• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

ORR publishes Station Usage Report for 2010-11

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintonian

Established Member
Across the network there has been a 8.6% increase in entrances and exits (8% for interchanges) if the increase in the southeast is arround this level then I think we are quickly going to outgrow and capacity increases being engineered currently.

1325 interchanged at Yeovil Junction and 916 at Pen Mill so in theory there must be some other reason people are changing at Junction.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnnychips

Established Member
Why on earth are there 299 season tickets from Snaith (3 trains a day Goole-Leeds line). Some clever fares economy?

Ivo

Established Member
1325 interchanged at Yeovil Junction and 916 at Pen Mill so in theory there must be some other reason people are changing at Junction.

Could be due to people wanting to go from Whimple etc to Grateley etc on Sundays and wanting to avoid changing at Salisbury?

Bevan Price

Established Member
The figures in PTE areas strike me as very dubious. For example, on my local line, Wigan NW - Liverpool, both Thatto Heath and Eccleston Park have comparable usage (just over 162,000), but observation on all the trains I use shows that far more passengers use Thatto Heath than Eccleston Park.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Never thought of that! But they would have to have predictable 9-5 jobs then.

Possible I suppose. I attended a wedding in Brigg once and it seemed a nice well to do place so it could have a smattering of professional types.

wintonian

Established Member
Holyhead
09/10 185,506
10/11 241,210

The increase is being blamed on volcanic ash, but is it possible there was some increase in railsail traffic, there was a slight increase at Holyhead the previous year? Assuming the increase is mainly due to the ash cloud where did they all go or otherwise where did the 583 people who supposedly interchanged at Holyhead go? :?

I'd like to know who the 536 season ticket entry/ exits are at Beaulieu Road, the first train to London didn't arrive into Waterloo untill gone 10:30, next one wasn't untill the afternoon and the 3rd and final departure towards London was after 18:00. - Not exactly an odditie just surpprised there were any season tickets.

18,496 people nearly 50% of all users chose to interchange at Upway rather than Weymouth or Dorchester (I assume) for some reason (5.409 interchanged at Weymouth). :?

Why is Heysham Port shown as Heysham Harbour in the statistics? :?

If 196,613 interchanged at Ryde Pier Head why did no-one interchange at Heysham Port/ Harbour?

I know they are known to be inaccurate but these are some of the oddities I spotted anyway.

Last edited:

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
but Birm N.S. is down 2%

New Street is down 600k
Do the rises in passenger numbers at Moor Street (+500k) and Snow Hill (+900k) account for a lot of that? I do wonder what impact Evergreen 3 had on the Birmingham - London market, are more people now travelling via the Chilterns? Post Evergreen 3 data only counts for a fraction of this report though, but even so Marylebone is up by about 1.5m passengers (12.25%) which is a significant increase, especially considering the station was completely closed to all traffic for a while.

wintonian

Established Member
New Street is down 600k
Do the rises in passenger numbers at Moor Street (+500k) and Snow Hill (+900k) account for a lot of that? I do wonder what impact Evergreen 3 had on the Birmingham - London market, are more people now travelling via the Chilterns? Post Evergreen 3 data only counts for a fraction of this report though, but even so Marylebone is up by about 1.5m passengers (12.25%) which is a significant increase, especially considering the station was completely closed to all traffic for a while.

I know XC posters on the Bournemouth - Birmingham run have (not sure if they did then or still do now) advised pepole to change at Wolves of Coventry depending on whether they are going north or south due to congestion at New Street, that is bound to have some impact.

Cherry_Picker

Established Member
Yeah, they do. Its Leamington Spa (2 tph) that they recommend on the Bournemouth branch rather than Coventry (1 tph) though. Derby, Wolverhampton and Cheltenham Spa being the other three "change here to avoid New Street" stations. Those stations are highlighted on the XC route maps too. Just glancing at those stations and they are all up by a similar amount of passengers, just over 100k each (Wolves is nearer 200k) but year on year interchange figures aren't immediately available, and its too late to go digging for them.
That said, I'd take the figures with a grain of salt, I assume that the interchange figure is taken from where a passenger is advised to change rather than where they actually changed (which would be impossible to track) so people might have been changing at New Street when the system thinks they are changing at Leamington Spa.

wintonian

Established Member
Yeah, they do. Its Leamington Spa (2 tph) that they recommend on the Bournemouth branch rather than Coventry (1 tph) though. Derby, Wolverhampton and Cheltenham Spa being the other three "change here to avoid New Street" stations. Those stations are highlighted on the XC route maps too. Just glancing at those stations and they are all up by a similar amount of passengers, just over 100k each (Wolves is nearer 200k) but year on year interchange figures aren't immediately available, and its too late to go digging for them.
That said, I'd take the figures with a grain of salt, I assume that the interchange figure is taken from where a passenger is advised to change rather than where they actually changed (which would be impossible to track) so people might have been changing at New Street when the system thinks they are changing at Leamington Spa.

I expect it's some split between where they are advised to change i.e. Wolves and where the pax thinks it's logical to change i.e. New Street.

WatcherZero

Established Member

Schnellzug

Established Member
18,496 people nearly 50% of all users chose to interchange at Upway rather than Weymouth or Dorchester (I assume) for some reason (5.409 interchanged at Weymouth). :? .

They do suggest that you change betwen trains from Bournemouth and Bristol at Upwey to save a walk between the stations at Dorchester, although it's not very far.

cle

Established Member
It's nonsense that nobody interchanged at Queens Park (London) - hundreds do every day from LO to the tube and vv.

Has the same for Vauxhall too, surely one of the biggest interchanges?!

pemma

Veteran Member
It's nonsense that nobody interchanged at Queens Park (London) - hundreds do every day from LO to the tube and vv.

