• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ordsall Chord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrisyd

I watched a train going along the Ordsall Curve track behind Salford Central this lunchtime and was surprised to see the train stop at the Saford end of the chord at a red signal. Clearly there was nothing on the bridge.

A train then went along the tracks on the far end of the chord and shortly after that the train was allowed to proceed.

I assume this means this is the signal which controls not only when a train can enter the chord but also allows it onto the tracks in Castlefield

Why is it positioned here and not at the the end next to the Junction so that the train could have been entering the other tracks as soon as the signal cleared?

Or have I missed something obvious?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

louis97

Established Member
I watched a train going along the Ordsall Curve track behind Salford Central this lunchtime and was surprised to see the train stop at the Saford end of the chord at a red signal. Clearly there was nothing on the bridge.

A train then went along the tracks on the far end of the chord and shortly after that the train was allowed to proceed.

I assume this means this is the signal which controls not only when a train can enter the chord but also allows it onto the tracks in Castlefield

Why is it positioned here and not at the the end next to the Junction so that the train could have been entering the other tracks as soon as the signal cleared?

Or have I missed something obvious?

If it was positioned right at the Deansgate end of the Chord the overlap for that signal would fall onto the Up Bolton line. This would mean that a train would either not be able to enter the Chord or, if a reduced overlap was provided, be approach controlled onto it should a train be going ahead of it at Water Street Junction (Deansgate end of the Chord). As such this signal shares a gantry with the signals protect Irwell Street Junction (Victoria end of the Chord) for trains coming from the Deansgate direction. In order for the full overlap not to foul the Up Bolton line the signal could only move around 125-150 metres closer to Water Street Junction, and there could be, and most likely are, many different reasons why that could not happen.

martinr1

I am sorry if this has been answered before but could someone list what scheduled trains are using the chord now?

Chester1

Established Member
I am sorry if this has been answered before but could someone list what scheduled trains are using the chord now?

The Northern Leeds-Bradford-Manchester service extends to Oxford Road 6 times per day. All of the services are between the peaks. In May the service will run hourly to the airport along with TPE Airport to Newcastle and Middlesbrough. The current 6tpd service is largely just to officially open the chord before the big timetable recast enables 3tph to run in May.

Bovverboy

Established Member
The current 6tpd service is largely just to officially open the chord before the big timetable recast enables 3tph to run in May.

In other words, priority has been given to completing the Chord, in order for it to remain little-used until May, over completing electrification of Manchester-Preston, which could presumably be used by electrics the moment it is ready.

Veteran Member
In other words, priority has been given to completing the Chord, in order for it to remain little-used until May, over completing electrification of Manchester-Preston, which could presumably be used by electrics the moment it is ready.

Unfortunately, the permanent way people aren't much good at overhead wiring :)
More seriously, getting the wires up round the Chord before it opens to traffic makes sense.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

In other words I'm having a house extension built at the moment. Can't get a plumber until Tuesday, so thought I'd see if the electrician can have a go at the pipes instead...

snowball

Established Member

Completing the Chord was probably a contractual requirement with penalties for the contractors for not meeting the deadline. Electrification of existing lines will have been a separate contract or contracts with probably different contractors.

Chester1

Established Member
In other words I'm having a house extension built at the moment. Can't get a plumber until Tuesday, so thought I'd see if the electrician can have a go at the pipes instead...

Better than the other way around o_O

Elecman

Established Member
Anyone can install pipes for gas but the installation has to be inspected, tested and signed off by a Gas Safe registered Plumber before the supply can be switched on

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Any prospect of freight using the Chord?
Highly unlikely except perhaps as a diversionary route. The only freight that goes through Piccadilly and Oxford Road is to/from then terminals at Trafford and with the number of passenger trains using that corridor it's unlikely any other freight would be welcomed. There are alternative routes for freights passing through the Manchester area.

YorkshireBear

Established Member

Different contract and people so in a word. No.

Altfish

So, I presume you're saying, there was nothing wrong with the timescale for Manchester-Preston electrification, but the contractors were no good.
I think it was a combination of that plus... the tunnel collapsed due to a water main (?), the ground was not what we thought, poor management on both sides(?), and maybe unachievable expectations.

YorkshireBear

Established Member
So, I presume you're saying, there was nothing wrong with the timescale for Manchester-Preston electrification, but the contractors were no good.

You presume wrong.

