• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overcharged by Oyster (somewhat my fault)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I've managed to get myself charged £6.90 due to having an incomplete journey. This came about because I arrived at Waterloo platform 13 and wanted to take the Bakerloo line to Leicester Square and then onto Kings Cross so seeing an entrance to the Bakerloo on the platform I took it. However, from here things went wrong. I came across a set of barriers which I touched in on, then the entrance to the Bakerloo line which was behind these barriers was blocked off so I had to go around and then touch in again on another set of barriers before continuing on as normal. It's this first touch in that has caused the me the problem as it seems that Oyster has interpreted it as me touching out not in and it doesn't know where I've come from so has charged me accordingly.

I did ask someone on the second barrier if this would be okay but I guess he didn't understand my question as he just told me to touch in and carry on as normal. So is there anyway to get my money back (as I've not actually done anything wrong) or am I just going to have to chalk this up to experience?

I've attached a copy of my journey history for yesterday if it's of any help.

Attachments

• Oyster history 4.4.12.jpg
    Oyster history 4.4.12.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 72
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Assuming you were on a paper ticket into Waterloo I'd call the helpdesk and explain. The first set of barriers are the exit from Waterloo NR followed closely by the entry to Waterloo LU. I'd imagine this is a common issue so you should have no trouble getting a refund.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Assuming you were on a paper ticket into Waterloo I'd call the helpdesk and explain. The first set of barriers are the exit from Waterloo NR followed closely by the entry to Waterloo LU. I'd imagine this is a common issue so you should have no trouble getting a refund.

I was on a paper ticket, I'll call them up. Thanks :)

Urban Gateline

Established Member
I was on a paper ticket, I'll call them up. Thanks :)

Ah ok, so in actual fact you touched OUT on the Waterloo barriers in the subway with your Oyster card instead of using the ticket to get out? Then you touched in on the LUL barriers.

I'd keep your ticket if you can to explain to a LUL ticket office when you try to get a refund, but wouldn't hold much hope in getting a refund as it was your mistake, not a fault of the system.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
If you'd used the barriers at the end of the platform to get onto the concourse I bet you'd have used your paper ticket as usual?

Must be something psychological about being underground made you use Oyster to get out when you shouldn't have... :D

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Must be something psychological about being underground made you use Oyster to get out when you shouldn't have...

Yeah that'll have been it along with thinking about what route I was going to take to get across London, I was in full on underground mode not thinking about the fact I was still platform side on National Rail.

Pretty stupid all in all, anyway I'll give 'em a call tomorrow and see what I can do.

34D

Established Member
Ah ok, so in actual fact you touched OUT on the Waterloo barriers in the subway with your Oyster card instead of using the ticket to get out? Then you touched in on the LUL barriers.

I'd keep your ticket if you can to explain to a LUL ticket office when you try to get a refund, but wouldn't hold much hope in getting a refund as it was your mistake, not a fault of the system.

I think this is a little harsh - iirc waterloo NR wasn't barriered at all until fairly recently.

Furthermore, it isn't obvious at all what a barrier line actually pertains to - if it was labelled as NR exit gateline or LU entry gateline it would be clearer.

W-on-Sea

Established Member
I've been able to get refunds without any difficulty when I've made a mistake (e.g. touching in/out with my Oyster PAYG card when I meant to put my National Rail season ticket through the gate). So long as you don't make a regular habit of it, you shouldn't have a problem either.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
I think this is a little harsh - iirc waterloo NR wasn't barriered at all until fairly recently.

Furthermore, it isn't obvious at all what a barrier line actually pertains to - if it was labelled as NR exit gateline or LU entry gateline it would be clearer.

I fully agree. If it is an easy mistake for the passengers to make then there should be notices next to the readers advising of this fact.

I do realise that not everyone will read them though ...

goldsounds

I've managed to get myself charged £6.90 due to having an incomplete journey. This came about because I arrived at Waterloo platform 13 and wanted to take the Bakerloo line to Leicester Square and then onto Kings Cross so seeing an entrance to the Bakerloo on the platform I took it. However, from here things went wrong. I came across a set of barriers which I touched in on, then the entrance to the Bakerloo line which was behind these barriers was blocked off so I had to go around and then touch in again on another set of barriers before continuing on as normal. It's this first touch in that has caused the me the problem as it seems that Oyster has interpreted it as me touching out not in and it doesn't know where I've come from so has charged me accordingly.

I did ask someone on the second barrier if this would be okay but I guess he didn't understand my question as he just told me to touch in and carry on as normal. So is there anyway to get my money back (as I've not actually done anything wrong) or am I just going to have to chalk this up to experience?

I've attached a copy of my journey history for yesterday if it's of any help.

You can request a refund however you have 28 days to do this as it states in the Conditions of Carriage :)

Status
Not open for further replies.