• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Out of court settlement payment

Status
Not open for further replies.

WFChornets

Hi guys,

I’ve just received an out of court settlement, is it safe to pay by card over the phone or is it better to send a cheque in a recorded first class delivery post.

Thanks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deafdoggie

Established Member
Why would it not be safe to pay by card over the phone?
The chances of a criminal listening in on the phone call to get your card number must be so mathematically remote as to be not worth considering. If they did, the bank will refund any fraudulent transactions anyway.
The chances of a criminal stealing post is very, very small, but slightly larger. If they do and find your cheque, they then have all your account details & there’s little you can do about it. They could set up direct debits and standing orders that you can do little about if you don’t notice before the money leaves your account.
In terms of proof of payment, it makes no difference at all.
Personally, nowadays, I think paying by cheque is unnecessarily risky and expensive.

island

Veteran Member
They could set up direct debits and standing orders that you can do little about if you don’t notice before the money leaves your account.
This is incorrect and scaremongering.

A standing order cannot be set up without the authorisation of the account holder, whether by way of their signing a paper instruction or authorising it over the telephone or online.

Whilst a direct debit instruction could be set up using someone’s sort code and account number without the account holder‘s knowledge, unauthorised direct debits can be reclaimed via the direct debit guarantee.

All that said I still agree it is better and more expedient to pay by card over the phone.

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
This is incorrect and scaremongering.

A standing order cannot be set up without the authorisation of the account holder, whether by way of their signing a paper instruction or authorising it over the telephone or online.
So what happened in the famous case of a tv presenter (I think it was Clarkson) bragging that nothing would happen but he did get hit with a charity payment?

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
So what happened in the famous case of a tv presenter (I think it was Clarkson) bragging that nothing would happen but he did get hit with a charity payment?

You can physically do it, however the Direct Debit Guarantee guarantees it will be reversed if you report that you didn't do it. Clarkson is not enough of an unpleasant person to reverse a charity donation.

You cannot set up a Standing Order with only the account details.

WesternLancer

Established Member
Hi guys,

I’ve just received an out of court settlement, is it safe to pay by card over the phone or is it better to send a cheque in a recorded first class delivery post.

Thanks!
If you phone to make payment keep records - check the number asked for, note down name of person you spoke to, time and date, note down any reference number etc, if that is not offered ask for one if possible.

Deafdoggie

Established Member
You cannot set up a Standing Order with only the account details.
Whilst I’d agree this shouldn’t be possible, if it’s criminals doing it they can! Whilst you can claim the money back from the bank for a fake standing order, it’s a lot of work and effort. They often, but not always, take a small amount each month in the hope it’s not noticed. Whilst you can stop the SO to prevent further payments, retrieving ones already made is a pain and you may decide isn’t worth the effort for the small sum involved. All things considered, card payments are far safer.
Cheques are very old ‘technology’ and don’t carry the same fraud protection built into more modern payments. Card payment has a lot more inbuilt security to protect you. Cheques don’t.

Haywain

Veteran Member
Whilst I’d agree this shouldn’t be possible, if it’s criminals doing it they can! Whilst you can claim the money back from the bank for a fake standing order, it’s a lot of work and effort. They often, but not always, take a small amount each month in the hope it’s not noticed. Whilst you can stop the SO to prevent further payments, retrieving ones already made is a pain and you may decide isn’t worth the effort for the small sum involved. All things considered, card payments are far safer.
Cheques are very old ‘technology’ and don’t carry the same fraud protection built into more modern payments. Card payment has a lot more inbuilt security to protect you. Cheques don’t.
The OP asked for advice on making a payment, which was given. If you want to continue with this sort of scaremongering (you may see it as security awareness, but I would suggest this indicates you have a very low risk profile* because most of us don't) I would suggest starting a new thread on a relevant part of the forums.

*By which I mean you are very risk averse.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.