• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Orient express VSOE tv programme - repeated 4 Oct 2020

Status
Not open for further replies.

eMeS

I watched the repeat last night, and was struck by two things, apart from the costs - the mention several times that it ran at around 100mph, and that the coaches were refurbished originals, and from what I saw, I got the impression that they were timber framed.

Is a timber frame compatible with modern safety standards and 100mph running, or was it actually closer to 100kph, and an error by the voice-over?

(Back in 1965 I travelled on the Direct Orient Express ovvernight from Nis in Serbia to Athens. Luxury it wasn't. Scary at the border, very definitely - would we get our passports returned?)

(The previous thread seems to be locked.)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

102 fan

I was surprised at the Chef saying he couldn't fry because of the fire hazard, then we see a coal fired boiler in the coaches for heat.

How do the white shirted staff keep clean while shovelling coal?

MarcVD

As far as I know, all coaches used by VSOE have a metallic frame. I don’t believe there are still wooden frame cars in circulation anywhere in western Europe, unless on preserved railways. National railway certification authorities would never accept the hazard that such coaches would represent.

JonathanP

The Berlin Eisenbahnfreunde have this coach, which is still in use on passenger trains on main line tracks. It's certainly of the wooden-framed type, although I can't exclude the possibility it was at some point rebuilt with steel frames.

According to Wikipedia, the VSOE coaches now use new replacement bogies built for 160km/h running.

peteb

I saw the programme was made in 2015. Has the train stayed the same? At one point in the programme there was talk of aircon (yuk) being retrofitted!!!

reb0118

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I can't believe the robbing bar stewards actually charge you for the drinks. Thats why you should travel on the Royal Scotsman instead - as I believe that it's generally all inclusive.

TheBigD

Established Member
I travelled on the Orient Express from London to Berlin last year. I'd recommend the trip to anyone.

In both the British Pullman from Victoria, and the VSOE from Calais, the staff were exemplary, the food was amazing, the general ambience and the atmosphere on board were top class. Some of the finest food I've tasted followed by a very enjoyable evening/night in the piano bar with a jazz band playing, and then waking up as your travelling along the banks of the Rhine the next morning. It was a bit surreal not being allowed to get off the train at the stations until they'd laid out a red carpet for us.

The only negative is having to transfer to a luxury coach to transfer through to Channel Tunnel.

Yes drinks are extra (£14 for a whisky, £14 for a beer, cheapest bottle of wine was £80) but you can't fault the staff, food, service or quality in any way.

Incidentally, I first watched the documentary at a hotel in Chau Doc, Vietnam back in 2018 as it was the only thing in English I could find on the bedroom TV!

I was supposed to be doing the Indian Pacific from Sydney across Australia to Perth in gold class early next year but the China virus has sadly put paid to that.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
I can't believe the robbing bar stewards actually charge you for the drinks. Thats why you should travel on the Royal Scotsman instead - as I believe that it's generally all inclusive.

You should have a drinks allowance on the VSOE given what you pay for it, even if it's three or four tokens per person. Most people won't drink like they're in Wetherspoon: they'll take a time over each glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.