• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Original Class 365 PIS Recordings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

365 Networker

Hi, I'm new to the forum and as you can probably tell from my profile picture and name that I like the class 365. One of my favourite things about them was the quirky original PIS e.g. 'This train is for bLondon Kings Cross' and was wondering if anyone had any recordings of some of the more obscure messages such as the 'Here is a special announcement' type messages. I would also be interested to hear any of the Connex announcements.
Here are some recordings I managed to capture before the PIS was replaced:-
h++ps://1drv.ms/u/s!AgRJuLN-hn0s5zGCLX1vldNvZIXR?e=ZUEVj1
h++ps://1drv.ms/u/s!AgRJuLN-hn0s5zXtHFgQuFoPVz_F?e=FeUCos
h++ps://1drv.ms/u/s!AgRJuLN-hn0s5zYaqp0GVfXYA0WR?e=BsGvwB

Many Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
The 365s have been a constant feature of my rail travel for the last 20+ years. They are still my preferred train between Stevenage and London despite the introduction of newer 387s and 700s.

It's remarkable that the original PIS system lasted 20 years. The 'bLondon Kings Cross' always used to make me smile. I did one hear an announcement on arrival at Kings Cross that said 'this train is empty to the depot' although I never got a recording.

There was always a familiarity to the original WAGN announcement when boarding a train at Kings Cross that went something like this:

'Welcome aboard the West Anglia Great Northern service to Cambridge and Kings Lynn. Calling at Finsbury Park, Stevenage, Hitchin, Letchworth, Bladock, Royston, Cambridge, Waterbeach, Ely, Littleport, Downham Market, Watlington AND Kings Lynn'.

At intermediate stations, and at Kings Cross after FCC took over, the announcement would just say 'this train is for Cambridge calling at...' although there was one rogue unit still running round saying 'West Anglia Great Northern' until GTR days!

Rumour has it that Hornsey depot lost the floppy discs for the system meaning that it couldn't be updated.

bramling

Veteran Member
The 365s have been a constant feature of my rail travel for the last 20+ years. They are still my preferred train between Stevenage and London despite the introduction of newer 387s and 700s.

It's remarkable that the original PIS system lasted 20 years. The 'bLondon Kings Cross' always used to make me smile. I did one hear an announcement on arrival at Kings Cross that said 'this train is empty to the depot' although I never got a recording.

There was always a familiarity to the original WAGN announcement when boarding a train at Kings Cross that went something like this:

'Welcome aboard the West Anglia Great Northern service to Cambridge and Kings Lynn. Calling at Finsbury Park, Stevenage, Hitchin, Letchworth, Bladock, Royston, Cambridge, Waterbeach, Ely, Littleport, Downham Market, Watlington AND Kings Lynn'.

At intermediate stations, and at Kings Cross after FCC took over, the announcement would just say 'this train is for Cambridge calling at...' although there was one rogue unit still running round saying 'West Anglia Great Northern' until GTR days!

Rumour has it that Hornsey depot lost the floppy discs for the system meaning that it couldn't be updated.

It's funny how a lot of the earlier systems were rather good. The 365 system delivered just the right amount of information, in a good way. The original system on the Central Line was similarly good, with a nice soothing voice.

Regarding the OP, can't help unfortunately, but I'd certainly be interested if anyone's able to track these recordings down. Some of the "here is a special announcement" messages were amusingly patronising.

365 Networker

Perhaps the reason for the original PIS on the 365 and 92 stock being very good is that both trains were made by ABB/BREL!

365 Networker

I've done some searching on YouTube and have found some videos which have some announcements in:-
-Announcement at 0:55

Aictos

Established Member
Does anyone remember the list of announcements?

I know there was one saying there’s a new timetable etc, speak to the conductor, while you also had the catering announcements etc

365 Networker

Some which I can remember are - 'Stand clear of the doors please', 'Leave seats free of items of luggage', 'This train is non-stop to KGX/PBO/CBG', 'This train is empty to the depot'. Not sure about this but I am sure I once heard one say something like 'please ensure you are traveling with the correct ticket'. I could be wrong as that was a very long time ago. The 'Stand Clear' message and 'Bags and Articles' announcements are posted at the top of the post - just paste the link.

St. Paddy

Would any drivers of the 365 be able to tell me how the 'special announcements' work?
There were, I believe, 19 prerecorded announcements. There was a keypad and you would select a number from 01 to 19 and press enter to get the relevant announcement. I probably have a list somewhere, possibly in my locker at work.

Aictos

Established Member
There were, I believe, 19 prerecorded announcements. There was a keypad and you would select a number from 01 to 19 and press enter to get the relevant announcement. I probably have a list somewhere, possibly in my locker at work.

I can’t remember myself but that sounds about right, if you get time and you do find that list any chance you could share it please?

365 Networker

Ok, thanks for the information. Would be very interested to see that list. Does the new system have similar 'special announcements'?

365 Networker

but I'd certainly be interested if anyone's able to track these recordings down. Some of the "here is a special announcement" messages were amusingly patronising.

Good news! They are now available to download from the website below. They are meant for train simulator, but they are all WAV files so you should be able to play them on a pc.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Good work there :)

The announcement about catering made me smile - has catering ever been provided on 365s (possibly in the early WAGN era on Cambridge Cruiser services?)
Similarly the announcement about speaking to the guard - passengers will never have heard that one!
And the one about a payphone - how things have changed!

Established Member
The announcement about catering made me smile - has catering ever been provided on 365s (possibly in the early WAGN era on Cambridge Cruiser services?)

Yes, it was indeed provided then. I don't think it lasted very long, there's little point with a journey time of less than an hour!

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Good work there :)

Similarly the announcement about speaking to the guard - passengers will never have heard that one!
And the one about a payphone - how things have changed!

catering was also provided on the Victoria to Ramsgates

365 Networker

There’s a documentary on YouTube which shows the catering. Just search ‘WAGN Wheels’.

Royston Vasey

Established Member
I remember trolley catering even on 317-operated Cambridge semi-fasts in 2005 or 2006, at least on a weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.