• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ordsall Chord

Status
Not open for further replies.

Geeves

Established Member
The Northern drivers learned the chord with the aid of a route learning (computer generated) DVD and a guide. Pretty sure it was a case of watch it, sign for the paper work, answer the questions and your name is in the books.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Old Yard Dog

Established Member
AFAIK the first one terminated at Oxford Road (anyone??), so other than enthusiasts, how many would want to end up at Oxford Road going through Vic, where they could probably change onto the metro and finish closer to their destination?

Anybody travelling from Bradford, Halifax or Rochdale to Manchester Airport, Chester, Stockport, Crewe, etc (or to get to Piccadilly for Birmingham, Cardiff, London, ...)

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Yeah services from Newcastle were running through to MIA via Calder valley and the chord. The line block at Ashton was extended to Standedge for the weekend

YorkshireBear

Established Member
I took the 04:46 off Leeds to MIA on Saturday and rode over the chord for the first time, very impressive. But god even at 6:25 it was slow along castlefield!

Chrisyd

Walked round the site yesterday, there is now a car park back on the site next to the V&A hotel, the new footbridge and approaches are still being worked on and so not open to the public.

by Chris Davis, on Flickr

Allso took the opportunity to add a photo to the panoramas album: https://flic.kr/s/aHskvAnDBv

Altfish

I was thinking about the TPE to the NE services that start at the Airport from next week. Is there any other service that has 4 consecutive stops with the same town/city name at the front?
Manchester Airport
Manchester Piccadilly
Manchester Oxford Road
Manchester Victoria

I can't think of any...over to you to prove me wrong.

jonesy3001

Established Member
no got me there has i've only been on the Birmingham - Worcester train and that called at moor street and snow hill in birmingham and forgate street and shrub hill in worcester, the manchester stations are also making history like a certain team i support.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I was thinking about the TPE to the NE services that start at the Airport from next week. Is there any other service that has 4 consecutive stops with the same town/city name at the front?
Manchester Airport
Manchester Piccadilly
Manchester Oxford Road
Manchester Victoria

It's common in Germany where they are picky enough to prefix all stations within city boundaries with the city name (one of which will be Hbf).
eg in Dortmund, Hamburg, Dresden, Köln, München, Berlin and many other large cities.
There must be more than a dozen Hamburg-xyz stations in succession on the S-bahn, between Altona in the north and Bergedorf in the east.
They are often abbreviated "HH-" or whatever the city standard abbreviation is (DO, Dr, K, M, B etc).
All very neat and tidy and logical.
Our equivalent would have Manchester-East Didsbury, and Manchester Miles Platting and so on.
And, I suppose, Salford Eccles.

Roast Veg

Established Member
Trivia-wise London Bridge, London Waterloo East, and London Charing Cross would have been at least the previous joint longest run of city named stations I believe.

notlob.divad

Established Member
Trivia-wise London Bridge, London Waterloo East, and London Charing Cross would have been at least the previous joint longest run of city named stations I believe.
Equal with Liverpool Lime Street, Liverpool Central, Liverpool James Street. Now if only they would call Moorfields properly as Liverpool Moorfields there would be a run of 5. :D

InOban

Established Member
There are a few trains which call at both South Gyle and Gateway, and so call at four Edinburgh stations. However in the Scotrail timetable only Edinburgh (ie Waverley) and Gateway are named Edinburgh.

rebmcr

Established Member
Manchester Airport
Manchester Piccadilly
Manchester Oxford Road
Manchester Victoria

Stourbridge Junction
Stourbridge Town
Stourbridge Junction
Stourbridge Town
Stourbridge Junction
Stourbridge Town
Stourbridge Junction
Stourbridge Town
Stourbridge Junction
Stourbridge Town
Stourbridge Junction
Stourbridge Town
Stourbridge Junction

Not sure what the longest diagram is!

route101

Established Member
It's common in Germany where they are picky enough to prefix all stations within city boundaries with the city name (one of which will be Hbf).
eg in Dortmund, Hamburg, Dresden, Köln, München, Berlin and many other large cities.
There must be more than a dozen Hamburg-xyz stations in succession on the S-bahn, between Altona in the north and Bergedorf in the east.
They are often abbreviated "HH-" or whatever the city standard abbreviation is (DO, Dr, K, M, B etc).
Our equivalent would have Manchester-East Didsbury, and Manchester Miles Platting and so on.

Quite common in Eastern . central Europe that.

Altfish

Stourbridge Junction
Stourbridge Town
Stourbridge Junction
Stourbridge Town
Stourbridge Junction
Stourbridge Town
Stourbridge Junction
Stourbridge Town
Stourbridge Junction
Stourbridge Town
Stourbridge Junction
Stourbridge Town
Stourbridge Junction

Not sure what the longest diagram is!
:lol::lol:

edwin_m

Veteran Member
On the Underground Hounslow, Ruislip and Finchley are runs of three, although for the second two the place comes before the sub-place. In the case of Finchley the stations are East, Central and West but they are shown as north-south on the Tube map.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
St Pancras International - Stratford International - Ebbsfleet International - Ashford International is a run of 4 stations, all apparently in the town of International. ;)

B&I

Established Member
Equal with Liverpool Lime Street, Liverpool Central, Liverpool James Street. Now if only they would call Moorfields properly as Liverpool Moorfields there would be a run of 5. :D

This would have been great in the pre-internet days, when my John Coleish accent on the rail enquiries phone line would lead them to think I'd asked for Mirfield

zuriblue

Similarly in my neck of the woods where a commuter train I often get (S12) calls at Zürich Altstetten, Zürich Hardbrucke, Zürich HB, Zürich Stadelhofen and Zürich Stettbach.

Adlington

St Pancras International - Stratford International - Ebbsfleet International - Ashford International is a run of 4 stations, all apparently in the town of International. ;)
It must be a huge town... I remember passing through it somewhere in the Midlands :)

Iceflame30

Not sure if that's been posted here, but there was a FOI request regarding bring the Chat Moss platforms back into service at Salford Central:
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/468925/response/1137394/attach/2/FOI201800282 Response 05.04.18.pdf
In direct response to your question, I can confirm that Network Rail have no plans to bring the disused platforms back into use at Salford Central Station. Whilst we have no plans to bring these platforms back into use, we can advise that Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) have been working on a feasibility study to assess station layout/platform options which could accommodate train services for the following lines up/down Chat Moss and up/down Ordsall Chord lines.

Established Member
Status
Not open for further replies.