening ? VIPS and usual politicians up from Westminster ? A suitable Pendelino breaking the tape? Maybe a Brand new class 800 ? We all know that Virgin trains likes a bit of publicity !
It could be good for Manchester, bringing in shoppers after the recent tragedy at the Arena ?

Bank on it - Failing Grayling would be my bet

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
It's not really Virgin's show, as they won't be using it on a regular basis, if at all.
It's a TPE/Northern thing really, so maybe a Pacer would be the iconic tape-cutter. ;)
The initial services are bound to feature all the current fleet.
A 185 is about the poshest train they have at the moment.
Maybe the Manchester Museum of Science and Industry will furnish something from 1830, fronted by someone dressed up as George Stephenson.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
So it really is going to be every bit as tedious a crawl around central Manchester as one feared — 6 minutes for just under 2 miles.

Average of 20mph on predominantly 25mph railway. I'd say that wasn't bad at all.

Altfish

Hasn't it already happened?
Wasn't Andy Burnham and the Salford Mayor there about a week ago formally welcoming the completion of the construction works. All the press were there too.

http://www.manchestereveningnews.co...r-news/took-look-ordsall-chord-carry-13866640

Chester1

Established Member
Average of 20mph on predominantly 25mph railway. I'd say that wasn't bad at all.

There are three junctions within a short distance and one of them (Castlefield) has a speed limit of 25mph. I am not sure what people expected! TPE Yorkshire to Airport services will reach Victoria faster than current time to Piccadilly, serve Oxford Road, arrive in Piccadilly later than previously but arrive at the Airport earlier. Its better for connections and crucially allows Piccadilly to support 4tph extra. There is plenty more that needs doing but its a relatively cheap and useful addition to Manchesters public transport system, I wish people would stop complaining.

The Planner

Veteran Member
So it really is going to be every bit as tedious a crawl around central Manchester as one feared — 6 minutes for just under 2 miles.

5 as that has a minutes pathing in it, so 24mph including stopping and starting, how much quicker do you expect it to be?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Wasn't the aim to get the whole Castlefield corridor and junctions up to a consistent 30mph?
Not much, but it would cut journey times by a measurable amount (to be frittered away at station stops).
Somebody will probably say that was after the platform changes at Piccadilly and Oxford Road. Oh wait...

Status
Not open for further replies.