Has the same for Vauxhall too, surely one of the biggest interchanges?!

Only National Rail to National Rail interchanges count as an interchange. A National Rail to London Underground interchange counts as an exit.

Interchanges are harder to count correctly than entries/exits. On a lot of journeys you have a choice of where to change.

wintonian

Established Member
Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

I think it will be the other way round, because despite those XC advisory maps/diagrams, the journey planners almost never advise those changes, I believe because they still default to existing rules such as 'go as far as you possibly can on the first (or any) train'. Wouldn't Delta Rail just use the same interchange algorithms that the journey planners use?

John55

I think it will be the other way round, because despite those XC advisory maps/diagrams, the journey planners almost never advise those changes, I believe because they still default to existing rules such as 'go as far as you possibly can on the first (or any) train'. Wouldn't Delta Rail just use the same interchange algorithms that the journey planners use?

Can I suggest everone reads the report as well as the data sheet. This explains how the data is produced and some of the limitations of the information produced.

The interchange data is calculated in accordance with the formulas used in the ORCATS calculations. Journey planners go by fastest route and acceptable connection times which are not necessarily the same. My own journeys are as often as not determined by where the tea/coffee bar is likely to be open!

Last edited:

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Lets see, the thing they have in common is they are all Northern groupings in the North West. Theres a note they previously underestimated West Yorkshire PTE tickets by 50% but as people rarely used PTE tickets in West Yorkshire the adjustment was negligible.

Station Usage Report said:
Note that within West Yorkshire PTE area, the majority of rail journeys are made on rail-only tickets, i.e. not PTE Infill tickets. Thus the overall effect of this correction is relatively small.

This sounds suspect - I see a large proportion of Metrocards being used - the only rail-only PTE tickets I know of is the Rail Dayrover (and the recent Zone 7 and 8 Metrocards) . Given there's all the other dayrovers and metrocards...

paul1609

Established Member
Holyhead
09/10 185,506
10/11 241,210

The increase is being blamed on volcanic ash, but is it possible there was some increase in railsail traffic, there was a slight increase at Holyhead the previous year? Assuming the increase is mainly due to the ash cloud where did they all go or otherwise where did the 583 people who supposedly interchanged at Holyhead go? :?

I'd like to know who the 536 season ticket entry/ exits are at Beaulieu Road, the first train to London didn't arrive into Waterloo untill gone 10:30, next one wasn't untill the afternoon and the 3rd and final departure towards London was after 18:00. - Not exactly an odditie just surpprised there were any season tickets.

18,496 people nearly 50% of all users chose to interchange at Upway rather than Weymouth or Dorchester (I assume) for some reason (5.409 interchanged at Weymouth). :?

Why is Heysham Port shown as Heysham Harbour in the statistics? :?

If 196,613 interchanged at Ryde Pier Head why did no-one interchange at Heysham Port/ Harbour?

I know they are known to be inaccurate but these are some of the oddities I spotted anyway.

Beaulieu Road is quite possibly because it is a fares zone boundary station on Southerns "Route Barnham" season tickets and some people including myself use these as a kind of rover ticket.
For instance an Ashford International to Beaulieu road 7 day season ticket a gives you availability all the way along the south coast as well as the Brighton Main Line and Arun Valley lines south of Redhill, then Redhill
to Ashford at a very reasonable cost. If you go to Brockenhurst the price jumps by a third.

dvboy

Established Member

XC-XC interchanges anywhere other than New Street are a funny one because for example if you were changing off a Manchester-SW to a Manchester-Bournemouth service at Wolves you might as well have just got the train half an hour later from Manchester, otherwise I know I'd much rather spend half an hour at New St than at Wolves.

At Wolves it's more likely to be people changing off XC from the South or VT from London onto Shrewsbury line trains as it's easier to do it there than at New Street.

Tracky

Gwersyllt is up... Still far below the actual though (IMO)

Bache never see's that many passengers... They need to be transfered over into Shotton/Flint and Helsby/Frodsham/Runcorn East!

Clip

Established Member
Im amazed to see the Sudburys on Chilterns line have such a large jump in patronage

John55

Im amazed to see the Sudburys on Chilterns line have such a large jump in patronage

I'm amazed that the stations are open at all with such dismal passenger loadings. The busy one has 100 passengers per day the quiet one 30. You really have to wonder how a station in that part of London is doing to justify its existence with such poor service/traffic.

wintonian

Established Member
Beaulieu Road is quite possibly because it is a fares zone boundary station on Southerns "Route Barnham" season tickets and some people including myself use these as a kind of rover ticket.
For instance an Ashford International to Beaulieu road 7 day season ticket a gives you availability all the way along the south coast as well as the Brighton Main Line and Arun Valley lines south of Redhill, then Redhill
to Ashford at a very reasonable cost. If you go to Brockenhurst the price jumps by a third.

The CDR with railcard is only £9.90 :shock: I know Southerns fares are good value being a slow route and that but I must remember this one could pair up nicely with something else me thinks - don't know what yet but will have hunt arround.

Pitty its via Barnham and the not London is a lot more. :( £9.90 to Clapham then a travelcard anyone?

paul1609

Established Member
The CDR with railcard is only £9.90 :shock: I know Southerns fares are good value being a slow route and that but I must remember this one could pair up nicely with something else me thinks - don't know what yet but will have hunt arround.

Pitty its via Barnham and the not London is a lot more. :( £9.90 to Clapham then a travelcard anyone?

I'd recommend breaking the Beaulieu rd to Ashford Journey at Three Bridges and getting a FCC only super off peak travel card from there (especially at weekends) £6.60 (with rc)

Status
Not open for further replies.