• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overcharged on ticket(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

FatContr0ller

Hi all, I just bought 2 adult 1 child CDR on Privs, was advised by the booking office that overbuying is cheaper (I checked on BRfares after and it wasnt) I also work in a booking office and we have these fare hiccups on our line so I expected this to be the same. Im not worried about the price difference- but should I mention as colleague courtesy on my return or leave it? (I'm torn between never dropping a fellow rail worker in it and hating to see rail workers not doing their jobs correctly (especially in the same role as me!) So just a bit of advice needed

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

FatContr0ller

Overbuying - buying to a destination further than the one we are travelling to

And I wanted 3x cheap day returns from Tottenham Hale to St Margarets (herts)
Got sold 3x CDR Tottenham Hale to Hertford East. Booking clerk said was cheaper.
On my line we have a fare that on weekends is slightly cheaper to sell to terminal than a few stops before- so I assumed the "local" clerk would be correct.
Like I said I'm not worried about the price difference, on a priv it's about a quid fifty- but if they did it to me, how many pax are getting mis-sold fares

[.n]

Personally I would mention in private to the person who mis-sold you the ticket on your return something non-judgemental like

"out of curiosity, I was just checking my understanding of the fares, and I thought I worked it out to be £X for the tickets I wanted, rather than £Y for the other tickets - just wondered if I misses a trick somewhere for any future trips I might make"

This allows them to consider both options and indeed there might be a valid reason why the other ones are better (fully flexible, allow different TOCs - who knows? If not then its a gentle nudge to the colleague to reconsider their advice for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.