• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Outside london Bus network ticket acceptance when crossrail launches.

Status
Not open for further replies.

matt_world2004

Established Member
Currently with the exception of Shenfield, All tfL managed services are also served by an London buses service, Allowing easy ticketing acceptance to be declared when there is emergency disruption on the network. It means that people arent stranded and can still make their way home if the rail network has problems. Also all Oyster season tickets are compatable with the London bus network and if someone has to use pay and go credit to get both a bus and train because of unexpected service disruption when normally they would only need to get a train refunds can be processed through customer services in the same way

First Great Western use paper tickets for its outside London Network which allows for ticket acceptance to be declared on local bus services when needed. However, when Crossrail launches, the majority of tickets are going to be smartcard based products,There is going to be no easy way for bus operators to check a ticket validity on their services, Unless they agree to install Oyster readers in their bus services, Or TfL sends guards down with Oyster readers to validate tickets,

Previously when ticket acceptance has been declared on heathrow express because of disruption on the Piccadilly line at Heathow revenue and ticketing staff have had to rely on trust that the person holds a valid ticket or enough pay and go credit to make the journey. this is only one stop however, and customers boarding from other stops along the line or other train services (Such as Hayes and Harlington and Feltham) can use their oyster card on these services and get a refund if needed later. When Crossrail launches there are going to be 8 consecutive stops stops not served by any London Bus service, trust in these circumstances is going pose a significant fare evasion risk.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

lightning76

If a non-London bus operator accepts rail ticket holders in times of disruption, the financial aspects will be a matter for the respective managements of the bus and rail operators. The bus operator and its staff will not normally be concerned with the validity or otherwise of rail tickets or smartcards presented.

There may, on occasion, be an opportunity for someone to get away with something they otherwise couldn't. However due to the fact that these disruptions are unplanned, it could only be opportunistic. In such circumstances, I expect the rail management would be more concerned that their trainset wasn't working rather than that Joe Bloggs spied an opportunity for a free journey from Slough to Burnham, or whatever.

You've given me an idea, though. Next time I turn up at a station with a crowd of angry people milling around outside, I shall check all their tickets thoroughly. Anybody not on a permitted route, or travelling on a train other than the one on which they were booked, I shall send back to the station staff for advice on how to complete their journey.....

nicobobinus

What happens at the moment at Carpenders Park when the Overground to Watford Junction conks out? The nearest TfL bus services from there are over a mile away by foot.

34D

Established Member
Currently with the exception of Shenfield, All tfL managed services are also served by an London buses service,

Aren't there some Essex central line stations (Theydon Bois and Epping) with no TfL buses to them.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
When Crossrail launches there are going to be 8 consecutive stops stops not served by any London Bus service, trust in these circumstances is going pose a significant fare evasion risk.

What are the eight? I make it only Shenfield itself at the east end without a TfL bus (Brentwood although outside has the 496)

AM9

Veteran Member
Aren't there some Essex central line stations (Theydon Bois and Epping) with no TfL buses to them.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

What are the eight? I make it only Shenfield itself at the east end without a TfL bus (Brentwood although outside has the 496)

Maybe not consecutive but below are seven stations on the GWML that are not currently served by TfL buses and will be Crossrail stops after 2018/19:

Iver
Langley
Burnham
Taplow
Maidenhead
Twyford
Reading

34D

Established Member
Thinking about this, given that both ends are four track, I'm not convinced there will be that much need for total closures at all.

However, I'm sure rail rep providers Ensign & Sullivan Bus can provide adequate standby cover for that east end, perhaps supplemented by First Berkshire and Reading Buses at the western end.

Out of interest are there any main bus routes at the reading end that link a few of those listed stations? I'm unfamiliar with the network there.

causton

Established Member
What happens at the moment at Carpenders Park when the Overground to Watford Junction conks out? The nearest TfL bus services from there are over a mile away by foot.

It happened the other day. We told the customers frankly that they had to wait until the line reopened as the Overground would not pay for them to get a taxi or put a minibus on to get them home, the closest they could get was Bushey or Harrow on the 258!

RT4038

Established Member
Shock horror! Maybe there won't be cross ticket acceptance! Plenty of places that just wouldn't happen. Even if there was, I doubt that the (generally) infrequent and low capacity bus services outside of the TfL area would be much use anyway. If I were a local bus operator in the area, I'm not sure that I would want a stampede of rail passengers to be crowding out my bread and butter regulars. And if the disruption is after 6pm or on a Sunday, virtually all my buses would be in the Depot anyway. Welcome to our bus world of the provinces!

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Shock horror! Maybe there won't be cross ticket acceptance! Plenty of places that just wouldn't happen. Even if there was, I doubt that the (generally) infrequent and low capacity bus services outside of the TfL area would be much use anyway. If I were a local bus operator in the area, I'm not sure that I would want a stampede of rail passengers to be crowding out my bread and butter regulars. And if the disruption is after 6pm or on a Sunday, virtually all my buses would be in the Depot anyway. Welcome to our bus world of the provinces!

Agreed. I think should there be total closure then there needs to be provisions made for additional dedicated buses being provided rather than relying on the existing network in those areas.

plcd1

I expect TfL and MTR Crossrail will put together some appropriate arrangements in the event of severe disruption. I agree there will not be the same flexibility as exists within Greater London where TfL call the shots overall in terms of revenue risk on the bus network and rail services they contract.

I believe there are more nuanced arrangements to cope with the effects of rail disruption on users of Oyster PAYG (journey time limits for example) and there is a more structured approach to cross ticket acceptance between TOCs, LU, DLR, Overground and buses. It may be that that structure is expanded to include Reading Buses and First Berkshire out west although that leaves some significant gaps between Slough and Reading.

I can't see TfL being able to take a "just put up with it" approach on Crossrail where expectations will be extremely high and criticism will fly all too readily if / when things go wrong. Hopefully TfL and MTR Crossrail will manage expectations appropriately because there are very significant risks to get through as the service builds up to maximum levels in 2019/20.

Status
Not open for further replies.