• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Orient Express Style Luxury Journeys

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dasie Archer

Hello all,

Firstly, my apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place. I am relatively new to being actively involved online!

It is my husband who is the rail enthusiast, so I come requiring some assistance on his behalf.

I watched an episode of 'The Apprentice' last week where the candidates held (an awful) trip aboard a beautiful train. I believe it was called the 'British Pullman'.

After watching, my husband was very much enthused and we discussed how wonderful it would be to experience a 1930's style train.

Further research shows that you can indeed spend thousands on glamorous cross-continental 'rail holidays', but I found https://www.luxurytraintickets.com/ and https://northernbelle.co.uk/ that offer more affordable 'day trips'.

I was wondering if anyone had been on any trips such as these and whether they could help me answer some questions?

1. Are these tours generally readily available? We are looking to book something when the weather improves. Would I need to generally book quite far in advance? Have we maybe missed the booking window for next year?

2. Does anyone know what is included in the journey? Is lunch provided for example? Are drinks complimentary?

3. My husband is intrigued as to whether these are genuine carriages used or are they made to simply 'mimic' a 1930's style carriage?

4. Is there any particular train or journey anyone may recommend? We would ideally like to depart from a station in or near London, but if it's worth travelling we're happy to look beyond.

Many thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Dasie.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
The one that appeared on 'The Apprentice' was, as you correctly suggest, the 'British Pullman', which is operated by Belmond. The trains are available to the public (although they also run some private charters), details of the public trains are at https://www.belmond.com/trains/europe/uk/belmond-british-pullman/ . Each trip describes what you get with regard to meals/drinks - it varies on the length of the trip. The coaches are genuine Pullman vehicles. Note though that only a few trains are steam-hauled.

If these trains are too expensive, there are cheaper trips out from London by firms such as UK Railtours - these normally use carriages dating from the 1950s-1970s rather than Pullman vehicles. This operator also hires the British Pullman train occasionally and they have once steam hauled such trip on February 15th - see https://www.ukrailtours.com/product/the-st-valentines-pullman/ for details.

The Northern Belle operates with coaches dating from the 1970s which have been rebuilt to a high standard as Pullman style vehicles.

Hope this helps.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good afternoon,

You can certainly travel on the British Pullman, have a look at The Belmond Company website, (Belmond are the operators of that train) Hope the following link works. If not just Google it.
https://www.belmond.com

The British Pullman operates mainly diesel hauled excursions around the South of the UK, but I think sometimes elsewhere too. They do run the odd steam hauled tour as well. The carriages, as far as I know are the old Pullman coaches from the 1920s and 1930s which have been refurbished. They also operation tours in Europe too, (The Venice Simplon Orient Express) from Calais and Paris to Venice and sometimes beyond, using original refurbished Wagons Lits Carriages.

Also google, Railway Touring Company, Steam Dreams/Cathedrals Express, UK Railtours, Pathfinder and Torbay Express who all operate special charter trains in the UK/ either steam or diesel hauled on the main line, using carriages from the 1950s/1960s, with standard, first class and Premier Dining options, sometimes with a Pullman type carriage attached too. (Infact I was on one yesterday whcih was thus formed.)

Many of the preserved lines, such as Blue Bell, North Yorkshire, Great Central also operate dining trains which are rather good too, again using refurbished carriages, some of which are Pullmans,

Dasie Archer

I appreciate your reply theblackwatch. This is very useful to know.

I didn't realise not all the journeys were steam, thank you for pointing this out. This could be an essential part to our journey as my husband is particular about these things. It is positive to hear the carriages are genuine however, so it does look like a British Pullman journey may be the one to choose.

Apologies for not looking closer - I initially didn't see the 'more information' button when you hover your mouse for each journey on the Belmond website. I can now see a clearer list of what is included with each journey.

I forgot to mention about seating arrangements. I tried to call Belmond but couldn't get through, so I called Luxury Train Tickets. They said I can choose to have our own table or to share with another couple. I can pay an additional fee if I want to guarantee a table of my own, but the sooner I book the more likely it is I can get a table on our own with no charge.

I can't remember on 'The Apprentice' the seating configurations, is it very much tables of four or do they cater for tables of two as well?

Dasie.

Steamie Boxes

I didn't realise not all the journeys were steam, thank you for pointing this out. This could be an essential part to our journey as my husband is particular about these things. It is positive to hear the carriages are genuine however, so it does look like a British Pullman journey may be the one to choose.

Apologies for not looking closer - I initially didn't see the 'more information' button when you hover your mouse for each journey on the Belmond website. I can now see a clearer list of what is included with each journey.

I forgot to mention about seating arrangements. I tried to call Belmond but couldn't get through, so I called Luxury Train Tickets. They said I can choose to have our own table or to share with another couple. I can pay an additional fee if I want to guarantee a table of my own, but the sooner I book the more likely it is I can get a table on our own with no charge.

I can't remember on 'The Apprentice' the seating configurations, is it very much tables of four or do they cater for tables of two as well?

Dasie.
It includes both 2 seaters and 4 seaters, one seating arrangement one side of the carriage, the other seating arrangement on the opposite side

Iskra

Established Member
Avoid Steam Dreams/Cathedrals Express like the plague.

Most railtours have a premier dining option available, probably a bit cheaper than the northern belle type operations. I would recommend UK railtours as a London operator of day trips.

trebor79

Established Member

Dasie.
Book direct with Belmond rather than a third party if you want the British Pullman. Their phone agents are brilliant and when I booked for my parents gave me a 25% discount, for no particular reason!
ISTR the seating choice is a table for two or compartment of 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.