Outboundary Travelcards and split ticketing

Discussion in 'Fares Advice & Policy' started by sftfan1909, 12 Jun 2019 at 10:43.

1. sftfan1909

sftfan1909 Member

Usually when I visit London on a Saturday I use a combination of an off-peak day return to Didcot Parkway and an outboundary day travelcard from Didcot to zones 1-6. I'm well aware of rule 14.2 in the NRCoC and have used this previously to combine tickets from the zones to elsewhere.
    My question is: would rule 14.2 mean I don't have to stop at Didcot on my journey to and from London? A travelcard is a zonal ticket but Didcot Parkway is on the part of the ticket that is a return journey, to and from the zones, so I would say no.
    Just looking for some confirmation, thank you in advance :)

2. Registered users do not see these banners - join or log in today!

Rail Forums

3. ForTheLoveOf

ForTheLoveOf Established Member

No, you can't use Condition 14.2 to do a non-stop split with a Day Travelcard at the outboundary (origin) station. That's because it's effectively two tickets in one, discounteded over the price for buying them separately - a Didcot Parkway to Boundary Zone 6 return, and a Zones 1-6 Day Travelcard. Imagine if you held three tickets that way (Day Return from [YOUR ORIGIN] to Didcot, Didcot to BZ6 Day Return, and Day TC). You wouldn't be allowed to do a non-stopping split at Didcot as you would be attempting to do so at the boundary of two tickets that are neither zonal tickets nor season tickets.

Unfortunately this situation is likely to only get 'worse' once the non-stop Bristol Parkway to London services launch!

4. sftfan1909

sftfan1909 Member

As I expected. At least the majority of services from my station stop there so I'm not too restricted.
    Thank you :)

5. cactustwirly

cactustwirly Established Member

Whilst a bit more expensive, you can also get an out-boundary travelcard from Reading, which provides more journey opportunities.

6. JonathanH

JonathanH Established Member

Probably 'a lot' more expensive rather than 'a bit' as they don't do day returns to Reading from Swindon and beyond.

Swindon to Didcot Parkway £12.50 off peak day return

Swindon to Reading £26.50 super off peak return

And even worse from further west.

Bristol Temple Meads to Didcot Parkway £26.90 off peak day return

Bristol Temple Meads to Reading £49.40 super off peak return

It is obvious why you would want to split at Didcot Parkway rather than Reading.

Last edited: 15 Jun 2019 at 18:53
  7. SN1 19-5

SN1 19-5 Member

This whole thing baffles me.

I know a chap that likes HST's. We went to London on HST lash ups a few times. One was just a lash up with an "all zone" travel card from Didcot. I think this was £32.

T'other was on the 18th of May day return. Hopped on a tube to Liverpool Street, had some beers, tube back to Paddington to see the HST'S line up! We then caught the 18;30 back to Swindon, couple more beers. Home n happy! I think this one was £30.

I will ask the mindee how he works the system next time I see him.

IF I understand what he tells me, I will report back.