• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ovenight BoJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

sdrennan

Can someone advise on an overnight Boj
I am going to the olympics (from Glasgow) and expect that my event will mean i am unable to get the last Train to Glasgow

It will be much cheaper for me to partially travel and get a Hotel much further North. What are the restrictions on my travel and an overnight stop.

Also what routes can i take as the very late trains go to Wolverhampton and manchester. (or Crewe)

Also if anyone who knows some reasonable Hotels near these stations that i can also arrive very late, i would be grateful

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Deerfold

Veteran Member
Can someone advise on an overnight Boj
I am going to the olympics (from Glasgow) and expect that my event will mean i am unable to get the last Train to Glasgow

It will be much cheaper for me to partially travel and get a Hotel much further North. What are the restrictions on my travel and an overnight stop.

Also what routes can i take as the very late trains go to Wolverhampton and manchester. (or Crewe)

Also if anyone who knows some reasonable Hotels near these stations that i can also arrive very late, i would be grateful

If you're going to be really late the 0130 to Manchester only has half an hour to wait until a train to Preston and then 90 minutes until the train to Glasgow arriving 0914.

I'd guess that's a permitted route (I'm sure others would be surer).

This advice applies to midweek Olympic dates - what date/s are you travelling?

LexyBoy

Established Member
Fares Advisor
NRCoC said:
16. Starting, breaking or ending a journey at intermediate stations
You may start, or break and resume, a journey (in either direction in the case of a return ticket) at any intermediate station, as long as the ticket you hold is valid for the trains you want to use. You may also end your journey (in either direction in the case of a return ticket) before the destination shown on the ticket. However, these rights may not apply to some types of tickets for which a break of journey is prohibited, in which case the Ticket Seller must make this clear when you buy your ticket.

Short: If you hold an Advance ticket, you cannot break your journey; if you hold a return from Glasgow then you can.

OwlMan

Established Member
Off Peak return

If you are using an offpeak return you can break your journey as many times as you want to and for as long as you want to as long as you reach your destination by 0430 on the day following expiry (one month after outward journey) of your ticket.
What time do you think you would be able to leave either Euston or Kings Cross?

island

Veteran Member
If you are using an offpeak return you can break your journey as many times as you want to and for as long as you want to as long as you reach your destination by 0430 on the day following expiry (one month after outward journey) of your ticket.
What time do you think you would be able to leave either Euston or Kings Cross?

That is correct for this instance, but would not be correct if referring to the outbound journey, as a Glasgow Cen/Qst to London Terminals off-peak return route ANY PERMITTED has restriction 3A.

sdrennan

Best to full specify my needs

I am going to watch Olympic Tennis to the 1/8/12.
The last Train from Euston to Glasgow is at 19:30 but I think I will have to get a later train if I want to stay to the close of play. My plan would be to catch a later train and stay overnight near a station en-route.

My questions
1. Where can I stop overnight (Where will the routing guide allow?)
2. When do I have to restart my journey by?
3. any suggestions for Hotels close to stations which will be Ok with very late arrivals

OwlMan

Established Member

The last Train from Euston to Glasgow is at 19:30 but I think I will have to get a later train if I want to stay to the close of play. My plan would be to catch a later train and stay overnight near a station en-route.

My questions
3. any suggestions for Hotels close to stations which will be Ok with very late arrivals

1) Anywhere on a permitted route (there are too many to list but normally used are the East Coast service from Kings Cross to Edinburgh and then across to
Glasgow or the West Coast service from Euston to Glasgow.

2)You must rerstart before the expiary of your ticket (in your case probably in a momths time)

3) Any of the major towns/cities on route. (Birmingham, manchester, Liverpool, Preston, Peterborough, York etc
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

My questions

1) Anywhere on a permitted route (there are too many to list but normally used are the East Coast service from Kings Cross to Edinburgh and then across to
Glasgow or the West Coast service from Euston to Glasgow.

2)You must rerstart before the expiary of your ticket (in your case probably in a momths time)

3) Any of the major towns/cities on route. (Birmingham, manchester, Liverpool, Preston, Peterborough, York etc. Look at Travelodge.co.uk or www,booking.com or other hotel websites.

cuccir

Established Member
With the later Olympic timetable there are trains back to destinations in the Midlands or the North of England until around 1am. Some post-midnight times:

Manchester 00:30/01:30 (02:39/03:43)
Crewe 01:00 (02:50)
Leeds 00:01/00:45 (02:20/03:05)
Newcastle 00:30 (03:38)
Derby 00:01/00:30/00:45 (1:51/02:12/02:55)
Birmingham 00:10/01:10/01:30 (01:39/02:34/03:33)

Travelodges are good options as they'll allow check in at any time. Off the top of my head, you might consider Rugby: the journey from London is between 40 and 50 minutes, the Travelodge is next to the station, and the last train from London is at 01:10. It's not the fastest journey the next day (around 5 hours, changing in Birmingham) but the Travelodge is currently only £29.

But its worth shopping around: I'd recommend checking anywhere with a mainline station in the Midlands or Yorkshire. Just remember that when resuming your journey the next day you can't double back on yourself, so don't go heading down any branch lines....

Deerfold

Veteran Member

There is also the direct sleeper from Euston to Glasgow at 2350 (arriving 0720). Your ticket would be valid on the seated section though I'd recommend getting a reservation.

My previous advice assumed you were going to be later than this train.

34D

Established Member
There is also the direct sleeper from Euston to Glasgow at 2350 (arriving 0720). Your ticket would be valid on the seated section though I'd recommend getting a reservation.

My previous advice assumed you were going to be later than this train.

You'd also be able to pay a berth upgrade

dvboy

Established Member
Play would be finished by 23:00 at the latest at Wimbledon, nearest tube Southfields. That gives you just enough time to get to Euston for the 23:50 sleeper, so I would recommend making a reservation now.

If you miss it, not the end of the world as you can leave Euston at 1:00 and have a 3 hour connection at Crewe, or leave at 1:30 as per Deerfold's suggestion above.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.