• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Overground Barking - Clapham/Richmond - Are through services feasible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mr_jrt

Established Member
Bit late to the party on this thread, but I'm a strong advocate for diverting services away from Euston to Camdren Road, and sorting Willesden Junction out once and for all to provide capacity for Barking services to Richmond. Access from Kensal Green, Queens Park, & South Hampstead to Euston would be by changing at either Willesden Junction or Chalk Farm/Primrose Hill (linked by a new passageway) to WCML slow lines or the Northern Line, respectively. Or just hopping on a bus - it's hardly very far. As suggested upthread, you make paths for Goblin services through Hampstead Heath by routing some NLL services via Primrose Hill. Ideally, I'd like to see most if not all of the freight shifted from the NLL to the Goblin by altering the connections to the GEML near Manor Park, though there's (or at least, there used to be when I last looked) plenty of room even with a reinstated island platform to add a pair of long freight loops at Primrose Hill.

As a bonus, here's a bit of crayoning I did many years ago for Willesden (lighter sections are what you'd build immediately, and darker sections what you'd leave space for adding later):
Willesden%20Junction.png

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Wolfie

Established Member
Bit late to the party on this thread, but I'm a strong advocate for diverting services away from Euston to Camdren Road, and sorting Willesden Junction out once and for all to provide capacity for Barking services to Richmond. Access from Kensal Green, Queens Park, & South Hampstead to Euston would be by changing at either Willesden Junction or Chalk Farm/Primrose Hill (linked by a new passageway) to WCML slow lines or the Northern Line, respectively. Or just hopping on a bus - it's hardly very far. As suggested upthread, you make paths for Goblin services through Hampstead Heath by routing some NLL services via Primrose Hill. Ideally, I'd like to see most if not all of the freight shifted from the NLL to the Goblin by altering the connections to the GEML near Manor Park, though there's (or at least, there used to be when I last looked) plenty of room even with a reinstated island platform to add a pair of long freight loops at Primrose Hill.

As a bonus, here's a bit of crayoning I did many years ago for Willesden (lighter sections are what you'd build immediately, and darker sections what you'd leave space for adding later):
Willesden%20Junction.png
I would love to know what evidence there is of any demand for that. For sure those whose current journeys would be affected would very definitely be against.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I would love to know what evidence there is of any demand for that. For sure those whose current journeys would be affected would very definitely be against.
TfL are firmly against removal of the DC lines from Euston anyway. It’s a nice drawing, but incredibly unlikely.

Railwaysceptic

Established Member
Would the freight access the WCML via the goblin, meaning the WLL between Gospel Oak and Willesden can’t take the proposals here?

Whether emanating from NLL and Stratford or Goblin and Barking, freight trains heading for the WCML travel along the NLL between Gospel Oak and Kensal Green Junction and divert there. So that section of the NLL has very little spare capacity.

mr_jrt

Established Member
I forgot the last part of my crayoning - a tunnel from Junction Road on the Goblin to Finchley Road on the MML. Subterranean platforms at Gospel Oak, maybe an interchange at Belsize Park, and a link from the new portal to the Hendon lines at West Hampstead. Also gets freight from the Goblin to the Hendon lines without having to cross the MML.

Means you get a capacity balance between Watford-Willesden LL-Primrose Hill-Dalston, Clapham Junction-Willesden HL-Hampstead Heath-Stratford, and Richmond-OOC Lane-West Hampstead-Gospel Oak-Barking.

Wolfie

Established Member
I forgot the last part of my crayoning - a tunnel from Junction Road on the Goblin to Finchley Road on the MML. Subterranean platforms at Gospel Oak, maybe an interchange at Belsize Park, and a link from the new portal to the Hendon lines at West Hampstead. Also gets freight from the Goblin to the Hendon lines without having to cross the MML.

Means you get a capacity balance between Watford-Willesden LL-Primrose Hill-Dalston, Clapham Junction-Willesden HL-Hampstead Heath-Stratford, and Richmond-OOC Lane-West Hampstead-Gospel Oak-Barking.
None of your proposals have anything like a good enough justification to merit the expenditure of a probable nine figure sum.

cle

Established Member
I think station(s) at OOC are by far and away the most important LO investment to make - with massive connectivity for the network as a whole. And then turning on the 6th tph on each - which I understand is the limit. 5tph on each line is pretty decent though.

WLO couldn't even exist without it either, but NLL/WLL far higher priority.

Sad Sprinter

Established Member
I think station(s) at OOC are by far and away the most important LO investment to make - with massive connectivity for the network as a whole. And then turning on the 6th tph on each - which I understand is the limit. 5tph on each line is pretty decent though.

WLO couldn't even exist without it either, but NLL/WLL far higher priority.

Is an LO OOC station going ahead? Should have been built with Crossrail anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.