You suggested that priority had been given to the Ordsall Chord over NWEP Phase 4. I was simply pointing out that was not the case.

As it was completely separate projects and contractors no resources swapped between projects. The Chord was completed a year late and was intended to be complete at same time as electrification if not after. The electrification being late has nothing to do with the chord.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The chord project in fact remodelled the Ordsall Lane and Salford Central areas, and wired the start of the Bolton route towards Salford Crescent.
Apart from technical problems, the Manchester-Euxton electrification work suffered from its prime contractor, and quite possibly NR, giving priority to the GW/Crossrail project.

A first run over the chord today, southbound from Victoria to Oxford Road, was not spectacular.
Two minutes late from Victoria because of a crew change, followed by a 5-minute stop at the north end of the chord to let the late-running Preston-Airport past.
Not critical, but entirely typical of South Junction operation.
For what it's worth, 90% of passengers left at Victoria with a handful joining.

Last edited:

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
You presume wrong.

You suggested that priority had been given to the Ordsall Chord over NWEP Phase 4. I was simply pointing out that was not the case.

As it was completely separate projects and contractors no resources swapped between projects. The Chord was completed a year late and was intended to be complete at same time as electrification if not after. The electrification being late has nothing to do with the chord.

Different principal contractors - BAM Skanska JV (with designers Aecom and Mott MacDonald) on the Chord; I'm not sure who is PC on Phase 4 (It has been BAM and Balfour Beatty), could be Carillion, certainly the principal designer is effectively NR themselves, but both jobs have a cast of thousands.

In any case, the Chord was planned to be complete in 2016 wasn't it, same time as P4 at Manchester Airport?

WatcherZero

Established Member
Planned initially for 2016 but planning permission applied for in 2013 took two years to secure, when construction was approved in March 2015 the estimated completion date was late 2017, groundworks began in late 2015 and in full construction jan 2016.

Cletus

Established Member
Review (on the Anonymous Widower blog (probably too long to copy and paste)
https://anonw.com/2017/12/12/a-double-crossing-of-the-ordsall-chord/

I caught the first morning train from Manchester Victoria station across the Ordsall Chord to Manchester Oxford station...

It was only the second weekday of this Ordsall Chord service, but what surprised me was that quite a few of the early travellers went to the extra two added stations on the service....

...Now that the difficult phase is complete, it will be interesting to see how the swervices build up.

Last edited by a moderator:

snowball

Established Member
Tony H1 (alias Geeves) has posted thus on SSC:
Not sure if anyone much cares, I told the driver and he wasn't bothered (probably thought I was sad), but I believe today the chord saw its first electrically powered train from Oxford Rd to Vic and back again due to a signal failure at Lime St. History is made albeit quietly.

Howardh

Established Member
The chord project in fact remodelled the Ordsall Lane and Salford Central areas, and wired the start of the Bolton route towards Salford Crescent.
Apart from technical problems, the Manchester-Euxton electrification work suffered from its prime contractor, and quite possibly NR, giving priority to the GW/Crossrail project.

A first run over the chord today, southbound from Victoria to Oxford Road, was not spectacular.
Two minutes late from Victoria because of a crew change, followed by a 5-minute stop at the north end of the chord to let the late-running Preston-Airport past.
Not critical, but entirely typical of South Junction operation.
For what it's worth, 90% of passengers left at Victoria with a handful joining.
AFAIK the first one terminated at Oxford Road (anyone??), so other than enthusiasts, how many would want to end up at Oxford Road going through Vic, where they could probably change onto the metro and finish closer to their destination?

Chester1

Established Member
AFAIK the first one terminated at Oxford Road (anyone??), so other than enthusiasts, how many would want to end up at Oxford Road going through Vic, where they could probably change onto the metro and finish closer to their destination?

If their final destination is in the city centre then Oxford Road would be nearer for many people. Victoria is certainly better for Metrolink connections though. The Oxford Road service is just to have some services using the chord prior to May, when people can go to Piccadilly and the Airport too then the extensions will be better used.

Class 170101

Established Member
I see TPE services are still booked to reverse at Salford Crescent though. When are TPE going to learn the chord?

Chester1

Established Member
I see TPE services are still booked to reverse at Salford Crescent though. When are TPE going to learn the chord?

I can't imagine it will take long considering its barely over 300m and TPE drivers use the tracks at either end. Presumably the late night service will be diverted shortly before the May timetable change at very short notice.

Status
Not open for further replies.