• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Other trains using HS2/Eurotunnel track and vice-versa, and train-specific lines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howardh

Established Member
Just a quickie - if ever HS2 gets built as far as Crewe, will HS2 trains be able to run on "ordinary" lines (ie to Manchester/Liverpool or as diversions) at lower speeds - and will "ordinary" trains - eg pendolinos or their equivalent - be able to use HS2 tracks if they have to be diverted?

Could a pacer or Sprinter use Eurotunnel and the route....in theory?

Are there any normal lines which can only be used for one specific type of stock (excluding, of course, electrics on non-electric lines, private lines etc) due to curves, gradients etc?

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Planner

Veteran Member
HS2 trains to Liverpool, Manchester, Scotland etc will run on the conventional tracks from day 1. It won't apply in reverse though.

Howardh

Established Member
HS2 trains to Liverpool, Manchester, Scotland etc will run on the conventional tracks from day 1. It won't apply in reverse though.
Thanks - any reason for the reverse not being available? I know HS2 won't want the line clogging up with "slower" trains, probably the only reason and nothing technically to do with the track?
As an aside I wonder if the M6 around Birmingham is ever closed due to accidents, do they open up the toll road for free to ease that congestion?

Joseph_Locke

Established Member
Within earshot of trains passing the one and half
To expand The Planner's answer, it is because a) they won't be able to go fast enough to avoid delaying HS2's trains and b) they wan't be able to use HS2's platforms because HS2 is being built to a different gauge altogether ...

... and they'd have to be fitted for ERTMS / ATO, which is never going to happen, definitely not to 30+ year old trains!

Howardh

Established Member
It's never closed to M6 traffic, and everyone pays. It is a unprofitable private road so why would they take pity on anyone?
Well, to get traffic moving, but as you say that will cut into profits (or extend losses...) so it's not gonna happen. What, a little bit of common sense in the UK?? And I bet when the toll road's blocked no-one gets their money back either. Tablets please, nurse.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
There's not a lot of point for other trains to go onto HS2, since it won't be possible for them to leave it again and rejoin the rest of the rail network. While HS2 and the WCML both end up at Euston, there's no track connection planned between the two (any more; there was originally a plan for some 400m dual-use platforms in the original 2010 concept). The southernmost connection to the exising rail network will now be at the Calvert infrastructure maintenance depot at the crossing of HS2 and the Oxford-Bletchley rail line. During construction, other connections will exist for construction trains but these will be removed. The same is largely true for all the other HS2 branches into urban areas. In Birmingham, for instance, the only connection between HS2 and the other rail lines will be within the Washwood Heath depot area. Originally there was going to be an odd connection from HS2 onto the NLL for the HS1-HS2 link but this is no longer happening.

The Planner

Veteran Member
There's not a lot of point for other trains to go onto HS2, since it won't be possible for them to leave it again and rejoin the rest of the rail network. While HS2 and the WCML both end up at Euston, there's no track connection planned between the two (any more; there was originally a plan for some 400m dual-use platforms in the original 2010 concept). The southernmost connection to the exising rail network will now be at the Calvert infrastructure maintenance depot at the crossing of HS2 and the Oxford-Bletchley rail line. During construction, other connections will exist for construction trains but these will be removed. The same is largely true for all the other HS2 branches into urban areas. In Birmingham, for instance, the only connection between HS2 and the other rail lines will be within the Washwood Heath depot area. Originally there was going to be an odd connection from HS2 onto the NLL for the HS1-HS2 link but this is no longer happening.
Nope, HS2 is separate at Washwood Heath.

NotATrainspott

Established Member
Nope, HS2 is separate at Washwood Heath.

Really? I remembered how various documents about depot positioning mentioned how a connection to the local rail network was necessary for various non-service reasons. I presumed that would be especially true of Washwood Heath given that it will be the main rolling stock servicing depot for the HS2 network. Being able to deliver classic-compatible and maintenance trains by rail is a useful thing.

Oh well.

cheese

In theory, ignoring real-world practicalities, I'd think a Pacer or Sprinter fitted with the necessary train control/signalling systems (I assume ERTMS for HS2 and TVM430/KVB for HS1) could travel on them.

AlexNL

Established Member
Wouldn't a DMU set off smoke detectors in the tunnels along HS1 and the Channel Tunnel?

Oh, lord - Hope there's no pacers left by the time HS2 opens. :D

As well as signalling incompatibility and so forth mentioned by others, would OHLE height be another issue - IIRC on the LGV's it's higher and needs different "pantograph settings"....?

hwl

Established Member
Really? I remembered how various documents about depot positioning mentioned how a connection to the local rail network was necessary for various non-service reasons. I presumed that would be especially true of Washwood Heath given that it will be the main rolling stock servicing depot for the HS2 network. Being able to deliver classic-compatible and maintenance trains by rail is a useful thing.

Oh well.
Can be done at several other proposed locations though e.g. Calvert (maintenance trains)

diffident

Oh well.

The published plans for Washwood Heath depot do not show it connected to the Derby-Birmingham line. (https://assets.publishing.service.g...ile/529786/C224-ARP-CV-DPP-040-227100-FPD.pdf)

paul1609

Established Member
Sort of on topic, the first e320 in service left Ashford this morning for Paris after the successful testing. Hopefully the end of a real drawn out saga.

Status
Not open for further replies.