• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Oval to London Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

GodAtum

On Moderation
I'll be starting a new contract next week and need to travel from Moorgate to Morden on the Northern line. When looking at the TFL journey planner, it's directing me in completely the opposite direction counterclockwise half way across London which is frankly ridiculous!

1. Metropolitan line to King's Cross St.Pancras
  2. Victoria line to Stockwell
  3. Northern line to Morden

Surely there's a better way?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jfollows

Established Member
Northern line closed for work at Bank, see 17 week Bank blockade will now start in Jan 2022

Waterloo & City to Bank, but check that it's open, driver shortage may curtail the service.

Otherwise one change at Euston between Northern Line branches, see https://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf

I wouldn't change twice I agree.

Or, contradicting myself, Northern to Euston, Victoria to Stockwell, Northern to Morden because the walking distance at both interchanges is short.

Last edited:

deltic

Established Member
The round about route is only 14 mins longer than the direct one - if your final destination is near Liverpool Street - you may find it quicker to travel from there on the central Line to Oxford Circus to change on to the Victoria Line. If its nearer to Bank/Monument then walk to there for the Waterloo & City line or if that is not running or overcrowded Circle line to Embankment to change to the Northern.
The 733 rail replacement bus from Moorgate to Oval does not appear to be in the journey planner and depending on what time you are travelling you may find that quicker.

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Northern line closed for work at Bank, see 17 week Bank blockade will now start in Jan 2022

Waterloo & City to Bank, but check that it's open, driver shortage may curtail the service.

Otherwise one change at Euston between Northern Line branches, see https://content.tfl.gov.uk/standard-tube-map.pdf

I wouldn't change twice I agree.

Or, contradicting myself, Northern to Euston, Victoria to Stockwell, Northern to Morden because the walking distance at both interchanges is short.

At Euston, the northbound City branch Northern Line to the southbound Victoria Line is not a short interchange. Northbound-to-northbound or southbound-to-southbound is cross-platform, the other is a faff. Might as well just switch Northern Line branches while you're at it and be done with.

Given the likely congestion on the Charing Cross branch of the Northern during the Bank branch partial closure, as well a service frequencies and so on, TfL's own suggested route might not be too bad a combination of comfort and speed (providing you use the right interchange route at Kings Cross!).

jfollows

Established Member
At Euston, the northbound City branch Northern Line to the southbound Victoria Line is not a short interchange. Northbound-to-northbound or southbound-to-southbound is cross-platform, the other is a faff. Might as well just switch Northern Line branches while you're at it and be done with.

Given the likely congestion on the Charing Cross branch of the Northern during the Bank branch partial closure, as well a service frequencies and so on, TfL's own suggested route might not be too bad a combination of comfort and speed (providing you use the right interchange route at Kings Cross!).
Good clarification, thanks - I always forget which way round the close platforms are at Euston between Northern City branch and Victoria .....

jopsuk

Veteran Member
I'll be starting a new contract next week and need to travel from Moorgate to Morden on the Northern line. When looking at the TFL journey planner, it's directing me in completely the opposite direction counterclockwise half way across London which is frankly ridiculous!

Surely there's a better way?
what's your actual journey? could there be a better way?
(and if you're enough of a transport nerd to be posting on here, how had you missed the publicity campaign about the Bank upgrade/closure?)

AlbertBeale

Established Member
Good clarification, thanks - I always forget which way round the close platforms are at Euston between Northern City branch and Victoria .....

The idea is for (conceptually) northbound to (conceptually) northbound interchanges, and (conceptually) southbound to (conceptually) southbound, to be easy, so as to aid overall journeys and give greater flexibility for travel between the centre and the northern suburbs. All very sensible (even though for s/b Vic to s/b Northern, or n/b Northern to n/b Vic, you're actually travelling between Euston and KX/StP twice; but it can still be worth it!). What confuses (especially non-local) people is that the "same direction" cross-platform interchanges actually involve trains running in the opposite directions... The n/b City branch Northern Line there is actually running east to west, geographically; the n/b Victoria Line is running west to east. (And vv for s/b of course.)

This layout also relates to the way the doors keep opening on alternate sides for several stations running on the Victoria Line between Oxford Circus and Kings Cross.

Veteran Member
The idea is for (conceptually) northbound to (conceptually) northbound interchanges, and (conceptually) southbound to (conceptually) southbound, to be easy, so as to aid overall journeys and give greater flexibility for travel between the centre and the northern suburbs.
Specifically, Northern s/b to Vic s/b and v.v.
All very sensible (even though for s/b Vic to s/b Northern, or n/b Northern to n/b Vic, you're actually travelling between Euston and KX/StP twice; but it can still be worth it!).
You wouldn't do Highbury to Moorgate that way anyway (unless the Northern City was shut).

Status
Not open for further replies.