• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Out of Court vs Prosecution

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrBurnz1

Hello, I’m new to the forum.

I know this may sound a bit vague, but does anyone know the % of cases that go through court as opposed to those settled outside of it.

For example, a first time offender accused of short faring, maybe with a view of a minimal financial gain, is it common for such cases to go all the way to prosecution.

I know there are a lot of factors that need to be taken into account, ie TOC, but given the above scenario, is there any indication as to what may happen?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ForTheLoveOf

Established Member
Hello, I’m new to the forum.

I know this may sound a bit vague, but does anyone know the % of cases that go through court as opposed to those settled outside of it.

For example, a first time offender accused of short faring, maybe with a view of a minimal financial gain, is it common for such cases to go all the way to prosecution.

I know there are a lot of factors that need to be taken into account, ie TOC, but given the above scenario, is there any indication as to what may happen?

Thanks in advance.
I don't think anyone has compiled any statistics. Broadly speaking some TOCs will offer a settlement almost by default, whereas others will usually go for a hardline approach and will refuse to settle if there is any suggestion of dishonesty.

Are you involved in a potential prosecution?

MrBurnz1

Thanks for the reply.

Yes I am. I am stupidly involved with a short fare evasion at Cardiff Central.

I claimed I joined at Newport, but actually got on one stop prior to that. The station is unmanned station and on the day there was no way of getting a ticket at the station, nor on the train as the conductors card machine had packed up!

Absolutely idiotic thing to do but was wondering if anyone has any experience with TfW matters. I understand there are new and as such we are unclear as to their approach, but any insight would be great.

For the record, this is the first offence, and rest assured my last, I am genuinely remorseful for what I have done.

Is it just a case of waiting for the letter and going from there?

furlong

Established Member
Previous experience in the Cardiff area on this forum was that out of court settlements were sometimes offered, but you needed to be a bit persistent, and be prepared to try two or three times before succeeding.

MrBurnz1

Previous experience in the Cardiff area on this forum was that out of court settlements were sometimes offered, but you needed to be a bit persistent, and be prepared to try two or three times before succeeding.

Ok thanks, that’s useful to know

najaB

Veteran Member

I claimed I joined at Newport, but actually got on one stop prior to that. The station is unmanned station and on the day there was no way of getting a ticket at the station, nor on the train as the conductors card machine had packed up!
Hmm... which station was that?

K.o.R

Thanks for the reply.

Absolutely idiotic thing to do but was wondering if anyone has any experience with TfW matters. I understand there are new and as such we are unclear as to their approach, but any insight would be great.

For the record, this is the first offence, and rest assured my last, I am genuinely remorseful for what I have done.

Is it just a case of waiting for the letter and going from there?

Had you stated your actual joining point, you'd probably have been okay if the bolded bit was true.

Status
Not open for further replies.