• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Out-of-area rovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

_toommm_

Established Member
Just a bit of advice on how to get a station to issue a rover that isn't valid in that particular area e.g. a Cheshire Day Ranger or Cumbrian Coast, issuing at Sheffield.

Is there some sort of unique number they can put in for each ticket? Sheffield in particular struggle with it massively and as conductors on trains then won't issue it, if leaves me high and dry and missing my next connection.

Thanks in advance

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

RJ

Established Member
It depends on the ticket issuing system in use. It'll either be in a designated menu, or the clerk will have use the NLC or location name in the destination field.

Rovers are one of those things which can be difficult to find - the location names are limited to 16 characters and don't necessarily always bear a resemblance to the rover name. Perhaps a screenshot or printout of BR Fares may help things along, as it contains enough information for any clerk to have a stab at it.

Established Member
It depends on the ticket issuing system in use. It'll either be in a designated menu, or the clerk will have use the NLC or location name in the destination field.

Rovers are one of those things which can be difficult to find - the location names are limited to 16 characters and don't necessarily always bear a resemblance to the rover name. Perhaps a screenshot or printout of BR Fares may help things along, as it contains enough information for any clerk to have a stab at it.
When I purchased a North Wales flexipass at Warrington Bank Quay, the clerk pulled out a list of common rovers. The all Wales flexipass and the South Wales only ones were on it-but North Wales only was not. He thought he'd got the right one-it was only when I questioned it being £20 higher tham expected we realised there was a problem.

A quick look on BRFares found the right ticket, and I was on the train to Llanfairfechan about 5 minutes later! I've shown BRFares to get a Northern Family and Friends before too. Never had an issue when I've done that.

Kite159

Veteran Member
I normally have the rover details from BRFares on my phone as some are easier to find than others. And I like confusing the ticket office lady at Andover

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Ah, Sheffield station.....

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
As RJ says, rovers can be difficult to find.

My first day with our new machines proved that, when I couldn't find a rover ticket for two gents who'd boarded my train at an unstaffed station. I got presented with three options, none of which seemed right, and by the time I'd thought to go and check BR Fares (I don't carry my work phone with me when I'm in the train) we were at the station where I was due to be relieved. Fortunately, my colleague who relieved me knew how to do it and promised to sort them out!

RJ

Established Member
What are you getting at. Has it got a poor reputation in some way ?

Odd things happen there. I once asked for a Priv rate Bedford to Luton Airport Parkway Anytime Return as an extension to the East Midlands Rover I held. The clerk refused to sell it to me - she said that the distance of that journey was too short to have an open return, so she wouldn't issue it.

Can't speak for anybody else, but usually when a ticket office is staffed with people who like creating completely unnecessary drama, it leads to the place getting a reputation for being useless. Not just on this forum, but amongst regular punters and people making occasional trips.

Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
What are you getting at. Has it got a poor reputation in some way ?

Yes it has. Many complaints on here about poor service and refusal to issue tickets. A bit like Blackpool North but in a ticketing sense...

NorthernSpirit

Established Member
I've had no problem at Huddersfield when I asked for a Bristol Freedom Travelpass, they were happy to sell me one.

ashworth

Established Member
Ah, Sheffield station.....

I think the uncooperative staff is just at Sheffield and not EMT in general. Just down the line at Chesterfield and also especially at Alfreton,I have always found the EMT staff really helpful especially when requesting split ticketing or out of area tickets. It is often much cheaper on journeys where Day Returns aren’t available from Alfreton and Chesterfield, to split at Sheffield, to get Day Returns.

Incidentally, if you can’t get the ticket you want at Sheffield I have found the Northern staff at Meadowhall very good and helpful.

Established Member
I met someone recently actually who bought an East Midlands Rover from a guard on a Felixtowe-Ipswich service.

Status
Not open for further replies.