• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overdistance excess - admin fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mathmo

This weekend I wanted to get an overdistance excess on the return portion of an Off-Peak Return. The member of staff at the ticket office initially quoted me an amount for the excess plus a £10 admin fee. When I said I wasn't paying that as it was cheaper to buy a new ticket (it was) she immediately said she'd "waived" the £10 admin fee (which made it much cheaper to get the excess), and I bought it with no complaint.

Is there really such a thing as an admin fee on excesses? And if so, why did the member of staff at the ticket office waive it so quickly?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
There is no admin charge for an excess on a walk-on ticket.

Tomonthetrain

Established Member
Was it a VT office at a station called WVH?

If so then they have tried to do it to me! I just persisted with the argument...and when I suggested they check the manual they gave up and did it anyway without the fee

RJ

Established Member
There is no admin charge for an excess on a walk-on ticket.

Changing the date of a ticket can be done as a zero fare excess, for which there is a right to add the admin fee supplement.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Changing the date of a ticket can be done as a zero fare excess, for which there is a right to add the admin fee supplement.

Isn't that more of a refund and a new issue effectively combined as one transaction?

RJ

Established Member
No, it's changing the ticket and the supplement is aptly named "Change of journey admin fee." A refund is an entirely different process which sees the original ticket retained. It takes longer and requires a lot more paperwork. As they say, there's more than one way to skin a cat ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.