• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Original CTRL plans - pre Stratford International

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
I have heard that the Stratford International station was added by a TWAO after the Channel Tunnel Rail Link Act was passed, but I cannot find much on what the scheme originally included for the site. I have heard references to a Stratford Depot, which could likely just refer to the current link up to the Temple Mills depot but I couldn't find anything definitive. Is anyone aware or has any maps or suchlike of the original plan for the area? I imagine that the plans are available somewhere in a library of record somewhere but it would be nice to see them online.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

user15681

Established Member
The original 'Channel Tunnel Rail Link Act 1996' secured provision for the 'Stratford rail link' and required a long box opening at the site of the now Stratford International station. This was as an emergency exit from the tunnels, for crossovers between tracks, to facilitate a station there if one was deemed necessary in future and presumably also to help access Temple Mills. There was then 'The Channel Tunnel Rail Link (Stratford Station and Subsidiary Works) Order 2001' which secured the station building and associated works I believe.

Talking about Stratford International I used the station for the first time this week, and an appealing bare concrete edifice it is......

Those International platforms, have any services ever called there? Is there an immigration hall sat unused in the building if they ever did start using them?

Sent from my HTC One mini using Tapatalk 2

Established Member
They were used by the Javelin service during the Olympics, the platforms had to be temporarily raised.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
I am still struck by the complete lack of forward thinking which has caused the HS1-HS2 mess. There must have been at least some people in Arup or the DfT who knew that a new line was a matter of when, not if, and that it would be built to the continental loading gauge and radiate from London. I certainly hope that at the very least, someone from Camden Council looked at the plans and realised that they would have to rebuild the North London Line in order to provide any kind of onward connection, but there doesn't seem to be any indication in the press of a 'I told you so' reaction to the initial HS1-HS2 link proposals. Stratford International would be an ideal stop for North-of-London Eurostars, but weren't these already dead and buried by the time the station was confirmed? As a result, the only logical way that Eurostars would stop at Stratford would be as services continuing onto a new high-speed line, which seems to reason that they knew a new line would be built anyway? It's all very confusing, especially when passive/active provision for extra tunnel bores to the north/north-west/west/wherever could so easily have been included into the Stratford Box (thereby making a double-track fully-tunnelled HS1-HS2 link trivial).

pablo

One thing I've noticed in years of working on major infrastructure projects is that, there is no agency in goverment charged with anticipating future needs and implementing it. It's at a parochial level and we are always playing catch-up.

So we get a major project, possibly out in the sticks where, during the construction period, a large workforce burdens itself upon the local roads, doctors, dentists, hospitals usw. All the daily labour force and material deliveries come via county lanes.

Only when the job is finished does the local council kick into action and start to rebuild the roads, say. The process is so slow. Thus the big return on the investment is never realised. The other services are overburdened and some reluctant to treat. But they recover eventually.

I've tackled my MP about this but all he's interested in, is the local car factory..........

In the case in point, HS1 originally, was a child of the Thatcher era and have no public money. It was John Prescott who had to pick up the strands after Bechtel (L&CR) realised the sums didn't add up and wanted out. The £90m or so subvention to keep the project on track was 'justified' by the improvement to north Kent domestic services that became part of the deal. Thus his horizon was limited (beyond two Jags) to settling the immediate fudge and getting the project going again. Did he even think beyond that? It was hide-bound by political dogma from start to finish.

"That's what you get when you leave it to the politicians". Strategic thinking is done elsewhere. But not at all here, it seems.

As far as Arup is concerned, they are consulting engineers, and will do only what their remit requires. They don't get paid for 'extras'. So the strategic thinking and technical innovation has to be generated elsewhere. There's a yawning gap there somewhere.

Last edited:

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Would it be possible for a future High Speed route to diverge just west of Stratford International and continue northwards towards Peterborough, Sheffield, Leeds, Newcastle, and Edinburgh?

This would allow some future international services to run north of London.

In peace

Adam

Stratford and Ebbsfleet seem like last minute additions to compensate those who live along the route but saw no tangible benefit of it for themselves. Along with Ashford they'll probably only see a regional high speed service rather than Eurostar/international ones.

For international rail travel to work it has to be 'seamless,' especially with air travel as the chair of SNCF once claimed.

Surely the HS1/HS2 interchange (whether it's a track connection, or some sort of people mover between St Pancras and Euston), has to be in central London?

Status
Not open for further replies.